+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Silly question

Estefania

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
I am being sponsored and for some reason I couldn't return some books to the library. I was charged for overdue and I haven't paid yet. Will that affect my background check someway?

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
They actually do often use collection agencies. Won’t impact your background check. Could impact your credit so would pay off the fines.
I remember back when we had video rental stores (Blockbuster etc), they would use collection agencies if you owed them even $30

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I am being sponsored and for some reason I couldn't return some books to the library. I was charged for overdue and I haven't paid yet. Will that affect my background check someway?
There’s a term called “ offsetting.”
If there was an amount let’s say due to a province or another government department.Family maintenance amounts , overpayment benefits, EI overpayments etc. If these payments aren’t repaid , they get “ offset “ to the Federal Government to recoup . Then to the CRA to collect. They aren’t sent to an external collections agency . The Government has their own collections agency . It’ll then be recouped from any credits the taxpayer maybe in the position to receive from the various government departments. These payments( credits ) will be applied to the debit ( owing amount ) . That’s why some individuals receive a letter stating they have monies owing to “ the crown .”
The Government has a long arm in collecting. Library fees etc wouldn’t make it to the Federal collections level.