+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring husband from Morocco

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When he goes to the registry and gives up his foreign license to be sent to the AB government, he will not have a license so he can not drive until he is allowed to take the road test.

If he takes the written test at the same time he gives up his foreign license, he will get a learners license but that will only allow him to drive with another person who has a license.

In any case, he has to take the written test before he can take the road test. Is he ready to take the written test at this time? Has he been studying?

You can also go to a registry and discuss how it is best to do this regarding the time line.

Also note this. When I did this, I was told at the registry that they would let me know when the AB government would allow me to take the road test. They told me it would take 4 weeks. When I didn't hear back within 6 weeks, I phoned the registry and they gave me a number to call at the AB government. I phoned and they said first of all, it doesn't take 4 weeks, it takes about 2 and 2nd, they don't let anybody know, you have to keep checking up if you are processed yet. At that time, I was already processed 4 weeks ago and so I could take the road test right away but note that you have to check up, they will not tell you.

MsLynie

Sep 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2010
Doc's Request.
15-12-2010
Leon said:
When he goes to the registry and gives up his foreign license to be sent to the AB government, he will not have a license so he can not drive until he is allowed to take the road test.

If he takes the written test at the same time he gives up his foreign license, he will get a learners license but that will only allow him to drive with another person who has a license.

In any case, he has to take the written test before he can take the road test. Is he ready to take the written test at this time? Has he been studying?

You can also go to a registry and discuss how it is best to do this regarding the time line.

Also note this. When I did this, I was told at the registry that they would let me know when the AB government would allow me to take the road test. They told me it would take 4 weeks. When I didn't hear back within 6 weeks, I phoned the registry and they gave me a number to call at the AB government. I phoned and they said first of all, it doesn't take 4 weeks, it takes about 2 and 2nd, they don't let anybody know, you have to keep checking up if you are processed yet. At that time, I was already processed 4 weeks ago and so I could take the road test right away but note that you have to check up, they will not tell you.
Yeah he's been studying. What if he fails the test, would his license still be taken to the AB government? I will talk to him about this and try to find a solution. He already has a job, so we kind of want to get him to start driving before my school starts in September as trying to find a ride for him will be complicated (he works in the industrial area of edmonton where's no buses or anything there). We better start making a move then if we will have to wait 2 weeks, and to make sure that he will pass the written test.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MsLynie said:
Yeah he's been studying. What if he fails the test, would his license still be taken to the AB government? I will talk to him about this and try to find a solution. He already has a job, so we kind of want to get him to start driving before my school starts in September as trying to find a ride for him will be complicated (he works in the industrial area of edmonton where's no buses or anything there). We better start making a move then if we will have to wait 2 weeks, and to make sure that he will pass the written test.
Talk to the registry. I think maybe he can try the written test without giving his license away just yet. If he doesn't have his license by September, I am sure he can find a co-worker who will car-pool, if only to the nearest bus stop and it wouldn't be a for long time, only until he has his license.

H

HayatElFadil

Salam walaikum Stealth and everybody,

My sisters husband is part of the Moroccan Society of Alberta so he could introduce him to some people. My husband will be here tomorrow night, Inshae ALLAH. I'm so excited it will be our anniversary. I'm so glad we can be together for Ramadan.

Everybody's husband or wife being sponsored from Morocco should get their international driver's licence from Morocco its better and easier than getting it here so don't let them hesitate. It less time to wait for it too.

Salam walaikum

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually, the international drivers licence was unneccessary for my husband in BC. All he needed was his regular license. He had to do the written test and once he passed, he was allowed to take the road test immediately to be granted a full class 5 license. However, each province is different. Sounds like having the international license is an advantage in Alberta but it's not for BC.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rjessome said:
Sounds like having the international license is an advantage in Alberta but it's not for BC.
Not really. The only thing you gain in AB with an international license is that you don't have to get your regular license it translated.

One thing that should be recommended though is to get all your translations done before coming to Canada because you may not be able to find a certified translator where you end up plus it is probably more expensive in Canada.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
Anyone have any idea if there is an advantage in Ontario to the International Drivers License??

Gonna have to start a check list of "should be done before arriving".

Almost as stressful as the marriage....lol

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dair2dv8103100 said:
Anyone have any idea if there is an advantage in Ontario to the International Drivers License??
Only if you are visiting. As a visitor to ON, you may drive on your foreign license for up to 90 days but if you have an international license, it is longer.

As a new resident of ON, you may only drive on your foreign license for up to 60 days, then you must exchange it. You can see this at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.shtml

You can read about exchanging a foreign license here: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Leon said:
Only if you are visiting. As a visitor to ON, you may drive on your foreign license for up to 90 days but if you have an international license, it is longer.

