+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife who had previous domestic violence issues in Canada

shanernewman

Mar 10, 2015
Hi all,

We are just wondering how a previous domestic violence incident will effect our application. About three years ago my wife was working in Canada and was in an abusive relationship. It got heated one time and there was a drunk altercation at the club and her boyfriend hit her. She went home but he was picked up by the cops. When he got to the station he said he was just defending himself and gave the cops all her information. A few weeks later he hit her again and was arrested again. My wife was given a ride down to the station to give a statement. When she was there the cop noted that he had the previous altercation on file. He was charged, she never heard anything more about it, and they broke up. We're just worried that this will show up on her police background check and cause issues. She was absolutely never charged with a crime, however her ex did claim that she attacked him. Will this cause problems? She was on a work visa at the time, and is now on a visitor visa. She has left and returned to Canada multiple times since then with no issues. Are we ok? Everything I've read said that as long as there's no criminal conviction (which there absolutely isn't) then you're ok. Please reassure me!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
She is OK. The police apparently did not believe her boyfriend when he said she hit him first, as she was never charged, or even questioned about it. Her boyfriend being arrested twice for domestic violence makes it look like he was lying.

shanernewman

Mar 10, 2015
Should we write an additional letter to explain the situation? I'm pretty sure when the police pull her Canadian record, there will be mention of these incidents. How much will that affect our application? Has anyone seen this situation before? Will it add delays?

MaryLou6

Oct 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga, INLAND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014, common-law
Doc's Request.
OWP received May 26.2015, SA & AIP August 31, 2015, DM on September 3, 2015
AOR Received.
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
24-09-2015
shanernewman said:
Should we write an additional letter to explain the situation? I'm pretty sure when the police pull her Canadian record, there will be mention of these incidents. How much will that affect our application? Has anyone seen this situation before? Will it add delays?
I'm so sorry for her.
She was a victim in an abusive relationship, there won't be any delays caused by that. Police didn't believe the ex and she wasn't charged with anything, so you're safe :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
shanernewman said:
There is no need to write a letter explaining that she was a victim. There will be no issue with the app; it will not affect processing or delay it in any way.

shanernewman

Mar 10, 2015
Thank you so much for your responses. He definitely told the police she attacked him first though. She's just worried that this will look bad for her since it most likely will be stated in her record. Hopefully we'll get the background check back soon and find out for sure what it says. We're using a lawyer as well so we'll have him review it before we send it in.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If you are worried that it will show up in her police record check, it won't. She was not charged and her fingerprints were not taken.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
shanernewman said:
Thank you so much for your responses. He definitely told the police she attacked him first though. She's just worried that this will look bad for her since it most likely will be stated in her record. Hopefully we'll get the background check back soon and find out for sure what it says. We're using a lawyer as well so we'll have him review it before we send it in.
She wasn't arrested, she wasn't charged, she didn't commit a crime, so it doesn't mean anything. Canada is not a country that punishes victims.