00binkim

Jan 17, 2019
Summary
Applied: November 22nd 2018
Received: November 22nd 2018
Co-op Work Permit Received by Flagpoling: February 5th 2019
Flagpoling Location: Queenston Lewiston Bridge

Hi everyone,
I am a first year university student enrolled in a program where co-op experience is mandatory.
My first work term was supposed to start early in January, which meant I was supposed to have my co-op work permit by then.
However I was in the process of waiting for my extended study permit to arrive and ultimately submitted my co-op work permit application late in November, after receiving my renewed study permit.
At that time the processing time for co-op work permits weren't overly long, which made me think I would be receiving it around late December.
However it never came by the time I needed it. I nevertheless started work but at the end of my fourth day, I was told by my school to stop until my permit arrived. To earn a co-op credit at my school, a student must work for 12 weeks at the very least, which meant I had to receive my permit no later than early February.

Waiting for endless hours and checking my application status every 5 minutes, I spent 3 weeks at home in constant panic, and I'll never forget the absolute hopelessness I felt during that time.
I did everything I could, and when I say everything I mean it. I contacted everyone who I thought could help me even for a second but it didn't do much help.
I even contacted my local MP and although the MP office was kind enough to call the IRCC on my behalf, I could not have my application expedited because it was under the normal processing time.
I spent the whole day refreshing my account page but things just worsened by the increasing estimated processing time.

I cannot thank my company enough--it was easier for them to fire me and look for other applicants who were still looking for a co-op job, but they decided to wait for my permit to arrive.
I hope you can guess how much that helped me and at the same time fueled my anxiety.

During the last week before losing my chance to work, I decided to flagpole. I had already been reading many reviews about flagpoling and decided to head to the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara.

I got on the Greyhound bus at 6:30AM and arrived by 8:00AM. When I got to the Canadian end, a kind person helped me by directing me to the U.S. side of the bridge and told me to get a slip from the U.S. officers. After coming back with the document, I handed it over to a Canadian officer but was shocked when he told me there were too many people waiting in the office and I had to come some other day. He said he understood the fact that I came on time but his superintendent was unwilling to take any more applications that day.

I left the bridge and hopped into a random taxi that was parked in front of a hotel. The driver knew I was trying to flagpole, and he took me to the Queenston Lewiston bridge and even crossed the border with me. After flagpoling, he dropped me off to the border office and told me to call him back after I got my permit.

As I entered the office at around 9:00AM, I was surprised by the quiet atmosphere and there were five to six people seated, waiting for the processing of their own application. I talked to the officer that I needed my co-op work permit and after an hour, everything was done.

At that time I couldn't process the fact that what had drained all the energy out of me for 3 weeks was over in a single hour.

I want to give my thanks to the taxi driver who despite the seriousness of border systems helped me fight through it. Without him this would have been impossible.

I just finished my second day of work and decided to leave this review here because during my wait, a lot of the reviews you guys left did wonders for me. I hope this can save someone else in desperate need.

00binkim

Jan 17, 2019
Which country is your citizenship? Is it from a Visa exempt nation?
Yes, I hold a visa exempt passport. But even then I luckily had an active U.S. visa because I visited the states in December. The U.S. officers told me the visa is no use for flagpoling unless I wanted to enter America for a short time before returning to Canada.

Reactions: Oluwaseunabd

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Hi guys,

I am in a similar situation. I am an international student (from India) in Canada since September 2018. I have just received a coop offer starting 6th May 2019, however I will be applying for a coop permit on 21st February.

Considering the current processing time of 84 days, I will not get my coop work permit on time for the job. For this reason, I was wondering if I can swing by the nearest US border (I do not have US Visa) and receive my coop work permit. I am also not from a visa exempt country, although I have multiple entry visa.

I am very nervous at this point and do not know if I'll be able to join my coop in time. Would you guys say flagpoling is a better option at this point to receive coop work permit?

