Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tpx1915 said:
1. My wife and I were married in Korea and have a translation of our documents certified by a notary. Do we need to get married again in Ontario?
No, you don't need to get married again nor register your marriage anywhere in Ontario. If anyone needs proof you are married (perhaps for insurance, employer benefits, etc) then just the Korean marriage certificate with English translation will be suitable. For the CRA just change your marital status online to married, and next taxes file as married (they don't usually ask for proof of marriage and just take you at your word).

2. My wife would like to go by a different name in Canada. She wants to use her English "nickname" and my family name. How could we go about changing her name or is that not possible with a PR request in progress? I'm sure it's complicated and it's possible that no one on here will have a good answer.
I've read other people on this site have changed their name while PR app is being processed. However personally I wouldn't try changing her name now, and would wait until she already has PR in hand. You could probably ask this question as a new topic (not in this Korean thread) and get more answers.

Remember she will still be a Korean citizen for several years even after getting PR, so will also need to check if she needs to change the name on her passport, with Korean family register, etc. With pretty much every Korean i've met here in Canada that has married a Canadian, they all keep Korean first name, take Canadian last name, and just use English nickname as a non-official name.

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
Since we dont need send in my wife's passport, how do some people have a PPR date? What will the status in ecas show? It looks like they will be working on October applicants soon so I'm just curious how I know they have started working on our application. Do they send an email or do I have to keep checking ecas?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
CanAsian said:
Since we dont need send in my wife's passport, how do some people have a PPR date? What will the status in ecas show? It looks like they will be working on October applicants soon so I'm just curious how I know they have started working on our application. Do they send an email or do I have to keep checking ecas?
They will probably send you an email request for Appendix A and any other additional documents they require.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Oh, the disappointment!

I received the most recent GCMS notes on my wife's application this morning. I usually start reading them from the bottom because that's where the most recent VO entries are. I saw this note made on April 29, 2014;

I have reviewed the application and documentation submitted. FOSS check OK,. Based on the details and the facts of the case, on the balance of probabilities I am satisfied that the relationship between the sponsor and applicant is genuine, and that the applicant meets the requirements of the IRPA. Criminality passed, FOSS check OK. OK with information at this time. Background information appears to be complete. No gaps in personal history. Police certificates OK, no inadmissibility concerns on criminality basis, all statutory requirements met. APPLICATION APPROVED.
Yay!

Then just above it, another note made later the same day.

NOTE ENTERED IN ERROR while doing group processing. Please disregard notes re:criminality and eligibility approved and stating all statutory requirements met. Does not reflect processing stage nor review of file.
Guess my wife's application was approved for a few hours and then thrown back on the pile. :'(

tpx1915

Mar 3, 2014
Bartjones,

That's awful news! I can't imagine how frustrating this must be. Thank you for helping out the rest of us!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
tpx1915 said:
Bartjones,

That's awful news! I can't imagine how frustrating this must be. Thank you for helping out the rest of us!
Thanks. But, after 14 months and all the hoops we've had to jump through, we've gotten a little numb to these sorts of things.

There was good news today from the OHIP folks. My wife is now eligible for OHIP and we're off to Service Ontario to apply for her card. :)

tpx1915

Mar 3, 2014
Quick question:

My wife and I are in Canada. She's on a tourist visa while we wait to hear from the CIC. Can she get a work visa in the meantime?
Thanks to anyone who knows!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tpx1915 said:
Quick question:

My wife and I are in Canada. She's on a tourist visa while we wait to hear from the CIC. Can she get a work visa in the meantime?
Thanks to anyone who knows!
Quick answer is no.

Basically there are only 2 ways she can work
1. Get the Korean equivalent of the working holiday visa (IEC program only available to people under 30, and usually spots are filled up super quick), see here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/korea-coree/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx )
2. Find an employer willing to go through LMO process successfully, after which she could apply for closed-work permit to work for that company. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

Both can be done while an outland app is in process, but are not easy options.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
bartjones said:
I received the most recent GCMS notes on my wife's application this morning. I usually start reading them from the bottom because that's where the most recent VO entries are. I saw this note made on April 29, 2014
I just got my GCMS notes. A month to the day that I sent in the request. The last note has the following:

Code:
On assigned BF.  Meds expired; auto emeds issued today. RPRF paid.  CSQ details noted in GCMS. RCMP check shows no reportable trace. File queued for eligibility review.
I am guessing that this means that the file goes back into the pile while they wait for the new medical report.

Also, my girlfriend and I have decided to wait out the remainder in Canada. I figured we would cross (into Quebec) and tell them the story. Would it be wise to show them the CSQ? Another question comes to mind, is it possible to have the PR sent to our address in Canada (I am thinking positively here after 18 months!!).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
costaudjoe said:
Also, my girlfriend and I have decided to wait out the remainder in Canada. I figured we would cross (into Quebec) and tell them the story. Would it be wise to show them the CSQ? Another question comes to mind, is it possible to have the PR sent to our address in Canada (I am thinking positively here after 18 months!!).
Will you fly directly into Quebec from another country? Or will you drive there or take a domestic flight from another Canadian province?

If you are flying into Quebec then you can definitely show them your CSQ and the application in progress at immigration. If you are entering Quebec domestically, then there is nobody to show anything to as there is no customs or immigration to deal with.

And yes, she should change address to Canada if she's staying in Canada. After PR is approved, they can mail her COPR landing documents directly to Canada address, and you can then land at nearest USA land border.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
costaudjoe said:
I just got my GCMS notes. A month to the day that I sent in the request. The last note has the following:

Code:
On assigned BF.  Meds expired; auto emeds issued today. RPRF paid.  CSQ details noted in GCMS. RCMP check shows no reportable trace. File queued for eligibility review.
I am guessing that this means that the file goes back into the pile while they wait for the new medical report.
What is the date on that note and have you received a request to redo the medical?

PatientCanuck

Mar 3, 2014
toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul ---->Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/2013
File Transfer...
end of 01/2013 to seoul
Med's Request
03/2014 asked for remed and crim recheck
Med's Done....
03/2014
Interview........
06/2014-E -CAS update shows decision made, waiting on what the decision is
Just thought i would throw up a post regarding my wife's application, since i recieved your help on the forum here a few months ago and anyone else who is concerned about the length of their application.

My wife's application is still being reviewed after sending in most recent request for updated appendix A, police check with translation and updated meds.

Had MP call in today, apparently the "carry forward day is May 30" where they decide if we are eligible, which is then followed by a background check, ( not sure what that entails). Was advised by MP to check in start of July.

Our original application date was on January 2013, and was sent to Seoul end of January 2013. Almost a year and a half now, i'm starting to expect that this whole process with PR cards, etc is giong to hit the 2 year mark assuming we get approved.

Ugh.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Rob_TO said:
Will you fly directly into Quebec from another country? Or will you drive there or take a domestic flight from another Canadian province?

If you are flying into Quebec then you can definitely show them your CSQ and the application in progress at immigration. If you are entering Quebec domestically, then there is nobody to show anything to as there is no customs or immigration to deal with.

And yes, she should change address to Canada if she's staying in Canada. After PR is approved, they can mail her COPR landing documents directly to Canada address, and you can then land at nearest USA land border.
Ya we are flying through the States into Montreal. Usually I do the Nexus line to blow through customs. This time I will go with her through the regular line and show them the CSQ and visa application.