+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Education better in Vancouver or Toronto?

raniashok

Aug 5, 2014
Hi Experts,

I need advice on which city is better for primary & secondary education? Vancouver or Toronto?

I am an Indian and currently I live in Brampton and kids (6 & 4) are enrolled in various activities offered by Community classes, UCMAS, Kumon etc etc.. My husband is offered a job in Vancouver (Delta). I am confused by surveys and comparison people have made over various blogging sites.

I love to be in warmer city but at same time, afraid of being in always rainy or no sun place.
I know cost of living and real estate is higher in Vancouver.

So, I have come to find about more on education and activities in Vancouver.
Please provide your advice on what is really better? Thanks a lot..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't really compare Vancouver vs. Toronto for quality of primary and secondary school education. Each city has schools that perform better and schools that perform worse. If you are heading to Vancouver, then you'll want to research the schools there to find out which score better. Note that you generally have to live in neighbourhood the school is located in to attend it. In other words, you can't generally live in one place and attend primary/secondary school in another. So if you want your children to attend a specific school, you will need to live in the right neighbourhood to qualify.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Either Toronto or Vancouver its the same. Bottom like is your kids will get far better education anywhere in Canada than India

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
newtone said:
Either Toronto or Vancouver its the same. Bottom like is your kids will get far better education anywhere in Canada than India
That's quite a glaring statement to make. I don't know about India, but my brother was (through the British Cambridge system) receiving a much better quality of secondary education in Pakistan. Public school education in Canada is pretty dumbed down, unless the kids enroll in International Baccalaureate. The things my brother learnt in 8 grade math was what they're teaching in 10-11 in Canada. The high school education for BC and Ontario should be identical and similar.

That said, and answering the OP's questions, Delta is home to a number of good schools, with Burnsview Secondary being the best-rated school there. Surrey has a lot of schools as well, some rated better than others. You should visit http://britishcolumbia.compareschoolrankings.org/ for more information.

The lower mainland of BC / Vancouver area still has a lot of sunshine in the peak summer months. And the lack of snow facilitates for the eternal snow of Brampton. 50% of the days, however, are wet.

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
jazibkg said:
That's quite a glaring statement to make. I don't know about India, but my brother was (through the British Cambridge system) receiving a much better quality of secondary education in Pakistan. Public school education in Canada is pretty dumbed down, unless the kids enroll in International Baccalaureate. The things my brother learnt in 8 grade math was what they're teaching in 10-11 in Canada. The high school education for BC and Ontario should be identical and similar.

That said, and answering the OP's questions, Delta is home to a number of good schools, with Burnsview Secondary being the best-rated school there. Surrey has a lot of schools as well, some rated better than others. You should visit http://britishcolumbia.compareschoolrankings.org/ for more information.

The lower mainland of BC / Vancouver area still has a lot of sunshine in the peak summer months. And the lack of snow facilitates for the eternal snow of Brampton. 50% of the days, however, are wet.
Nothing to argue; But its simple - just compare Canada and Pakistan or any third world country and its easy to know which one is better LOL

Canada is far better in every aspect for sure

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You cannot compare private British education system to public Canadian education. Its like comparing apples to oranges. There are many private schools in Canada which are equally good or far better than any Brit school. If education system were better in third world countries people would not immigrate here for the future of their kids.

lafrenier

Mar 20, 2015
raniashok said:
Hi Experts,

I need advice on which city is better for primary & secondary education? Vancouver or Toronto?

I am an Indian and currently I live in Brampton and kids (6 & 4) are enrolled in various activities offered by Community classes, UCMAS, Kumon etc etc.. My husband is offered a job in Vancouver (Delta). I am confused by surveys and comparison people have made over various blogging sites.

I love to be in warmer city but at same time, afraid of being in always rainy or no sun place.
I know cost of living and real estate is higher in Vancouver.

So, I have come to find about more on education and activities in Vancouver.
Please provide your advice on what is really better? Thanks a lot..
The question is not correct I think.

raniashok

Aug 5, 2014
Thanks everyone for their comments.

Well, I am trying to analyze and figure out which city is better for living in terms of housing, education, weather, health jobs etc etc.

