+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2022 - Citizenship Applicants

Nuug33

Mar 19, 2020
Good day.

my child is out of the country, Is it possible to attend the citizenship oath while my child is outside of Canada?
I know that its optional for the child to attend the citizenship oath.
please advice and thank you!

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Good day.

my child is out of the country, Is it possible to attend the citizenship oath while my child is outside of Canada?
I know that its optional for the child to attend the citizenship oath.
please advice and thank you!
this is not a technical answer, but logically yes your child under 14 need not attend the ceremony, and yes (till then the child is not a Canadian citizen) the child could be anywhere.

but points to think about are:

1 - the child can't enter Canada without a passport (if using usual commercial transport)
2 - you will have to surrender the child's PR card; do you have it with you? wouldn't he/she have used it while exiting Canada?
3 - for you to get a passport issued, he/she will have to sign the form if he/she is above 11 years age
4 - even if the child is under 11, his/her photo will have to be clicked here for the passport. i say this from experience since the officer really really questioned (finally accepted) our passport applications since it had pics clicked outside Canada even though they met all specifications

Reactions: Nuug33

Nuug33

Mar 19, 2020
this is not a technical answer, but logically yes your child under 14 need not attend the ceremony, and yes (till then the child is not a Canadian citizen) the child could be anywhere.

but points to think about are:

1 - the child can't enter Canada without a passport (if using usual commercial transport)
2 - you will have to surrender the child's PR card; do you have it with you? wouldn't he/she have used it while exiting Canada?
3 - for you to get a passport issued, he/she will have to sign the form if he/she is above 11 years age
4 - even if the child is under 11, his/her photo will have to be clicked here for the passport. i say this from experience since the officer really really questioned (finally accepted) our passport applications since it had pics clicked outside Canada even though they met all specifications
Thanks for your reply.
My child is under 10 years. I was thinking if the PR can mail to me and then apply Canadian passport after we got Canadian citizenship certificate, but like you mentioned passport photos clicked outside canada stamp date, maybe that will red flagged and officer will question.
I think safest way is the child should return to canada.

Last edited:

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Thanks for your reply.
My child is under 10 years. I was thinking if the PR can mail to me and then apply Canadian passport after we got Canadian citizenship certificate, but like you mentioned passport photos clicked outside canada stamp date, maybe that will red flagged and officer will question.
I think safest way is the child should return to canada.
yeah the child's return would be the simplest especially considering the high stakes - citizenship!!
you can get the PR card but thats needed for the oath ceremony. after that it won't be there with you (in person you surrender, virtual you cut it in pieces)

Reactions: Nuug33

Ziko1505

Star Member
Feb 26, 2019
uae
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
july 18,2018
AOR Received.
november 9,2018
File Transfer...
december 23,2018
Med's Request
november 11,2018
Med's Done....
november 16,2018
30 days since i took the test and still waiting the tracker to be updated as completed .

• Wow
Reactions: mejaz