+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft PR Landing - drove from US

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Yep, I've read those posts too and what I concluded is it really depends on the custom officer. Personally, I took my own car and for backup I had asked my relative to be on standby to come to US and pick me up, in case I had to go back and park the car in the US.

I did carried the title of the car, still financed. And of-course, the cars were mentioned in GTF list.
Can someone please confirm if I need to carry Photo for PR Card Application ?
I am traveling this weekend from US by car and want to make sure I do not miss any of the required things.

Thanks.

bullmoose

Apr 20, 2018
Can someone please confirm if I need to carry Photo for PR Card Application ?
I am traveling this weekend from US by car and want to make sure I do not miss any of the required things.

Thanks.
When I received the COPR, there were 2 copies and one had a photo pasted on it. I did not carry any other photo for PR.

Thanks

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018

nnegi

Dec 4, 2018
Hello All,

Congratulation to all who have successfully completed the landing process and best of luck to the ones waiting:

My questions:
1. I am driving my car which is on loan, can I declare it as "goods to follow" as I am assuming I would clear off all the loan and take the car with me, do I still need to declare it on goods bringing at the time of soft landing?
2. What should we do for the jewelry we got as gifts in the US at our wedding which was in June 2018, should I declare it in the goods to follow? Is there any limit?

If anyone can answer this, it would be helpful as i am planning to do the soft landing this weekend.

Regards,
NNegi

Jul 11, 2018
Hello All,

Congratulation to all who have successfully completed the landing process and best of luck to the ones waiting:

My questions:
1. I am driving my car which is on loan, can I declare it as "goods to follow" as I am assuming I would clear off all the loan and take the car with me, do I still need to declare it on goods bringing at the time of soft landing?
2. What should we do for the jewelry we got as gifts in the US at our wedding which was in June 2018, should I declare it in the goods to follow? Is there any limit?

If anyone can answer this, it would be helpful as i am planning to do the soft landing this weekend.

Regards,
NNegi
1. Yes, you should add EVERYTHING that you are planning to take with you when you settle later on under GTF (including your car). You can tell the officer that you will import your car later on when you come back for good (I did the same).
2. No limits. You can add everything in your list gifted or not. The main purpose is that you wont have to pay tax later on when you actually bring them with you. If you don't write it, it will be taxed.

nnegi

Dec 4, 2018
1. Yes, you should add EVERYTHING that you are planning to take with you when you settle later on under GTF (including your car). You can tell the officer that you will import your car later on when you come back for good (I did the same).
2. No limits. You can add everything in your list gifted or not. The main purpose is that you wont have to pay tax later on when you actually bring them with you. If you don't write it, it will be taxed.
Thank you for the response, i have another question. In the BSF186 form, what classification type I need to select if I am doing a soft landing and planning to come back in a couple of days?
Is it
SEASONAL RESIDENT (tariff item No. 9829.00.00)
or
SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00)

Jul 11, 2018
Thank you for the response, i have another question. In the BSF186 form, what classification type I need to select if I am doing a soft landing and planning to come back in a couple of days?
Is it
SEASONAL RESIDENT (tariff item No. 9829.00.00)
or
SETTLER (tariff item No. 9807.00.00)
You are applied for and are going as a permanent resident (settler). They don't know what is soft landing. So make sure you don't use the soft landing word in front of them.

nnegi

Dec 4, 2018
Thanks for the help so far, I have completed all the forms. Few more questions:

1. As I am coming to Canada from USA, what should be the country of origin in BSF 186 form as I am an Indian citizen but currently on H1 in the US
2. For "Goods to Follow" list, do I need to declare the same on another BSF 186 form or is there any other form for that? Basically, do I need to keep two BSF 186 form, one for current landing and another for GTF list with 2 copies of each form?
3. When I declare my car in Goods to follow, does it come under the "Description of goods" section or "conveyances" section as I don't have
"K22 / Vehicle import form number" at this point in time?

Another question is since this is the first time we are going to Canada, do we need to fill the declaration form too. If Yes, do we need to declare ourselves as traveler or resident? and what should be selected under "Purpose of trip"?

yashG

Feb 23, 2017
Hello,
I recently got COPR through SINP.I have following question.
1.Can I do soft landing at Peace Bridge and return back to US on same day?How should I prove my intention to move to SK later ?
2.Can we do soft landing through road in different province and if yes then how Border agent determine intention to settle in province?

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Hello,
I recently got COPR through SINP.I have following question.
1.Can I do soft landing at Peace Bridge and return back to US on same day?How should I prove my intention to move to SK later ?
2.Can we do soft landing through road in different province and if yes then how Border agent determine intention to settle in province?
The border agent cannot deny the fact that you can still drive to SK through Peace bridge. But I am not sure about the SNIP requirements, you can call the peace bridge directly and ask if you have any questions.

For me I disclosed that I will go back to US to bring my other goods. They didnt mind.

yashG

Feb 23, 2017
The border agent cannot deny the fact that you can still drive to SK through Peace bridge. But I am not sure about the SNIP requirements, you can call the peace bridge directly and ask if you have any questions.

For me I disclosed that I will go back to US to bring my other goods. They didnt mind.
Thanks for answer,
I am planning to do the same i.e I will disclose them that I will return to USA and come back later hope that will work.
One question which day and time is preferable to do soft landing at Peace Bridge?

yourfather

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks for answer,
I am planning to do the same i.e I will disclose them that I will return to USA and come back later hope that will work.
One question which day and time is preferable to do soft landing at Peace Bridge?
Now the weather is too bad to drive here. So if you plan, then plan it during sunlight.

Pravin7

Jan 25, 2018
Hi.. We are planning to do the PR landing next weekend.Had a few clarifications
1.We will be crossing the US /Canada border in Michigan on Sunday morning.Is SUnday morning cause any issues?
2.We are taking a trailer(5 * 8) uhaul trailer with our car.Which is a preferred border crossing. Ambassador bridge,Windsor tunnel or Blue Water bridge?

michibong

May 5, 2018
Hi.. We are planning to do the PR landing next weekend.Had a few clarifications
1.We will be crossing the US /Canada border in Michigan on Sunday morning.Is SUnday morning cause any issues?
2.We are taking a trailer(5 * 8) uhaul trailer with our car.Which is a preferred border crossing. Ambassador bridge,Windsor tunnel or Blue Water bridge?
1. No
2. I prefer Blue Water for less traffic