Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
Wow - why is it taking so long. They were supposed to have decreased the waiting times and Rabat was only supposed to take around 9 months before the changes. They received our application on Aug 30, 2017 and file was transferred to Rabat last month on Jan. 23rd. Looks like we are going to have a long wait!
We are a year in a process, short of 3 days....if you saw the immigration Minister of Canada on 14-Feb-2018 and his speech about simplifying the process (finally!) and the backlog they have accumulated...then we are the unlucky one to still sit and wait. Those who are applying now, maybe coming faster than us with all the changes communicated by the government.,

Angeldust

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
We are a year in a process, short of 3 days....if you saw the immigration Minister of Canada on 14-Feb-2018 and his speech about simplifying the process (finally!) and the backlog they have accumulated...then we are the unlucky one to still sit and wait. Those who are applying now, maybe coming faster than us with all the changes communicated by the government.,
I heard Rabat was supposed to be one of the fastest embassies, guess that changed. Some people on here are getting put through in 6 months or less without an interview. I guess once you are in the interview cue, it will be at least a year. We weren't told yet we needed an interview, but from what I see on here most applicants from Morocco get one. I hope the wait is over for you and your husband soon.:)

Yes, I suppose the new applicants could be getting through faster. I have been hearing different things about the processing times though. I heard they are counting applications that they are sending back because they are missing minor information as applications that they have processed - which I hear amounts to a lot. Some people on the appeals thread think they are turning down a lot more applicants just to say they have processed so many more applications.

I also read an article by an immigration lawyer who said that even though they raised the amount of applicants they are now accepting, they will still be turning down a lot more people by speeding up the processing time because they will reach their quotas of how many applicants they are allowed to accept for the year faster. He said they didn't increase the quotas in comparison to the amount of applications they are now processing.

It is a good thing for the people that have been waiting for years to get put through faster, but in my opinion I don't think it is fair to have yearly quotas and then to substantially increase the amount of applications they are putting through. It looks good for the government that they are processing more applications, but I don't think it is necessarily good for all the sponsors and applicants because they would have to be turning a lot more people down.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/departmental-plan-2017-2018/departmental-plan.html#sec06-3

I have attached the above link that shows the quotas because a lot of people don't think family sponsorship has quotas - Program 2.1 is the quotas for the number of admissions for total Family Class, humanitarian and compassionate grounds, and public policy grounds.

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
I heard Rabat was supposed to be one of the fastest embassies, guess that changed. Some people on here are getting put through in 6 months or less without an interview. I guess once you are in the interview cue, it will be at least a year. We weren't told yet we needed an interview, but from what I see on here most applicants from Morocco get one. I hope the wait is over for you and your husband soon.:)

Yes, I suppose the new applicants could be getting through faster. I have been hearing different things about the processing times though. I heard they are counting applications that they are sending back because they are missing minor information as applications that they have processed - which I hear amounts to a lot. Some people on the appeals thread think they are turning down a lot more applicants just to say they have processed so many more applications.

I also read an article by an immigration lawyer who said that even though they raised the amount of applicants they are now accepting, they will still be turning down a lot more people by speeding up the processing time because they will reach their quotas of how many applicants they are allowed to accept for the year faster. He said they didn't increase the quotas in comparison to the amount of applications they are now processing.

It is a good thing for the people that have been waiting for years to get put through faster, but in my opinion I don't think it is fair to have yearly quotas and then to substantially increase the amount of applications they are putting through. It looks good for the government that they are processing more applications, but I don't think it is necessarily good for all the sponsors and applicants because they would have to be turning a lot more people down.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/departmental-plan-2017-2018/departmental-plan.html#sec06-3

I have attached the above link that shows the quotas because a lot of people don't think family sponsorship has quotas - Program 2.1 is the quotas for the number of admissions for total Family Class, humanitarian and compassionate grounds, and public policy grounds.
Thank you for your insight, based on the experience dealing with Rabat office, I would say they are very stringed and to have interview waver would be a great luck. Considering several threads and even Canada travel advise Morocco is considered high risk country when marriage scam is being used, I guess they have their own grounds based on the statistics and hence is the amount of denials as soon as the immigration feels that there are certain red flags. I would say it is a tough office to go through and common people like us who have genuine relationships have to pay the coin in terms of procedural timing. And I would say that it would be easier on people (I do not mind waiting) if there is a transparency on what the embassy is exactly doing. Our update for 6 months has been: 'We need more documents and will contact you with detail" and for 6 months every day you open CIC account and it drives you nuts as nobody responds to you requests, nobody can give you any information on what exactly they need...etc. this is frustrating. I guess that's where they need to improve. In terms of quota, I don't see how people should plan their lives around Canadian family quatos as we can not plan when we fall in love and sometimes even marriage timing or kids planning is out of our control. Just stay strong and follow on each individual case as there are also administrative and human errors, just be in control of that process as much as you can. Good luck to all!

Angeldust

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
Thanks, it is discouraging to see all people getting put through fast without an interview. I am happy for them, but it makes me feel sometimes like it is never going to happen for me.

