Waived
Passport Req..
29-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2015
LANDED..........
Late July 2015
Hi all,

I am a Canadian PR and I want to invite my father and my sister to Canada to live with me for 6 months. They live in India. I am willing to provide a letter of invitation and their stay in Canada will be funded my me. I work here and have a good salary and savings to support them.

My sister and father don't have a much money in their bank savings accounts at the moment as most of their money is invested in Fixed deposit accounts and ULIPs (Life Insurance policy with mutual funds).

My first question is can we show the Fixed deposit certificate as main proof of funds?

Also, will it help if me or my brother (who lives in Amsterdam) deposit some funds in my father and sister's savings bank account? CIC asks for atleast 4 months statement so will it matter if they get money in their account just before making an application?

Please feel free to provide detailed response to my queries and any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am a Canadian PR and I want to invite my father and my sister to Canada to live with me for 6 months.
A stay of 6 months is a huge no for TRV applications. It easily confirms they don't have any employment/business/other ties to India = Likely to overstay their visit.

They live in India. I am willing to provide a letter of invitation and their stay in Canada will be funded my me. I work here and have a good salary and savings to support them.
For TRVs, your financial situation and support is secondary.

My sister and father don't have a much money in their bank savings accounts at the moment as most of their money is invested in Fixed deposit accounts and ULIPs (Life Insurance policy with mutual funds).
1. Can the FDs be liquidated, if required? Interest credited to their bank accounts, or is it cumulative interested to be paid on maturity of the FDs?

2. ULIPs won't help. They are not liquid finance. Can be included in their overall financial situation though.

My first question is can we show the Fixed deposit certificate as main proof of funds?
Answered.

Also, will it help if me or my brother (who lives in Amsterdam) deposit some funds in my father and sister's savings bank account? CIC asks for atleast 4 months statement so will it matter if they get money in their account just before making an application?
Not advisable.

In any case, even if the money is deposited and is *idle* in their bank accounts for 4+ months, the visa officer is intelligent to figure that this money was not earned by them.

Please feel free to provide detailed response to my queries and any help will be much appreciated.
It seems your dad and sister do not have any strong ties to India. You may want to consider applying for a super visa for your dad.

Your sister, however, would need to apply for a TRV for a short visit (3-4 weeks max) + prove she has the finances of her own + she has strong reasons to return to India

punyinindia

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi -> Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2014
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
14-02-2015
AOR Received.
25-03-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the application
File Transfer...
25-03-2015
Med's Request
11-06-2015
Med's Done....
15-06-2015; TLU on 23-06-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
29-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
08-07-2015
LANDED..........
Late July 2015
Thanks Brianna for your point by point response. I have a few more questions, may be you could answer them?

A stay of 6 months is a huge no for TRV applications. It easily confirms they don't have any employment/business/other ties to India = Likely to overstay their visit.

punyinindia: For what maximum duration, should I invite them to visit Canada then?

For TRVs, your financial situation and support is secondary.

1. Can the FDs be liquidated, if required? Interest credited to their bank accounts, or is it cumulative interested to be paid on maturity of the FDs?

punyinindia: FDs can be liquidated. Interest is credited back to their bank accounts on a periodic basis. (monthly or quaterly)

2. ULIPs won't help. They are not liquid finance. Can be included in their overall financial situation though.

Answered.

Not advisable.

In any case, even if the money is deposited and is *idle* in their bank accounts for 4+ months, the visa officer is intelligent to figure that this money was not earned by them.

punyinindia: Care to elaborate why is it not advisable?

It seems your dad and sister do not have any strong ties to India. You may want to consider applying for a super visa for your dad.
punyinindia: My dad owns property, car and receives pension in India. He is 78 years old and most of his children, friends and grand-children live in India. Would that not constitute strong ties to India?

Your sister, however, would need to apply for a TRV for a short visit (3-4 weeks max) + prove she has the finances of her own + she has strong reasons to return to India
punyinindia: Even if we apply for 3-4 weeks, will she still get a 10 year, multiple entry visa or will it be only valid for the duration specified?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Brianna for your point by point response. I have a few more questions, may be you could answer them?

punyinindia: Even if we apply for 3-4 weeks, will she still get a 10 year, multiple entry visa or will it be only valid for the duration specified?
How long a TRV is issued and if it is single entry or multiple entry will be up to the visa officer who processes your application.