[SOLVED] Teaching Assistant; letter from my university

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
Hi all,

I am currently working on my application through the
PhD stream. I am in my 3d year and I also have worked
the equivalent of one year's full time job during my last
4.5 years in Canada (also did my master's here) as a
Teaching Assistant and Research assistant.

My question is about the letter from my school indicating
that I am a teaching assistant. I do have a letter from the
human resources of my university indicating the hours that
I worked and the money that I was paid for my teaching
assistant job, however I also had to get a letter from my
department, indicating what my duties are exactly.

The letter that I got is in letterhead, signed by the director
and goes as follows:
To Whom it May Concern:

Our records show that Mr. .... was hired as a Graduate Teaching
Assistant for the School of .... Employment term: (begin date to
current).

Typically, the duties of a Graduate Teaching Assistand for a .... course
involve grading assignments/tests/quizzes and running tutorials or labs.
Sometimes, they may be requested by the course instructor to hold
office hours, prepare solution sets, and collate handouts. The language
of instruction was English.

Please contact me if you have any questions. My email address is ...
Sincerely,
I have a friend who told me that this letter is not good enough and that
I should have a letter that states the following in exact wording, as found
in the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada webage:

Post-secondary teaching assistants perform some or all of the following duties:
Organize reference materials, visual aids and other materials as required by university professors or college teachers for lectures
Conduct seminars, discussion groups and laboratory sessions to supplement lectures
Assist in the preparation and administration of examinations
Grade examinations, term papers and laboratory reports.
Is it really that big of a deal if the wording is not exactly like that?
My department is giving me a hard time writing the letter this way
so I may not have the option and I am wondering if this is going to
cost my application..

Thanks a lot in advance..

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Re: Teaching Assistant; letter from my university

geo909 said:
Hi all,

I am currently working on my application through the
PhD stream. I am in my 3d year and I also have worked
the equivalent of one year's full time job during my last
4.5 years in Canada (also did my master's here) as a
Teaching Assistant and Research assistant.

My question is about the letter from my school indicating
that I am a teaching assistant. I do have a letter from the
human resources of my university indicating the hours that
I worked and the money that I was paid for my teaching
assistant job, however I also had to get a letter from my
department, indicating what my duties are exactly.

The letter that I got is in letterhead, signed by the director
and goes as follows:
I have a friend who told me that this letter is not good enough and that
I should have a letter that states the following in exact wording, as found
in the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada webage:

Is it really that big of a deal if the wording is not exactly like that?
My department is giving me a hard time writing the letter this way
so I may not have the option and I am wondering if this is going to
cost my application..

Thanks a lot in advance..
Your friend is incorrect. Actually, if you just copy and paste that wording from the website you will be rejected. I believe your letter is good, while there could be some more details about the topic of the class and details in general. Please, post this kind of doubts in the PHD Thread next time: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.5700.html

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013

TyrusX said:
Your friend is incorrect. Actually, if you just copy and paste that wording from the website you will be rejected. I believe your letter is good, while there could be some more details about the topic of the class and details in general. Please, post this kind of doubts in the PHD Thread next time: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.5700.html
Ya, it would be good if you post in the PhD stream thread. And I agree with TyrusX here, your letter contains a lot of items from NOC 4012 TA, so it should be fine.

Just to add a couple of things:
1. It's probably not a bad idea to also include the information you have from HR in your department letter as well (so that you will have all of the information required [the 5 points in the checklist] within a single reference letter). Note that this should NOT be in any way contradictory to your HR letter.
2. If you're doing RA/TA for the last 4.5 years, you can probably claim a bit more than 1,950 hours of work experience (you can probably claim up to 2.5 years). Both taxable and non-taxable incomes are accepted (I know several people that claimed work experience through non-taxable RA experience, and they already got their PR or passport request)
3. You said you're on your third year, and you did your masters in Canada, make sure to document everything that you did for your masters so that you will be granted the all valuable 5 adaptability points for previous study (if you will only claim 1 year of work experience, you will need these 5 points). Make sure that your masters program was at least two years long and was a two-year program, and the proof that the degree has been completed (you will need these 5 points if you only plan to claim 1 year of work experience)
4. You need not have the letter from your department. The checklist only mentions 'signed by responsible officer/supervisor', so even your supervisor will count, provided that your letter is written on company letterhead (department letterhead), shows the company's full address, phone, fax, email and website.

geo909

Apr 13, 2012

Thank you so much for your replies, that helps a lot..
I'll take care of the things that you mention.

I will post my topics in the phd thread, I didn't realize
that..

Thanks a lot again!

Neehaa@123

Jun 6, 2023
But if one is unable to acquire such letter from the university but the stipend has been deposited by the university in student's bank account for 21 months for Teaching assistantship, what other options are possible in such scenario? Can the bank statements be enough proof ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
But if one is unable to acquire such letter from the university but the stipend has been deposited by the university in student's bank account for 21 months for Teaching assistantship, what other options are possible in such scenario? Can the bank statements be enough proof ?
You need proof you did the duties outlined in the NOC so bank statement is not enough. Do you have a signed contract that outlines your job duties, pay salary and contract length? Why can’t you get a letter? You need some proof.

Neehaa@123

Jun 6, 2023
Because here I did ask the Institute if I could be provided with the letter so they just replied we don't give it in writing since you are by default the teaching assistant here as I took admission qualifying an entrance called GATE at the Institute with a valid score. And it's even mentioned on their official page.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.aicte-india.org/sites/default/files/GUIDELINES%20FOR%20PG%20scholarship.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjo0uiP3q7_AhWXmVYBHatnDr0QFnoECDEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3nWAy1CFheAYj_60V9Jy98

Neehaa@123

Jun 6, 2023
So I did try a lot and am still trying but if unsuccessful like the official brochure score card and payment will it still not be enough?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So I did try a lot and am still trying but if unsuccessful like the official brochure score card and payment will it still not be enough?
Here is the link for mandatory documents. You have to have some documentation that your job duties match the NOC.

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Neehaa@123

Jun 6, 2023
Can it being mentioned in LOR by the assigned guide/supervisor help if not an official Institute letter mentioning that I did work under him/her?

Neehaa@123

Jun 6, 2023
Can you suggest some format or something like how that letter should be drafted and everything from the supervisor since and if should be on letterhead or what since that's all I could arrange for please?

Neehaa@123

Jun 6, 2023
And then should I try getting those LORs from more than one professor and my PhD senior as well if that could compensate for the lack of job reference letter from the Institute?