As a new resident of ON, you may only drive on your foreign license for up to 60 days, then you must exchange it. You can see this at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/visiting.shtml

You can read about exchanging a foreign license here: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx
Awesome! Thank you ;D

Habibti

Apr 4, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat, Morocco
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-01-2011 / 06-09-2012
Interview........
12-09-2011 / Denied 4-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
January 9, 2013
LANDED..........
January 18, 2013 in Montreal
rjessome said:
Actually, the international drivers licence was unneccessary for my husband in BC. All he needed was his regular license. He had to do the written test and once he passed, he was allowed to take the road test immediately to be granted a full class 5 license. However, each province is different. Sounds like having the international license is an advantage in Alberta but it's not for BC.
Thank you!!! That is good to know for my husband (Morocco) and I (BC, Canada) !!!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
About translation of the driver's license, Mosaic in BC does it for a flat rate of like $35 for BC licenses. All of their translators are certified. Only takes about 5 business days or less.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
So I received this update in ecas tracker....

"We sent you a letter on July 26, 2011 about the decision on your
application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us."

That's it. Should I assume it is positive since I requested that if I was denied that we stop the process? Or is there still a chance it is negative and they just did not tell me they are sending the app back?

I have been so bummed lately getting PM's about all these negative experiences and such. While I understand that there are good and bad people out there, we all have to go through our own experinces in this life. If my husband comes here and leaves me or beats me or drinks or whatever....I still could not condemn a whole society. It is ultimately my decision and my experience. I am not trying to deny the fact that it happens but it is also not fair to generalise about all people over a few people.

Less bad things happen then good...we just don't hear about it. I know more people that are happy (struggling sure) but happy in their marriages with their Moroccan men than have had bad experiences and I would rather remain positive about my marriage until and unless it happens to me.

I share all these messages and such with my husband and he is always saddened by how his fellow countrymen have behaved. I also know my situation is different in one big factor over everyone elses but I can't mention it for fear of repercussions to my husband. So while I completely empathize with abused and abandoned women (I have shared my story) it is also not fair to place my husband in a handful of people and judge him.

hopeful_waiting

Star Member
Jan 22, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2009
AOR Received.
March 2009
Interview........
Nov 2009
Passport Req..
Nov 2009
VISA ISSUED...
nov 2009
LANDED..........
Dec 2009
dair2dv8103100 said:
So I received this update in ecas tracker....

"We sent you a letter on July 26, 2011 about the decision on your
application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us."

That's it. Should I assume it is positive since I requested that if I was denied that we stop the process? Or is there still a chance it is negative and they just did not tell me they are sending the app back?

I have been so bummed lately getting PM's about all these negative experiences and such. While I understand that there are good and bad people out there, we all have to go through our own experiences in this life. If my husband comes here and leaves me or beats me or drinks or whatever....I still could not condemn a whole society. It is ultimately my decision and my experience. I am not trying to deny the fact that it happens but it is also not fair to generalise about all people over a few people.

Less bad things happen then good...we just don't hear about it. I know more people that are happy (struggling sure) but happy in their marriages with their Moroccan men than have had bad experiences and I would rather remain positive about my marriage until and unless it happens to me.

I share all these messages and such with my husband and he is always saddened by how his fellow countrymen have behaved. I also know my situation is different in one big factor over everyone elses but I can't mention it for fear of repercussions to my husband. So while I completely empathize with abused and abandoned women (I have shared my story) it is also not fair to place my husband in a handful of people and judge him.
dair2dv8103100
My friend you are correct in remaining positive. In your heart you married your husband for love not to come support you not to come to Canada and think he owes you because you helped him while back home.. He as anyone has the right to come and go as you have the same. It is your own feeling and experiences which in case some have better judgement than others. And you're correct not to judge a whole race on a few misbehaved men or women in the end it is you and your husbands actions that will choose the ending.. Keep communication open all the time even if you feel it may be silly or you just have a gut feeling it is a must for if you don't this is where it breaks down . With the messages you get now think of it as good advice you talk now about that to your husband and already have fixed the problem before he gets here.. You are the only one that knows your husband not any of us. No Worries friend . My husband and I are not far if ever you need an ear we are hear.. In the town we live in we have all sorts of bigotry and drama . It is our choice to stay far from it and lead the life we want no matter who agrees or disagrees as we all have problems and the mature ones work it out in the end instead of downgrading. Yes to all who have had there men deceive. I am sorry but it is not just one culture it is many cultures and sexes infact I'm sure you don't have to go far from your neighbourhood to see it.. It's everywhere !!!

newhusband

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
is here in moroccan lives in northwestern ontario??....i live in a small town close to thunder bay city so i would love to know if there is some moroccan lives around that ara so we can talk and share some informations and to feel like home because ramadan is really hard when u live far than family