+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Advice: Visa Situation - PGWP and TRV Extension

naidusuresh36

Feb 1, 2023
Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I'm facing a bit of a visa conundrum and could really use some advice on how to proceed. Here's a summary of my situation:

I recently completed my Master's degree in Quebec, which allowed me to obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). However, my passport was set to expire by March 2024, so my work permit was only granted until that date. In an attempt to extend my stay, I renewed my passport and applied for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) extension. Unfortunately, I was given a "W-1" category visa, which extends my stay until March 2024 without any additional time for my PGWP. I provided a detailed explanation of my situation in the TRV extension application, but it didn't result in the desired outcome.

Normally, I should have received a 3-year PGWP, but I ended up with only a 1-year work permit. Now, when trying to extend my work permit, the IRCC is asking for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which seems like a complex process. I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice on how I can navigate this situation and maximize my chances of obtaining a more extended PGWP.

Thank you all in advance for your support and valuable suggestions.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I'm facing a bit of a visa conundrum and could really use some advice on how to proceed. Here's a summary of my situation:

I recently completed my Master's degree in Quebec, which allowed me to obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). However, my passport was set to expire by March 2024, so my work permit was only granted until that date. In an attempt to extend my stay, I renewed my passport and applied for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) extension. Unfortunately, I was given a "W-1" category visa, which extends my stay until March 2024 without any additional time for my PGWP. I provided a detailed explanation of my situation in the TRV extension application, but it didn't result in the desired outcome.

Normally, I should have received a 3-year PGWP, but I ended up with only a 1-year work permit. Now, when trying to extend my work permit, the IRCC is asking for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which seems like a complex process. I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice on how I can navigate this situation and maximize my chances of obtaining a more extended PGWP.

Thank you all in advance for your support and valuable suggestions.
Applying for a TRV extension only allows you to stay in Canada longer as a visitor. This does not extend your PGWP. Unfortunately this was the wrong thing to apply for.

Suggest you post to the international student section of the forum. The topic of extending PGWPs is covered in several threads there. It's not a complicated process but you have to apply for the right thing.