+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP for Non-PGWP College

Aug 2, 2023
Hello, my spouse and I just got our TRV.
She got her TRV for study in a Non-PGWP DLI and I got my work TRV based on her own application.

However, while reading on the process of getting an SOWP at the point of entry, I read that one of the requirements is for my spouse to study a PGWP eligible program - which she isn’t.

I have read in some places where people said PGWP eligible program is ‘preferred’ for issuing an SOWP. But no information about the conditions of getting an SOWP in the “unpreferred” non-PGWP program.

We have a few options to explore between now and September when we intend to travel and we want to be sure on which direction to go.

Can anyone help with this information, please?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
She got her TRV for study in a Non-PGWP DLI and I got my work TRV based on her own application.

However, while reading on the process of getting an SOWP at the point of entry, I read that one of the requirements is for my spouse to study a PGWP eligible program - which she isn’t.

I have read in some places where people said PGWP eligible program is ‘preferred’ for issuing an SOWP. But no information about the conditions of getting an SOWP in the “unpreferred” non-PGWP program.

We have a few options to explore between now and September when we intend to travel and we want to be sure on which direction to go.

You are not eligible for a SOWP.
Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

• have a valid study permit
  • are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and
  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/help-your-spouse-common-law-partner-work-canada.html

Aug 2, 2023
You are not eligible for a SOWP.
Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

• have a valid study permit
  • are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and
  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/help-your-spouse-common-law-partner-work-canada.html
Thank you for your response.
However I am confused about the fact that IRCC knew that my spouse’s program is not PGWP eligible and still issued me a TRV.

If I was not eligible for what I applied for, why would that have been issued though?

do you have any other information asides this text from IRCC’s website, please?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your response.
However I am confused about the fact that IRCC knew that my spouse’s program is not PGWP eligible and still issued me a TRV.

If I was not eligible for what I applied for, why would that have been issued though?

do you have any other information asides this text from IRCC’s website, please?
Why are you confused. You can apply for a TRV because that is a visitor visa. You are eligible for a TRV, and were approved. IRCC knows you are not eligible for a SOWP as SOWP is a different process than applying for TRV. If you had applied for a SOWP, it would have been refused. So you can come to Canada as a visitor and stay with your spouse while she studies but you cannot work.

The link I provided is the application for a SOWP which outlines eligibility requirements. So not sure what more do you want. Those are the rules. Plus you cannot get a SOWP at a port of entry. Most people apply for SOWP before coming to Canada. Or apply once in Canada on their TRV.

Aug 2, 2023
Thank you again for your response.
However I would like to clarify that I applied for an open work permit, and on my visa, I have “worker” written on it and not “visitor”.
this is why I talked about my ‘confusion’.

I appreciate the your responses, still.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you again for your response.
However I would like to clarify that I applied for an open work permit, and on my visa, I have “worker” written on it and not “visitor”.
this is why I talked about my ‘confusion’.

I appreciate the your responses, still.
But you didn’t say that in your first post. You said you are entering on a TRV with no mention of worker so tell the complete story and don’t waste people’s time. We are volunteers. I will let someone else take over. Good luck.

Aug 2, 2023
But you didn’t say that in your first post. You said you are entering on a TRV with no mention of worker so tell the complete story and don’t waste people’s time. We are volunteers. I will let someone else take over. Good luck.
Apologies for the incomplete information.
I translated TRV as “Temporarily Residence Visa and in the first paragraph of my statement, I wrote that:

“She got her TRV for study in a Non-PGWP DLI and I got my work TRV based on her own application.”

My understanding of what TRV means must have been misinterpreted. Apologies for that.

I didn’t mean to waste anyone’s time as I respect your time.

thank you for your earlier responses.

arellanocez12

Oct 18, 2023

hello sir how did you apply for your spouse ?

Fabian_Kittle

Oct 3, 2022

Congratulations on getting your TRVs! Regarding your spouse's situation, while a PGWP-eligible program is preferred for issuing an SOWP, it's not the only option. Non-PGWP programs are still eligible for SOWP, but the process might vary. It's essential to reach out to the relevant immigration authorities or consult an immigration advisor to clarify the specific conditions and requirements for obtaining an SOWP based on your spouse's program. Exploring all options and seeking professional advice will ensure you make the best decision for your situation. Safe travels!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Congratulations on getting your TRVs! Regarding your spouse's situation, while a PGWP-eligible program is preferred for issuing an SOWP, it's not the only option. Non-PGWP programs are still eligible for SOWP, but the process might vary. It's essential to reach out to the relevant immigration authorities or consult an immigration advisor to clarify the specific conditions and requirements for obtaining an SOWP based on your spouse's program. Exploring all options and seeking professional advice will ensure you make the best decision for your situation. Safe travels!
Seriously? What is the point of your post? The post is from months ago.

Fabian_Kittle

Oct 3, 2022

While you're exploring your options, why not take advantage of resources to enhance your knowledge on various subjects? CustomWriting offers a plethora of free sample essays for students, covering a wide range of topics. Check out their collection at https://customwriting.com/assignments.html to gain insights and inspiration for your academic endeavors. As for your specific inquiry about the SOWP for Non-PGWP programs, it's essential to seek guidance from reliable sources or immigration professionals to ensure you're making informed decisions. Best of luck with your exploration, and may you find the clarity you seek in your journey ahead!
I just wanted to congratulate the man. I didn't pay attention to the date. However, in any case, this is not an easy path, and I wish everyone success.