+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seattle-Vancouver method.

brit1996

Apr 26, 2016
If my PR card has expired and I want to re enter Canada through the US with my British Passport what would i need with me and what are the chances i will get through without any issues?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you meet the RO (residency obligation) or not? If you meet the RO, you simply show your expired PR card at the border, explain that you do meet the RO but haven't had the time to renew your PR card yet or didn't realize it was about to expire. The immigration officer will let you enter and maybe give you a lecture.

If you don't meet the RO, you do not have to tell them that but you should not lie if they ask you. If they suspect or find out that you are in breach of it, they can report you for it which starts the procedure to revoke your PR status. You can appeal this but winning an appeal depends on the reason why you don't meet the RO. If you have H&C grounds, you have a chance with the appeal. If you stayed outside because you had a good job for example, then you don't really have a chance.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
brit1996 said:
If my PR card has expired and I want to re enter Canada through the US with my British Passport what would i need with me and what are the chances i will get through without any issues?
You would need your British Passport. When you cross the border, answer any questions they ask honestly. If they don't ask if you are a Permanent Resident, you don't have to tell. If they ask your status, you are a P/R.

ASAINI

Star Member
Apr 27, 2010
brit1996 said:
I Have alot of H&C reasons, but what are the chances they will completely deny me entry?
They cannot stop you from entering Canada. As a PR it is your right to enter Canada. The maximum they can do is report you for not fulfilling RO and then you may appeal in the court. In no case they will deny you entry as until and unless your PR status is revoked by CIC you are a PR.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
All the answers here indicate you are crossing the border by car, but unless i missed it ... how are you planning to get from Seattle to Vancouver? You said you are entering through the US, I assume that's the land border? Because if you are flying you are at risk of being asked questions about your missing eTA.
Technically, there is a leniency period there so you don't need one until "the fall", but if you don't have one the airline may want to see your PR card and can deny you boarding because it's expired.

So in this case, you really must cross the land border.
As to whether or not it's without issues, that really depends upon the RO - you'll get through regardless, but if you've been in Canada < 730 days in the last 5 years you might be in for a number of questions and at risk of losing your PR in the future.

poppy88

Jul 24, 2013
But if you dont have a PR card due to it being lost/stolen and are awaiting a replacement, are you able to land cross to the US without one? without problems?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poppy88 said:
But if you dont have a PR card due to it being lost/stolen and are awaiting a replacement, are you able to land cross to the US without one? without problems?
If you are a Canadian PR without a PR card, you can cross by land from the US if you have a visa exempt passport or if you have your COPR. They can not deny you entry if you are a PR and if you show your COPR and explain that your lost your PR card or it was stolen, they will not deny you entry either. They can however report you for not meeting the RO if they suspect that is the case.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
poppy88 said:
You can cross the border without a PR card by car. I've done it dozens of times, including yesterday.

Sometimes, they ask status. Sometimes, they don't. With US plates, they often assume you're visiting, and with CA plates, they often assume you're returning home.

Two weeks or so ago, I was waved through after answering I had nothing to declare. I didn't show any documentation at all. Usually, the CoPR was good enough, but sometimes they would lecture me, sometimes they wouldn't. I've had other times that I said I was a PR, and they took me at my word.

Another thing that impacts the questioning is travel duration. They often ask how long we were out of the country. When the answer is "an hour or so", they give very little scrutiny. When the answer is "4 years", the odds of a RO investigation go way, way up.

Another thing that impacts the questioning is time. The more report ports tend to be more thorough. Busy times get less attention from the officers, but when you are the only car in line (3AM), they can spend a lot more time asking questions, and will. They will also pick up on any unusual behaviour - if you arrive at 3AM, they often ask about job status, and why you aren't at a conventional work.

If you have NEXUS, they often don't ask immigration status. With me, they ask less than 5% of the time, but I do have Canadian plates. People with NEXUS generally have their act together, so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't ask because they've never had an issue. I've confirmed with multiple officers that scanning the NEXUS card does not show them your status in the country.

If you are a PR, you have right of entry. You will be able to enter with a CoPR. You will be able to enter without a CoPR. If you are in breach of the RO, you may be reported. The less reputable you look (and act), the more likely that is to happen.

mykonso82

Apr 7, 2009
Leon said:
If you are a Canadian PR without a PR card, you can cross by land from the US if you have a visa exempt passport or if you have your COPR. They can not deny you entry if you are a PR and if you show your COPR and explain that your lost your PR card or it was stolen, they will not deny you entry either. They can however report you for not meeting the RO if they suspect that is the case.
Hi Leon, my PR card will expire in Jul 17 and I have not met the residency obligation as well and is planning to enter by US-Canada land border by rental car. As I am holding on to visa exempt passport, should I or should I not show by Canadian PR card when entering the PoE at Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mykonso82 said:
Hi Leon, my PR card will expire in Jul 17 and I have not met the residency obligation as well and is planning to enter by US-Canada land border by rental car. As I am holding on to visa exempt passport, should I or should I not show by Canadian PR card when entering the PoE at Canada?
That's a good question. You don't have to show it but they might figure out from your passport that you are a PR in which case they will wonder why you don't want to show your PR card and may become suspicious that you don't meet the RO. Since it's still valid for another year and a bit more, you may be better off showing it.