Reactions: pulkitkumar190

madhav.malhotra3089

Star Member
May 27, 2016
Summary

Hi everyone,
I am a first year university student enrolled in a program where co-op experience is mandatory.
My first work term was supposed to start early in January, which meant I was supposed to have my co-op work permit by then.
However I was in the process of waiting for my extended study permit to arrive and ultimately submitted my co-op work permit application late in November, after receiving my renewed study permit.
At that time the processing time for co-op work permits weren't overly long, which made me think I would be receiving it around late December.
However it never came by the time I needed it. I nevertheless started work but at the end of my fourth day, I was told by my school to stop until my permit arrived. To earn a co-op credit at my school, a student must work for 12 weeks at the very least, which meant I had to receive my permit no later than early February.

Waiting for endless hours and checking my application status every 5 minutes, I spent 3 weeks at home in constant panic, and I'll never forget the absolute hopelessness I felt during that time.
I did everything I could, and when I say everything I mean it. I contacted everyone who I thought could help me even for a second but it didn't do much help.
I even contacted my local MP and although the MP office was kind enough to call the IRCC on my behalf, I could not have my application expedited because it was under the normal processing time.
I spent the whole day refreshing my account page but things just worsened by the increasing estimated processing time.

I cannot thank my company enough--it was easier for them to fire me and look for other applicants who were still looking for a co-op job, but they decided to wait for my permit to arrive.
I hope you can guess how much that helped me and at the same time fueled my anxiety.

During the last week before losing my chance to work, I decided to flagpole. I had already been reading many reviews about flagpoling and decided to head to the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara.

I got on the Greyhound bus at 6:30AM and arrived by 8:00AM. When I got to the Canadian end, a kind person helped me by directing me to the U.S. side of the bridge and told me to get a slip from the U.S. officers. After coming back with the document, I handed it over to a Canadian officer but was shocked when he told me there were too many people waiting in the office and I had to come some other day. He said he understood the fact that I came on time but his superintendent was unwilling to take any more applications that day.

I left the bridge and hopped into a random taxi that was parked in front of a hotel. The driver knew I was trying to flagpole, and he took me to the Queenston Lewiston bridge and even crossed the border with me. After flagpoling, he dropped me off to the border office and told me to call him back after I got my permit.

As I entered the office at around 9:00AM, I was surprised by the quiet atmosphere and there were five to six people seated, waiting for the processing of their own application. I talked to the officer that I needed my co-op work permit and after an hour, everything was done.

At that time I couldn't process the fact that what had drained all the energy out of me for 3 weeks was over in a single hour.

I want to give my thanks to the taxi driver who despite the seriousness of border systems helped me fight through it. Without him this would have been impossible.

I just finished my second day of work and decided to leave this review here because during my wait, a lot of the reviews you guys left did wonders for me. I hope this can save someone else in desperate need.
Hey

Thanks for sharing this. I have a question. What did you do with your online application? How did you cancel it?

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Guys, I will be flagpoling on Monday 8th April, for Coop Work Permit. Do you have any idea of biometrics? As I got my visa in 2017 and I landed in Canada on Jan 2018, they don't have my biometrics as of now. Now as I will be flagpoling, will they reject my application for coop work permit, if I haven't given biometrics as of now?

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Guys, I will be flagpoling on Monday 8th April, for Coop Work Permit. Do you have any idea of biometrics? As I got my visa in 2017 and I landed in Canada on Jan 2018, they don't have my biometrics as of now. Now as I will be flagpoling, will they reject my application for coop work permit, if I haven't given biometrics as of now?
That won’t be an issue. They will do your biometrics there itself. I did flagpoling 2 weeks ago and did not have biometric ls at the time. They charged me $80 and scanned my biometrics right there. It’s a pretty smooth process nothing to worry about.

Indian5183

Star Member
Apr 3, 2019
By the way, your information was wrong! I was able to flagpole even though I am from non-visa exempt country. They require a valid visa and study permit in those scenarios.
Hi Archit,

I think you can seriously help me here. I’ve been one worried man for the last 2 weeks. My situation is that I’m legally in Canada on a valid TRV (multiple entry valid till 2021) and I’ve landed myself a job here. Ive paid my biometrics fee and am considering flagpoling tomorw at Abbotsford, BC armed with all relevant documents.

My question to you is, will they accept my biometrics and process my application at the POE and is this Possible? I’ll anxiously await your response on this since your experience is more recent.

Please advise soonest possible. Thanks

P.s if anyone else can help me, I’ll sincerely appreciate it as well..

