+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

should I file a second visitor's extension?

KBurton

Apr 21, 2010
First I would like to thank everyone here. I don't post often, but I do lurk, and the information on this board has really helped me cope through my immigration adventure, that I'm hopefully nearing the end of.

I'm currently at the second stage of my outland permanent residency application, currently at Buffalo. I sent my application to Mississauga sometime in early September, and I consider myself very lucky on the speed in which it's being processed, though I don't imagine it will be finished by the end of the year (but you never know). I've been staying with my spouse in Canada on an extended visitors visa.

Now here's my question. I requested the extension to my visa in early August, attaching with the application all of my information about my sponsorship application. I requested my extension to the date of December 31st, but made note that I wanted to stay until my outland application was finished. I still haven't heard back from them, and I want to know if I need to file a second extension request 30 days before December 31st.

In addition, the information on the CIC website about the time it takes to process an extension seems to be gone. I would email them, but I can't find an email address to Mississauga. I'm a bit nervous about using the Call Centre. Any advice?

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I might call the call centre and see if they can tell you the status of your application if you haven't heard from them yet. I remember it being something like 80 days fo visitor extensions so you should hear something soon. Last time we requested ours it took so long so we had to call and then they told us they hadn't even sent the letter yet although it was approved. Give them a call and they most likely can tell you something at this stage. We requested 6 months and they gave us a year ;)

KBurton

Apr 21, 2010
Ah, thank you for the quick response, it put my nerves to rest. I'll definitely call the call centre.

KBurton

Apr 21, 2010
They said they're still backed up into July, so they probably haven't even opened my application yet. Phew!

midnight_sun

Nov 6, 2010
kelKel said:
I might call the call centre and see if they can tell you the status of your application if you haven't heard from them yet. I remember it being something like 80 days fo visitor extensions so you should hear something soon. Last time we requested ours it took so long so we had to call and then they told us they hadn't even sent the letter yet although it was approved. Give them a call and they most likely can tell you something at this stage. We requested 6 months and they gave us a year ;)
May I know what reason did you put for extension and what doc. you have submitted together with the application? Are you from one of the visa-exempt countries or?

lemony_20

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/11/10
Doc's Request.
13/09/11
AOR Received.
AIP 22/9/2011
Med's Done....
23/06/11
Interview........
TBA
LANDED..........
...waiting...
Kburton & Midnight_sun,

I too am curious as to what you put as the reason to extend your stay as I am about to extend my stay here, my 6-months is up in January. I heard it is best to be honest and tell them that you have an open permanent residence application.
The reason I put was "Extending my stay until the date provided above will allow me to be with my husband longer while we wait for a reply on the process of my permanent residence application which was received by Vegreville Centre on November 1st, 2010".
I also plan to send a copy of my marriage certificate with this and the receipt of my PR application fees. Also, how long did you ask that it be extended? I am requesting until October of next year, hoping that I can at least reach first stage approval of the inland application process by then. I am from the US & Visa exempt.

Thanks, I hope we can share some details.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
For the application to extend status as a visitor we stated the reason was to stay with partner while the application for permanent residence (submitted to xxxx on xxxxx) was being finalized. To the point no long explanation given.

Docs that were included:

-Receipt as proof of permanent residence appplication being submitted.
-Letter of financial support from me (sponsor).
-Letter of employment (years employed, salary ect).
-Screen shot of balances in bank account for both of us.

Whatever they asked for photcopies of passport pages ect. We had initally submitted an inland application and asked for 6 months and they gave us a year.

lemony_20

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/11/10
Doc's Request.
13/09/11
AOR Received.
AIP 22/9/2011
Med's Done....
23/06/11
Interview........
TBA
LANDED..........
...waiting...
KelKel,

That's great. Did you type up a letter promising to provide financial support? I also put for the part where I support myself - "Along with my personal savings, my husband is employed and can support me completely". Thanks for sharing that, sounds like it went really smoothly for you.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
My boyfriend didnt include any letter from himself just the one I wrote but I'll get him to include one next time. You shouldn't even have a concern for the extension because they require the applicant to be in Canada for the IN Canada process so you'll be just fine :)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KBurton said:
They said they're still backed up into July, so they probably haven't even opened my application yet. Phew!
Those people are SO full of it. I called them last week and they said they were opening files received on August 7th.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Usually you have to call a couple times to get a correct answer. When we originally called they said his extension was for 6 months but when recieved it it was for one year. Not sure what they were looking at before lol

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kelKel said:
Usually you have to call a couple times to get a correct answer. When we originally called they said his extension was for 6 months but when recieved it it was for one year. Not sure what they were looking at before lol
Seriously??? OMG, that's just outright incompetence. I hate calling them because 95% of the time they give me the wrong information. I try to avoid them as much as possible but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
KBurton said:
First I would like to thank everyone here. I don't post often, but I do lurk, and the information on this board has really helped me cope through my immigration adventure, that I'm hopefully nearing the end of.

I'm currently at the second stage of my outland permanent residency application, currently at Buffalo. I sent my application to Mississauga sometime in early September, and I consider myself very lucky on the speed in which it's being processed, though I don't imagine it will be finished by the end of the year (but you never know). I've been staying with my spouse in Canada on an extended visitors visa.

Now here's my question. I requested the extension to my visa in early August, attaching with the application all of my information about my sponsorship application. I requested my extension to the date of December 31st, but made note that I wanted to stay until my outland application was finished. I still haven't heard back from them, and I want to know if I need to file a second extension request 30 days before December 31st.

In addition, the information on the CIC website about the time it takes to process an extension seems to be gone. I would email them, but I can't find an email address to Mississauga. I'm a bit nervous about using the Call Centre. Any advice?
As long as your application was received by CPC-Vegreville BEFORE your original status expired, you're protected by "implied status" and are able to remain in Canada under the terms of your original status until they make a decision on your extension . . . no matter how long that takes. You don't need to send a new application - if processing goes past Dec 31, they will issue new temporary status valid until past that date, and your new extension application (if one becomes necessary) will need to be submitted, as before, prior to that expiration date in order for you to benefit from implied status again.

vjamal

Star Member
May 17, 2010
montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sorry im entering this conversation due to its titlle for morrocco sponsorship.....my husband got the call from Rabat for the interview..our file was in process from the 12th of may,2010 now his interview is on december 1st,2010 and its a wednesday...usually wednesdays are the days they give visas....im wondering if its possible that he gets his visa the same day...due to the fact they want him to bring his passport but also his birth certificate and his police file in french which they have but they say its old......what do u guys think pls answer...................thanks