+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed- Proof of employemnt

maxo

Star Member
Dec 29, 2008
Hi

In employment column what should be mentioned if applicant was casually self employed.For example working on commission basis (marketing).Applicant was not registered as self employed but was taking petty part time free lance marketing assignments.

As a proof of employment what can be submitted in the above case.Will a letter explaining the nature of casual self employment help?

Thanks in advance.

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can submit your NOAs for last 3-4 years which will show you have income. Also submit other documents you may have like letters/correspondents/agreement/or whatever supporting of your marketing assignments. You may write under work: Marketing Consultant and under Employer: Self Employed. Remember, in your situation, NOA is the most important work document.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
rayman_m said:
You can submit your NOAs for last 3-4 years which will show you have income. Also submit other documents you may have like letters/correspondents/agreement/or whatever supporting of your marketing assignments. You may write under work: Marketing Consultant and under Employer: Self Employed. Remember, in your situation, NOA is the most important work document.
excuse me What is NOAs?
and is it ok also for casual cash jobs?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Travel Dream said:
excuse me What is NOAs? and is it ok also for casual cash jobs?
NOA means Notice of Assessment. Cash job is not a self employed. Under self employed, you have to have some kind of work activity on your own and you file income tax.

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
rayman_m said:
NOA means Notice of Assessment. Cash job is not a self employed. Under self employed, you have to have some kind of work activity on your own and you file income tax.
I worked in first month after landing some cash causal jobs. I filed this money in my Tax for that year. What is appropriate approve for that. These jobs were on call and not fixed hours or days.

Hopeful One

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you sent in tax returns you will have gotten a Notice of Assessment. Use that as your proof of employment even if you worked casually for cash.

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
forgive me for asking - have they asked for submission of proof of employment as part of citizenship application? I couldn’t seem to have noticed that in the document checklist

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
That's a very old thread...

Hello
Can you explain me what is notice of assessment plz ?
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/notice-assessment-understand.html

forgive me for asking - have they asked for submission of proof of employment as part of citizenship application? I couldn’t seem to have noticed that in the document checklist
No, it's not part of the application (at least now, no idea about 2014 when OP asked his question...), but IRCC can always send a RQ down the line for additional documents, that may include asking for an employment proof. Most applicants don't get that though.

Reactions: Nick1233

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Is this proof of employment just a supporting document or necessary one for citizenship?