I agree, that it would be easier if they let us know what was going on with our applications. I last heard from them on Jan. 23rd and that was just to say it was received in Rabat - they didn't ask for any new information and nothing has changed anytime I check my application on the CIC website. I think once it reaches Rabat, if they don't need any new information, they just set our files on the interview shelf and we have to wait our turn.

That would drive me crazy, though, if they said they needed more information and then never contacted me to get it. They don't seem to be very organised.

This process if very frustrating especially when your file goes to a country like Morocco where it seems like you have to do a lot more to prove your marriage is genuine. A lot of people on here say not to worry about the interview because as long as your marriage is genuine the VO will see that. I have seen a lot of cases in the appeals thread where that seems to be untrue. I sometimes think the deck is stacked against us already.

I don't expect to hear from them again until probably around August, if it is going to take 12 months. Thank you for your encouragement. I will try to keep good thoughts.

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
Thanks, it is discouraging to see all people getting put through fast without an interview. I am happy for them, but it makes me feel sometimes like it is never going to happen for me.

I agree, that it would be easier if they let us know what was going on with our applications. I last heard from them on Jan. 23rd and that was just to say it was received in Rabat - they didn't ask for any new information and nothing has changed anytime I check my application on the CIC website. I think once it reaches Rabat, if they don't need any new information, they just set our files on the interview shelf and we have to wait our turn.

That would drive me crazy, though, if they said they needed more information and then never contacted me to get it. They don't seem to be very organised.

This process if very frustrating especially when your file goes to a country like Morocco where it seems like you have to do a lot more to prove your marriage is genuine. A lot of people on here say not to worry about the interview because as long as your marriage is genuine the VO will see that. I have seen a lot of cases in the appeals thread where that seems to be untrue. I sometimes think the deck is stacked against us already.

I don't expect to hear from them again until probably around August, if it is going to take 12 months. Thank you for your encouragement. I will try to keep good thoughts.
I know it is frustrating to wait. Just to give you some insights. I have provided all required evidence with the file. The file was transferred to Rabat end June 2017 and somewhat by the end of July or beg.August (now I do not remember) the status was changed: 'We need more documents..." I called CIC in Canada, sent 5 requests to Rabat, nothing was working for 6 months, then finally in January 2018 they sent an email asking for more proofs, like more wedding and engagement photos, travel photos, flight bookings and boarding passes, hotel/apartment reservations, photos with family, text messages and telephone call records etc. I have collected 1.5 kg of papers including 350 photos, 200 pages of texts and 50 pages of telephone calls etc. and sent them bu DHL. 2 weeks later my husband got invitation to interview and again was asked to bring more evidence, i.e. more photos, proofs of travel etc.(as in the above request). So we had to print out evidence of my last trip in January with all photos and other proofs so that he could bring that to interview. During the interview he was given back 1.5 kg of papers which I sent to them shortly before. I would suggest to keep everything you have in terms of interaction with each other and visits, just keep everything organised. I am not sure if they request the same from majority, but to have evidence already collected and organised helps a lot. If you need more detail or info you can contact me at lanaslami_to@hotmail.com.

Angeldust

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
I know it is frustrating to wait. Just to give you some insights. I have provided all required evidence with the file. The file was transferred to Rabat end June 2017 and somewhat by the end of July or beg.August (now I do not remember) the status was changed: 'We need more documents..." I called CIC in Canada, sent 5 requests to Rabat, nothing was working for 6 months, then finally in January 2018 they sent an email asking for more proofs, like more wedding and engagement photos, travel photos, flight bookings and boarding passes, hotel/apartment reservations, photos with family, text messages and telephone call records etc. I have collected 1.5 kg of papers including 350 photos, 200 pages of texts and 50 pages of telephone calls etc. and sent them bu DHL. 2 weeks later my husband got invitation to interview and again was asked to bring more evidence, i.e. more photos, proofs of travel etc.(as in the above request). So we had to print out evidence of my last trip in January with all photos and other proofs so that he could bring that to interview. During the interview he was given back 1.5 kg of papers which I sent to them shortly before. I would suggest to keep everything you have in terms of interaction with each other and visits, just keep everything organised. I am not sure if they request the same from majority, but to have evidence already collected and organised helps a lot. If you need more detail or info you can contact me at lanaslami_to@hotmail.com.

Wow - thanks for the warning. I didn't think they would ask for all that stuff where as they seemed to want so little for the application. I had hundreds of pictures I wanted to send because I found it hard to decide which ones to send and they would only take 20. I better start collecting the other proofs too. I originally had all of that but when they said they only want 10 pages max I threw them out - :oops: - I better start printing them off again and organizing. Thanks so much for your email - I will be contacting you. I thought I didn't have to worry about anything until the interview - I am so glad you told me. I am sure we will get same email as I am going through the Rabat embassy too.

