+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-employed work in Canada not considered Work Experience. Can anyone help?

Cola

Mar 20, 2013
Hi, I'm from the UK and have been living in Canada for over a year and a half (I'm currently on my second, and final, Working Holiday Visa).

Originally I was going to apply for the Canadian Experience Class as I have the required work-experience in Canada. But I discovered freelance work is not considered (I don't have any T4 slips but have paid my Canadian tax). I considered applying for the Self-Employed Program, but found they require a net worth of C$100,000.

Are there any options left for me? Ideally I'd like to apply for a Bridging-Visa too, as my Working Holiday Visa expires in 4 months, although this may be over-optimistic.

I'd really appreciate any advice,

Charlie

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Cola said:
Hi, I'm from the UK and have been living in Canada for over a year and a half (I'm currently on my second, and final, Working Holiday Visa).

Originally I was going to apply for the Canadian Experience Class as I have the required work-experience in Canada. But I discovered freelance work is not considered (I don't have any T4 slips but have paid my Canadian tax). I considered applying for the Self-Employed Program, but found they require a net worth of C$100,000.

Are there any options left for me? Ideally I'd like to apply for a Bridging-Visa too, as my Working Holiday Visa expires in 4 months, although this may be over-optimistic.

I'd really appreciate any advice,

Charlie
1. There is no bridging visa for IEC's holders as that work permit is not extendable.
2. You are going to have to find a job, where the employer will apply for an approved LMO after advertising the position for 2 weeks on the Job Bank, demonstrate no PRs/Citizens qualified/Available for the job. Then you can apply for a new work permit.

Cola

Mar 20, 2013
I worried this may be the only option. I've been searching, but my chances aren't great (my field is quite competitive).

Would you happen to know; does the job need to be a certain number of hours per week? Would a company definitely have to hire me, or simply show they intend to hire me (and then we could work out the specifics of my employment after I received a new work permit).

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The job must be full time.

The company definitely has to hire you.

The company must provide the terms of your employment as part of the LMO approval process (e.g. salary you will be paid). If they say one thing when they apply for the LMO but you end up doing something else - you will be violating the terms of your work permit.

nansspnosa

Apr 23, 2013
isnt self-employed doesnt necessarily require that you have net worth of $100,000? I think its for investor category

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nansspnosa said:
isnt self-employed doesnt necessarily require that you have net worth of $100,000? I think its for investor category
The OP was working as a self-employed person while here on a working holiday visa. This is different than immigrating as a self-employed individual.