+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scared of mandatory medical exam

Feb 17, 2015
I'm 17 and I'll study in British Columbia. I love Canada. I would do a lot to live there one day permanently (even pay expensive international student tuition and so on). However, there is one thing I would not do and this is having a too "detailed" medical exam. I haven't been to the doctor for many years (too scared!!) and I don't want a stranger to touch me. Not even a female doctor...I am female. I'm always trembling like hell if I have to go because of sth, so my fear of doctors is very strong :(

Now I read some unpleasant things about this mandatory permanent resident exam. Well..like having to remove your underwear. Immigrants to Germany for example or to other European countries don't have to do that. I think this goes a little bit too far. Immigrants also have their privacy!

Can I just tell the doctor I don't want it? (I would maybe try to overcome my fear and let them do everything else but NOT this). I know I can't choose any doctor I want. Are they tolerant and accept it, if I don't want it (I mean having to show them things I don't want^^you know what I mean)? Do you have experiences if they accept it? Can I just tell them, "until here but not further"? It's so horrible for me.

I know it's still far in the future but I love planning things ahead and all I really want is to live in Canada!

Thank you very much and sorry for that question but I don't know where else I should ask...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You must complete a full medical as part of the process of immmigrating to Canada. You don't have the option of skipping part of the exam. If you do not complete the full medical exam this will result in a refusal.

Taking off your underwear is not part of the exam.

Feb 17, 2015
Ok thank you for the fast reply. If I really don't have to do that (although I read it on the internet which wonders me...) than I'm probably ok with the rest...somehow.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know how these rumours get started. One woman did not want her daughter to get a medical exam because she thought it would involve a pap smear. It doesn't. You do have to strip down to your underwear and walk across the room and back. You don't have to take your underwear off. The doctor will listen to your heart and take your blood pressure. You'll have to do a visual test. You'll have to do a lung x-ray. They will also do a blood and urine test. As far as I can recall, that's it.

mooer

Mar 6, 2014
Victoria, BC
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-03-14
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
11-09-2014
Med's Done....
16-09-2014
Passport Req..
Visa exempt - RPRF 06-11-14
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 26-01-15
LANDED..........
01-02-15
I did not have to strip to my underwear (I am also female). Because of my age (45) she wanted to give me a breast exam but that was it. She listed to my chest, did blood pressure etc and an eye test but that was it. Even at the chest x-ray you do not have to strip off at all.