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
Wow - thanks for the warning. I didn't think they would ask for all that stuff where as they seemed to want so little for the application. I had hundreds of pictures I wanted to send because I found it hard to decide which ones to send and they would only take 20. I better start collecting the other proofs too. I originally had all of that but when they said they only want 10 pages max I threw them out - :oops: - I better start printing them off again and organizing. Thanks so much for your email - I will be contacting you. I thought I didn't have to worry about anything until the interview - I am so glad you told me. I am sure we will get same email as I am going through the Rabat embassy too.
That's exactly what happened with me as I was going by law and now I understand those people who send a bunch upfront it saves them time. Mine was 20 pages exact and I guess it was not enough for them while they were reviewing. Also I put a lot of photos aside likewise texts when thatguidance changed to 20 pages as in our case we were during that time of change in December 2016 so I had to re-do my package.

lasca

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
App. Filed.......
23-02-2017
AOR Received.
05-04-2017
File Transfer...
19-05-2017
Med's Done....
23-11-2016
Interview........
07-02-2018
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2018
That's exactly what happened with me as I was going by law and now I understand those people who send a bunch upfront it saves them time. Mine was 20 pages exact and I guess it was not enough for them while they were reviewing. Also I put a lot of photos aside likewise texts when thatguidance changed to 20 pages as in our case we were during that time of change in December 2016 so I had to re-do my package.
My husband was invited to get visa on 28/02/2018, the process is complete. We are wishing all of you all the best and hope that you will have favorable decision from immigration.

allyh

Star Member
Sep 17, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
12-03-2018
AOR Received.
25-04-2018
File Transfer...
18-05-2018
Med's Request
04-05-2018
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
15-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2019
LANDED..........
01-04-2019
Hi Folks

I am a Canadian man who married a Moroccan woman on January 2018. I am in the process of submitting the documents for sponsorship. The forms are filled out and signed and I have provided proof of our relationship (hopefully it is enough). I am stumped on the proof of income portion. I am self employed but I cannot find any information on what I can provide being self employed. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Angeldust

Star Member
Jan 30, 2018
Hi Folks

I am a Canadian man who married a Moroccan woman on January 2018. I am in the process of submitting the documents for sponsorship. The forms are filled out and signed and I have provided proof of our relationship (hopefully it is enough). I am stumped on the proof of income portion. I am self employed but I cannot find any information on what I can provide being self employed. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
I am an independent contractor and I wrote a letter explaining what I do. I explained to them as I do not have an employer, I do not have anyone else to write a letter for me. They never asked me for anything else. I just sent them my income tax assessments.

allyh

Star Member
Sep 17, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
12-03-2018
AOR Received.
25-04-2018
File Transfer...
18-05-2018
Med's Request
04-05-2018
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
15-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2019
LANDED..........
01-04-2019
I am an independent contractor and I wrote a letter explaining what I do. I explained to them as I do not have an employer, I do not have anyone else to write a letter for me. They never asked me for anything else.
Thanks for that tip Angeldust, I will do the same and write a letter explaining my situation.

CarrieK

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
I know it is frustrating to wait. Just to give you some insights. I have provided all required evidence with the file. The file was transferred to Rabat end June 2017 and somewhat by the end of July or beg.August (now I do not remember) the status was changed: 'We need more documents..." I called CIC in Canada, sent 5 requests to Rabat, nothing was working for 6 months, then finally in January 2018 they sent an email asking for more proofs, like more wedding and engagement photos, travel photos, flight bookings and boarding passes, hotel/apartment reservations, photos with family, text messages and telephone call records etc. I have collected 1.5 kg of papers including 350 photos, 200 pages of texts and 50 pages of telephone calls etc. and sent them bu DHL. 2 weeks later my husband got invitation to interview and again was asked to bring more evidence, i.e. more photos, proofs of travel etc.(as in the above request). So we had to print out evidence of my last trip in January with all photos and other proofs so that he could bring that to interview. During the interview he was given back 1.5 kg of papers which I sent to them shortly before. I would suggest to keep everything you have in terms of interaction with each other and visits, just keep everything organised. I am not sure if they request the same from majority, but to have evidence already collected and organised helps a lot. If you need more detail or info you can contact me at lanaslami_to@hotmail.com.[/QUOTE
it seems like the process is longer and requires interviews more, for husbands, coming from Africa than for wives. I don’t want to think that there is inequality but I know that and prejudices still exist. Stay strong it will happen. We are only at SA stage of the process and pray he will be here by the end of the year.

Reactions: Angeldust

CarrieK

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
I am an independent contractor and I wrote a letter explaining what I do. I explained to them as I do not have an employer, I do not have anyone else to write a letter for me. They never asked me for anything else. I just sent them my income tax assessments.
I did the same thing. I run my own corporation. So sent letter of explanation and tax assessment.

Reactions: allyh

allyh

Star Member
Sep 17, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Rabat
App. Filed.......
12-03-2018
AOR Received.
25-04-2018
File Transfer...
18-05-2018
Med's Request
04-05-2018
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
15-03-2019
VISA ISSUED...
20-03-2019
LANDED..........
01-04-2019
I did the same thing. I run my own corporation. So sent letter of explanation and tax assessment.
I just submitted my application package. It should arrive to the processing centre on Monday and I guess that's when they will start working on my application. Based on the recent comments I am going to have to play the waiting game.