+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending returned application with just the missing document - is it OK?

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Citizenship Application was returned due to missing 1 document. Letter stated to re-submit application with the missing document (option 1) OR to sign under option 2 to request for refund of fee.

Question: If the application is resent now with the missing document, does the main application form need to be signed again as well as the residence calculator need to revised again OR the original package is still valid? Note that the returned application 1st page has the stamp of the receiving date (which was 1 and half months ago). The total days in Canada was 1130 days when it was sent the 1st time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
goodman36 said:
Citizenship Application was returned due to missing 1 document. Letter stated to re-submit application with the missing document (option 1) OR to sign under option 2 to request for refund of fee.

Question: If the application is resent now with the missing document, does the main application form need to be signed again as well as the residence calculator need to revised again OR the original package is still valid? Note that the returned application 1st page has the stamp of the receiving date (which was 1 and half months ago). The total days in Canada was 1130 days when it was sent the 1st time.
The application will be treated as a new application once it's received again by CIC. If you want to submit it now, you will need to first meet the new 4 year out of 6 year residency requirement. If you don't meet the new residency requirement (which it doesn't appear you do), you will need to hold off resubmitting your application until you have four years of residency in the last six years.

ar_fabrics

Jun 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My opinion is exactly as Scylla. Actually I was typing while Scylla posted answer .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
goodman36 said:
OK. That's a shock.

So, the new rule (4 years out of 6) is already in effect?
Yes - as of June 11th (last Thursday).

Torontonion

Star Member
Nov 19, 2014
goodman36 said:
OK. That's a shock.

So, the new rule (4 years out of 6) is already in effect?
But you can take a chance it will cost 10-15 $ for canada post send the application again with missing document.

goodman36

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Scylla and ar_fabrics

I haven't visited the site for last 1 month. I was aware that the provision was decided last year and it was only a matter of time. Anyway, I was inquiring on behalf of a fellow friend who also evidently doesn't keep of happenings.

One more question, since the original application was stamped on May at Sydney - since it was returned - my friend still falls under the new guideline?

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
goodman36 said:
Thank you Scylla and ar_fabrics

I haven't visited the site for last 1 month. I was aware that the provision was decided last year and it was only a matter of time. Anyway, I was inquiring on behalf of a fellow friend who also evidently doesn't keep of happenings.

One more question, since the original application was stamped on May at Sydney - since it was returned - my friend still falls under the new guideline?
take a chance and resend it again with the missing document. you can argue that you assumed that you would still be considered an applicant under the old rules because you were not instructed to review your application against the new rules before resubmitting. (unless they did in the letter they sent you)

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tds69us said:
take a chance and resend it again with the missing document. you can argue that you assumed that you would still be considered an applicant under the old rules because you were not instructed to review your application against the new rules before resubmitting. (unless they did in the letter they sent you)
You should do that. And definitely report back!

If they still process that application under the old rules,
that piece of information would be EXTREMELY useful to a lot of people!

Snowbird12

Jun 9, 2015
goodman36 said:

Could you please specify when did you send it ? When did it return back!

Ronaldo Da Lima 89

Star Member
Aug 2, 2014
Dont sign it again and dont do a new calculation, just send it back as it is and you would be ok!

I have been through this before! When I called and asked the agent on the phone advised me since the application was stamped, it would be ok and I should not sign or re-do the calculation again!

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
scylla said:
The application will be treated as a new application once it's received again by CIC. If you want to submit it now, you will need to first meet the new 4 year out of 6 year residency requirement. If you don't meet the new residency requirement (which it doesn't appear you do), you will need to hold off resubmitting your application until you have four years of residency in the last six years.
I donot think so. It's already stamped, so, you are covered under old rules. Use option 1 , sign, attach reqd doc and send it without any modifications to appln (meaning your original appln is in tact, so it's not a new one) and you should be good. Good luck.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
goodman36 said:

The probable answer was provided by scylla:

scylla said:

Long explanation regarding why those saying it will be OK are most likely wrong:

All those who are saying it will be OK (so long as no new signature, no new calculation) are overlooking the impact of section 13 of the Citizenship Act in conjunction with section 31 of the SCCA.

