+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I start my application? If so, how?

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Hi!

I am an aspiring immigrant. Duh! :rolleyes:
Currently I don't fulfill the points criteria. Last time I checked I only scored about 350 points.
Overall, I don't have much idea on how to start this process. Even if I was eligible I would still need help.
My major source of information has been google.

So, let's say I just want to enter the, aptly named, pool. Where do I start? I would be grateful if somebody can take me step by step.

Who knows may be someday soon some resourceful official in Canada decides that 250 is the cut-off for eligibility ;).

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

I am an aspiring immigrant. Duh! :rolleyes:
Currently I don't fulfill the points criteria. Last time I checked I only scored about 350 points.
Overall, I don't have much idea on how to start this process. Even if I was eligible I would still need help.
My major source of information has been google.

So, let's say I just want to enter the, aptly named, pool. Where do I start? I would be grateful if somebody can take me step by step.

Who knows may be someday soon some resourceful official in Canada decides that 250 is the cut-off for eligibility ;).

Thanks.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Well thank you Google. :D
Well, have you read everything on the CIC site? It's pretty straightforward and explains the process in some detail - step by step too.

If you have specific questions, ask and people will help, but you need to do your own research first.

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Well, have you read everything on the CIC site? It's pretty straightforward and explains the process in some detail - step by step too.

If you have specific questions, ask and people will help, but you need to do your own research first.
Alrighty, to start I have the following specific queries.

I don't fall into any of the 3 programs. Neither the FSWP, nor FSTP, nor CEC.
The website says those who meet any of the programs criteria will be entered into the pool. I won't be.
But will I be barred from entering again for any time period? Just want to take a chance.

Secondly, please tell me if I have figured out the steps correctly so far:

Express Entry Profile --> Pool entry (if have work experience) --> Drawn out (Invited to apply)

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1 - If you're not eligible then I wouldn't bother creating a profile, it will be deemed ineligible and you won't enter the pool.

2 - Yes, those steps are correct.

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
1 - If you're not eligible then I wouldn't bother creating a profile, it will be deemed ineligible and you won't enter the pool.

2 - Yes, those steps are correct.

Ok, thanks.
Now ignore the ineligibility for a moment, does it strengthen my application if I have visited Canada recently as a visitor?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you don't fall under either of the three qualifying categories, you cannot apply under Express Entry.

samuelja

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Hi @LoneEarthling , please tell us what stream you fall under (we know you are not under the FSW/FST/CEC streams). This info would be essential for the seniors to help out better.

As for the humanitarian & compassionate, I have heard that the stream is specifically for war-torn/politically unstable parts of the world. But yes the seniors can input more on this.

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Hi @LoneEarthling , please tell us what stream you fall under (we know you are not under the FSW/FST/CEC streams). This info would be essential for the seniors to help out better.

As for the humanitarian & compassionate, I have heard that the stream is specifically for war-torn/politically unstable parts of the world. But yes the seniors can input more on this.
Are there any other streams besides FSW/FST/CEC?
Can you share a link where I can find the rest.

I was told H&C is usually the catch-all. That is, if you aren't eligible for any other you can technically try here. They will refuse most probably, but it's like a dynamic case where they read applicants point of view and judge if it is worth it or not. For war-torn I think there's the refugee status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are there any other streams besides FSW/FST/CEC?
Can you share a link where I can find the rest.

I was told H&C is usually the catch-all. That is, if you aren't eligible for any other you can technically try here. They will refuse most probably, but it's like a dynamic case where they read applicants point of view and judge if it is worth it or not. For war-torn I think there's the refugee status.
H&C is not a catch-all. If it was that easy, everyone would have PR.

It's quite difficult to get an H&C application approved. Simply stating you don't qualify for any other stream will get you refused (which is why H&C is not a catch-all). You need to have real reasons for needing to remain in Canada and being unable to return to your home country. Simply wanting to live in Canada isn't enough. An example of a scenario that can sometimes (but not always) get an H&C approval: Mother is widowed and is visiting her only child in Canada. Child supports mother financially and there is no one left in the home country who can take care of the mother. Mother will not fare well if forced to return home and live alone. Mother applies under H&C. (Note that a person has to be physically in Canada to apply under H&C.)

Unless you have very strong reasons for applying under H&C, it's a bad idea. Once an H&C application is refused, you're ordered to leave Canada and it becomes much more difficult to return in the future.

Link to all of Canada's immigration programs is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

LoneEarthling

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
H&C is not a catch-all. If it was that easy, everyone would have PR.

It's quite difficult to get an H&C application approved. Simply stating you don't qualify for any other stream will get you refused (which is why H&C is not a catch-all). You need to have real reasons for needing to remain in Canada and being unable to return to your home country. Simply wanting to live in Canada isn't enough. An example of a scenario that can sometimes (but not always) get an H&C approval: Mother is widowed and is visiting her only child in Canada. Child supports mother financially and there is no one left in the home country who can take care of the mother. Mother will not fare well if forced to return home and live alone. Mother applies under H&C. (Note that a person has to be physically in Canada to apply under H&C.)

Unless you have very strong reasons for applying under H&C, it's a bad idea. Once an H&C application is refused, you're ordered to leave Canada and it becomes much more difficult to return in the future.

Link to all of Canada's immigration programs is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp
Oh, :(. I stand corrected, I had misunderstood it to be something else.

dannyhcean

Star Member
Feb 23, 2016
Oh, :(. I stand corrected, I had misunderstood it to be something else.
Maybe it will be helpful to share with us about your situation? To begin with, why don't you think you are qualified for any of the three streams (FSWP/FSTP/EC)? Did you do the due diligence to go through the criteria? You don't meet the minimum criteria for any of these three?

Reactions: lino82