Last edited:

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
That won’t be an issue. They will do your biometrics there itself. I did flagpoling 2 weeks ago and did not have biometric ls at the time. They charged me $80 and scanned my biometrics right there. It’s a pretty smooth process nothing to worry about.
Thanks, bro, I will keep $80 handy with me, thanks for telling. BTW did you have to fill any application form at the border and if yes, should I ask some lawyer to help me verify the details to fill in IMM 5583 or IMM 5701.

I believe we don't need based on the following documentation, just wanted to verify with you.
https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/work/co-op-internship-work-permit

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi Archit,

I think you can seriously help me here. I’ve been one worried man for the last 2 weeks. My situation is that I’m legally in Canada on a valid TRV (multiple entry valid till 2021) and I’ve landed myself a job here. Ive paid my biometrics fee and am considering flagpoling tomorw at Abbotsford, BC armed with all relevant documents.

My question to you is, will they accept my biometrics and process my application at the POE and is this Possible? I’ll anxiously await your response on this since your experience is more recent.

Please advise soonest possible. Thanks

P.s if anyone else can help me, I’ll sincerely appreciate it as well..
I think you have to again pay $80 for biometric at POE, or if not just be safe and carrt 80 with you, and as Archit said, your things(Visa + Biometrics) will be processed there. Be cool, enjoy.

pulkitkumar190

Jan 28, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Just for anyone out there viewing this thread, follow this for processing Coop Work Permit at Land Border

https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/work/co-op-internship-work-permit

Applying at the Border
1. Although we cannot guarantee that you will be issued a Co-Op Work Permit at the Canadian port-of-entry/border you have the option of applying for it - and obtaining it the same day - if you are TRV-exempt, meaning either:

1. You are a citizen of a TRV-exempt country, OR
  2. You are a citizen of a TRV-required country, and are re-entering Canada solely from the US
2. The closest land borders that process Co-Op work permits are:

• Lacolle/Champlain*
  • St. Armand/Phillipsburg
  • Stanstead
  • Montreal's Trudeau Airport - but only if you are flying in to Montreal from an international destination.
* We generally recommend student go to the Lacolle/Champlain border crossing to apply for their Co-Op Work Permit.

If you don't have access to a car, you can take a bus to the border.
bus_service_to_canadian_us_border.docx

3. Do not forget to bring your Supporting Documents to the border, including:

• Valid Passport
  • Valid Study Permit
  • Your Co-Op letter* provided to you by your department or the Co-op/Internship Office at McGill
  • If you are required to do a medical exam for your work permit application (see Jobs for which you need a medical exam), bring proof of this (i.e. a medical exam receipt)
  • Optional but recommended: Proof of enrolment (which you can print off Minerva)
*Materials Engineering Co-op students can now obtain their co-op work permit letter here.
*Mining Engineering Co-op students can now obtain their
co-op work permit letter here.
*Nursing students can now obtain their co-op work permit letter here.
ALL groups should include their letter of acceptance or proof of enrolment - which confirms that they are completing a co-op program - along with the Department letter.

**IMPORTANT: Immigration Canada plans to expand their biometrics program. You may be required to provide biometrics when applying for your co-op/internship work permit at the port of entry, for more information please see our News page.

NOTE: Make sure that you clearly state that you are a McGill student and that the work is an integral part of your studies at McGill.

4. Pay the required fees:

• The Co-op/internship work permit is free (fee-exempt).

Reactions: DesiPikachu

MsJanie

Mar 12, 2017
Summary

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the same situation. Could you please share the exact point at which you canceled your online application? I also want to go to the border but I don’t know if I should cancel before or after going.

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
I am currently in the same situation. Could you please share the exact point at which you canceled your online application? I also want to go to the border but I don’t know if I should cancel before or after going.
Do not cancel your online application beforehand. The border officer will ask you that he sees you have applied online then why are you doing flagpoling. Frankly and calmly reply to him that online application will take a lot of time and you will miss your opportunity by then. Tell him you will withdraw your online application once its approved at the border while flagpoling.

Reactions: DesiPikachu

Akahdhdhdhdh

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone help me how can we cancel online application for coop if we get from order. You reply will be appreciated.