Section 13 of the Citizenship Act prescribes what, in essence, constitutes a made application, which includes that the application be complete (all required information and documentation included).

Section 31 of the SCCA is the transitional provision which prescribes how the revised provisions in the Citizenship Act will be applied relative to when an application was "made."

In short, section 31(1)(a) of the SCCA specifically says (plugging in the now known effective dates) that an application "made" on or before June 10 will be governed by the 3/4 rule, while applications made June 11 or after will be governed by the 4/6 rule, the 183 X 4 CY requirement, compliance with CRA 4 X tax-years requirement, and the "intent to continue to reside in Canada" requirement.

Was this application "made" by June 10? Section 13 of the Citizenship Act appears to indicate it was NOT made before June 10, since it was incomplete. Thus, it is probable (highly probable) it will be subject to the revised requirements for grant citizenship, and a new application using the new form and "physical presence calculator" (rather than a residency calculator) will have to be submitted.

Why I say and emphasize "probable" rather than offering a definitive answer:

I am no expert. I am baffled by how definitively many participants in this forum will respond to questions like this . . . especially when quite often the definitive answer offered is at least partially incorrect, and considering that very often there is no known definitive answer.

I am quite confident about my interpretation and construction of section 13 of the Citizenship Act and how it will work in conjunction with section 31 of the SCCA, particularly since CIC has overtly indicated (and actually went to some lengths to make it happen this way) that only complete applications received as of June 10, 2015 will be processed pursuant to the old law. But this is indeed my interpretation and construction, and we have as yet to see what CIC will actually do in practice.

I agree with the suggestions to go ahead and re-submit, without revising anything other than including the omitted documentation, and see what happens . . . but with the understanding that the odds are very high (very, very high) the application will be returned again with instructions to use the current forms and physical presence calculator.

I suspect that the it-will-be-OK responses were largely based on past experience and CIC processing the later returned, then completed application, as if it was submitted at the time of the first submission (albeit incomplete). I suspect they are overlooking the fact that in all those instances it is not the date the application was received by CIC that mattered, but the date the application was signed. Same effect would have happened if the applicant accidentally mailed it to a brother and a month later the brother mailed it back, and the applicant just properly addressed it and sent it to CIC . . . CIC would still process it based on the date it was signed even though not received until more than a month after it was originally signed and sent (to the wrong address) . . . so long as the application is not stale-dated as of the date it actually arrives at CIC.

What CIC did, very obviously deliberately did, was to prescribe that as of June 11, 2015 only applications completed using the new form (which was not available prior to June 11, and indeed not available until late in the day June 11) would be accepted as complete. CIC had to do it this way in order to implement an absolute cut off. Otherwise applications using the old form could trickle in for many weeks, and so long as they were "complete" and signed June 10 or before and were not stale-dated (I forget what CIC considers stale-dated, probably 90 days), CIC would have to process them pursuant to the old law, the 3/4 rule with allowance for half day credit for pre-landing time in Canada. This is how section 13 of the Citizenship Act in conjunction with section 31 of the SCCA would have worked except CIC has broad discretion to dictate the form in which the application must be made . . . so again, it changed the required form as of June 11, so that as of June 11 only applications made using the new form would be complete. As I have noted otherwise, this was a rather tricky maneuver by CIC, and quite frankly, given the very short advance notice of the date the new form would be absolutely required, a date less than the ordinary mailing time previous to the implementation of the new form, seems to me to have been patently unfair . . . probably not so unfair as to have been illegal (given that official notice of the changes was given as of August 13, 2014), but so unfair as to warrant harsh criticism.

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC website says "Applications that were received on or after June 11, 2015 that do not use the latest version of the application will be considered incomplete and will be returned. Incomplete applications that were returned prior to June 11, 2015 must be resubmitted using the new application forms."