+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some doubts before travelling to Canada

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Why bring money in cash anyway? I never understood this way of thinking..Put it on your bank or credit card. Or even leave in your account and go to an ATM whenever you need cash. I never ever have cash in my pocket wherever I go.
Are you aware of the bank charges? I hope now you understand "this way of thinking". I brought cash with more, over 10k, declared and I was asked no question about that. ICBC were at the airport, I stop by deposited all the cash and they mail my cards as I secured apartment before landing. Became so easy to transact with zero charges. You never be in a situation outside the country when you debit card is not working for any reason....

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm also bringing debit card to withdraw cash, but I'm taking some for renting as I've read several comments that you may need to pay about six months in advance for a place because you don't have a work reference or credit score.
It depends with the landlord. No landlord takes 6 months of rent but most ask you to give them post dated cheques for like a year. If you prefer living in a condo, company operated strata are way better to deal with as new immigrant

Reactions: andrews17

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
What is hefty to you? 5 bucks?
$5 can be inter-switch transaction fee within Canada. Let's say, I have TD and withdraw from RBC Cash Machine.... but when International transactions is involved, you lose more than that plus exchange rate differential.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
What is hefty to you? 5 bucks?
You sure are ignorant about this. I withdrew $800 at the airport and I paid $52.50 for that transaction. I was charged: ATM INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY FEE, PURSE CURRENCY CONVERSION FEE and CASH ADVANCE AUTOMATED TELLER MACHINE. And that's for a single transaction.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
You sure are ignorant about this. I withdrew $800 at the airport and I paid $52.50 for that transaction. I was charged: ATM INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY FEE, PURSE CURRENCY CONVERSION FEE and CASH ADVANCE AUTOMATED TELLER MACHINE. And that's for a single transaction.
Not surprised as a banker. You will be charged settlement fee, switch and withdraw fees. What goes to your ZAR account is system rate and there are three fx exchanges involved. You withdrew in CAD, CAD get converted to USD during settlement and USD to your ZAR when debiting your local currency account. All International transactions are pegged against US Currency provided Swift settlement happens in NY where major correspondence banks are. Issuer and Receiver takes fee too, in this case Mastercard/Visa and that Local ATM Bank Machine you depleted cash..... Thats how US outsmart everyone

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I made it to Canada last Monday. Everything was smooth at Toronto airport. The whole process (including introduction of my small dog) was done in less than two hours. Arrived at 3:10 pm and finished everything around 5:00 pm.

Checkpoints:
1. When leaving the airplane, there were some officers asking for passports, checking visas and asking some questions. Quick two minutes interview.
2. Before customs, international students are sent to a separate line were a form is given per family. Easy to fill form. Then they start sending people downstairs by groups of 15-20 every once in a while. I was there for about 20 minutes.
3. Line up for customs, this took roughly 45 minutes.
4. After customs cleared, international students are sent to another department to get SP and OWP for whoever applies. Approximately 20 minutes.
5. Luggage pick up.
6. In our case, we had to pass by a last checkpoint because we were travelling with a dog. They just asked for rabies vaccination proof and mentioned there's usually a fee to pay, but they didn't charge us "for this time only".
7. Welcome to Canada.

Everyone was very friendly and willing to help. I hope this guide helps anyone else who's about to travel to Canada.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I made it to Canada last Monday. Everything was smooth at Toronto airport. The whole process (including introduction of my small dog) was done in less than two hours. Arrived at 3:10 pm and finished everything around 5:00 pm.

Checkpoints:
1. When leaving the airplane, there were some officers asking for passports, checking visas and asking some questions. Quick two minutes interview.
2. Before customs, international students are sent to a separate line were a form is given per family. Easy to fill form. Then they start sending people downstairs by groups of 15-20 every once in a while. I was there for about 20 minutes.
3. Line up for customs, this took roughly 45 minutes.
4. After customs cleared, international students are sent to another department to get SP and OWP for whoever applies. Approximately 20 minutes.
5. Luggage pick up.
6. In our case, we had to pass by a last checkpoint because we were travelling with a dog. They just asked for rabies vaccination proof and mentioned there's usually a fee to pay, but they didn't charge us "for this time only".
7. Welcome to Canada.

Everyone was very friendly and willing to help. I hope this guide helps anyone else who's about to travel to Canada.
Just curious, can you still get SIN at the airport?

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
Are you aware of the bank charges? I hope now you understand "this way of thinking". I brought cash with more, over 10k, declared and I was asked no question about that. ICBC were at the airport, I stop by deposited all the cash and they mail my cards as I secured apartment before landing. Became so easy to transact with zero charges. You never be in a situation outside the country when you debit card is not working for any reason....
Thanks.. if I'm carrying my bank statement or draft which is already more than $10,000 plus cash .. explain me here .. is draft and cash make it total that I have to declare ? Or if to avoid this what to do ? plz explain ..

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Thanks.. if I'm carrying my bank statement or draft which is already more than $10,000 plus cash .. explain me here .. is draft and cash make it total that I have to declare ? Or if to avoid this what to do ? plz explain ..
Yes. You have to declare it if you're bringing in cash over 10k CAD

Reactions: SidhuSD

SidhuSD

Aug 21, 2021
Category........
Other
Yes. You have to declare it if you're bringing in cash over 10k CAD
Thanks for reply but read .. it states includes monetary.. so confused as 50 percent are saying only cash n other are saying both..