Some people say Vancouver is a city to retire. It has a relaxed lifestyle and Toronto has rush rush lifestyle. But then Toronto is hub of jobs, Vancouver is ok until you have a job..
Vancouver has more construction people as opposed to techie people in Toronto.

Universities are better in Toronto than in Vancouver but then graduates keep looking for job in Toronto for longer and Vancouver graduates are placed faster.

It is tough to decide once you live at a place for 8 years or so and then move to different place to settle from ground zero again.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
raniashok said:

Well, I am trying to analyze and figure out which city is better for living in terms of housing, education, weather, health jobs etc etc.

Some people say Vancouver is a city to retire. It has a relaxed lifestyle and Toronto has rush rush lifestyle. But then Toronto is hub of jobs, Vancouver is ok until you have a job..

Universities are better in Toronto than in Vancouver but then graduates keep looking for job in Toronto for longer and Vancouver graduates are placed faster.

It is tough to decide once you live at a place for 8 years or so and then move to different place to settle from ground zero again.
Techie people in Toronto? Vancouver is quite the North American start-up / software developer haven.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
zoya_99 said:
Nothing to argue; But its simple - just compare Canada and Pakistan or any third world country and its easy to know which one is better LOL

Canada is far better in every aspect for sure
We were specifically talking about the education here. Public education in Canada is dumbed down in my opinion. Then they expect a sharp learning curve which needs much acceleration as soon as a student enters university. Public education in Canada is geared towards an audience where anyone can graduate high school without much effort. It is all about 'equality' and all the nonsense words created to mask mediocrity and suppress excellence. If you think it isn't dumbed down, is because you have no idea of other country's curriculum and how much public schooling in Canada falls short.

This "just compare Canada and Pakistan and easy to know which is better" is a non-starter of an argument. We are discussing specifics here. Everything is an opinion.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
newtone said:
You cannot compare private British education system to public Canadian education. Its like comparing apples to oranges. There are many private schools in Canada which are equally good or far better than any Brit school. If education system were better in third world countries people would not immigrate here for the future of their kids.
The O/A Levels are the PUBLIC education British system, taught in private schools in Pakistan, but public schools in England and Singapore, and many other countries. And please don't go too far here, "many private schools in Canada...far better than any brit school". LOL. You mean to say they can surpass Eton and Harrow? There isn't even a world famous secondary school in Canada Newtone, whilst Eton and Harrow are world famous prestigious names.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
raniashok said:

At the end of it, it all boils down to personal preference.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazibkg said:
The O/A Levels are the PUBLIC education British system, taught in private schools in Pakistan, but public schools in England and Singapore, and many other countries. And please don't go too far here, "many private schools in Canada...far better than any brit school". LOL. You mean to say they can surpass Eton and Harrow? There isn't even a world famous secondary school in Canada Newtone, whilst Eton and Harrow are world famous prestigious names.
For those kind of schools u need tons $$$. I am talking about majority of people in this forum

vish.777

Aug 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi --> WARSAW
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/10/2014
Nomination.....
PER 25/01/2015
AOR Received.
Warsaw on 10/02/2015
File Transfer...
[b][size=12pt]Bought a Frying Pan :p
Med's Request
05/05/2015
Med's Done....
12/05/2015
Interview........
[b][color=goldenrod] DM - 23/05/2015
Passport Req..
[color=coral][b]27/05/2015
VISA ISSUED...
[color=teal][b]20/05/2015 as per COPR, PP received on 12/06/2015
newtone said:
I do not agree with you Newtone!

Apart from english being the national language in Canada (french in some parts), which anyway is the First language in most of the Indian schools, the standard of maths, physics and chemistry until high school then followed by bachelors degrees (Engineering, IT and Arts ) are very competent.

There are stages of education system which aren't great in India like the master's degree. Foreign master's degrees give a greater practical exposure than here, hence you find many international students in Canadian Universities than in schools and bachelors degrees.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
vish.777 said:
There are stages of education system which aren't great in India like the master's degree. Foreign master's degrees give a greater practical exposure than here, hence you find many international students in Canadian Universities than in schools and bachelors degrees.
That is true.. I once gave a job to a guy with an MBA Accounting to do the cashiers job in the hotel I was manager. Unfortunately he did not last long, to much money gone missing. Not stealing, but he did have no idea about anything related to money. Go figure. He must have bought the paper from Bangalore University or so..