+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I work for the employer that gave me JO (LMIA) which I used for points in Express Entry?

Vi2811

Aug 5, 2022
Hi everyone.

Could anybody please help me with my question?
I'm inside Canada on my PGWP working for company A (contract). My current employer doesn't help employees with LMIA job offers. Through networking, I received an offer from company B. They are going to expand, so they'll need employees, but just next September, however company B is already ready to make LMIA job offer for me. I'm not going to use this offer for a closed work permit, just for points in EE. So, I have some questions:
1. Can I use such an offer for points in Express Entry (CEC), if I curreтtly work and still be working for 1 year more for another employer?
2. Does registering a job offer in the EE system oblige me to work for this employer (company B) in the future? (A lot can happen during the year, I can't take a risk. For example, I will get a promotion at my current company or company B will change its plans).
3. Can I work now and continue to work later for my current employer, if I used a Job offer from another company in Express Entry?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone.

Could anybody please help me with my question?
I'm inside Canada on my PGWP working for company A (contract). My current employer doesn't help employees with LMIA job offers. Through networking, I received an offer from company B. They are going to expand, so they'll need employees, but just next September, however company B is already ready to make LMIA job offer for me. I'm not going to use this offer for a closed work permit, just for points in EE. So, I have some questions:
1. Can I use such an offer for points in Express Entry (CEC), if I curreтtly work and still be working for 1 year more for another employer?
2. Does registering a job offer in the EE system oblige me to work for this employer (company B) in the future? (A lot can happen during the year, I can't take a risk. For example, I will get a promotion at my current company or company B will change its plans).
3. Can I work now and continue to work later for my current employer, if I used a Job offer from another company in Express Entry?
This smells of misrepresentation. Obtaining a job offer for the sole purpose of getting additional points with no intention of ever working for the employer. This is very risky IMO. You don't want to end up with a misrepresentation ban.

You should work for Company B once the LMIA is approved and until you have PR if you want to claim the points.

What you do after you get PR is totally up to you.

Vi2811

Aug 5, 2022
This smells of misrepresentation. Obtaining a job offer for the sole purpose of getting additional points with no intention of ever working for the employer. This is very risky IMO. You don't want to end up with a misrepresentation ban.

You should work for Company B once the LMIA is approved and until you have PR if you want to claim the points.

What you do after you get PR is totally up to you.
Thank you for your answer. I also have the same doubts, I am just not sure about what can happen during the year. Don't want to take a risk. So, if we get LMIA approved in January, do I need to begin to work in January? But what if the position is available just from September 2023? Is it also risky and I should look for another offer where I can start to work immediately?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your answer. I also have the same doubts, I am just not sure about what can happen during the year. Don't want to take a risk. So, if we get LMIA approved in January, do I need to begin to work in January? But what if the position is available just from September 2023? Is it also risky and I should look for another offer where I can start to work immediately?
It honestly seems extremely odd to go for an LMIA approval now for a job that doesn't start until September next year. LMIAs are meants for situations where the company cannot identify a Canadian candidate and has a need to hire someone soon. Seems super odd for an employer to be saying that they already know they need to hire a foreign worker but there's basically no urgency and they don't need that person until September 2023. These statements seem contradictory.