Salaries in Canada compared to US consultancy salaries

nirvana555

Star Member
Apr 11, 2011
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

I am currently a consultant in the US working for a Desi consultancy on H1-B. If I had a Green Card(US), then I would have made more money than I am currently making since I would have saved the Consultancy's share. For example, If I make 75 k as a consultant through consultancy, perhaps I would have made 90K or even more in the US(it might be even more actually).

If I do move to Canada and find a job there, do you guys think I can expect salaries close to my Green cards salaries in the US, if not very close (I know the salaries in Canada are less than those in the US, in general).

Or, in other words, can I make better salary in Canada than I am making now, as a consultant working for a Desi consultancy in the US?

(currency in US dollars in this post)
I moved here from US back in 2011 after doing my masters in US and worked in tech sector for 5 years. In terms of Salary I was making about $55 per hour in US (with desi consultant) and my first job in Canada was 90k annual permanent. I would say be patient for couple of years and gather some good Canadian experience under your belt and then you will start to see good rates (as contractor) I know many experienced (7-10yrs) desi developers with right skill sets making well into 6 figures in perm roles or making above $100 per hour (not so good ones still making atleast $65~$75) as a contractor. Another major benefit as a contractor is that you only pay 15% corporate tax (ofcourse you pay personal tax on you withdrawals for personal use but a good CA can guide you will to minimize your tax bill). As a contractor myself my total tax (corp + personal) is mostly around 20%. Also because I dont have to worry about visa issues I also have started my own business on side to make some extra cash...thats the beauty of living as a PR or citizen here..you have time to think about other ideas when you are not consumed by immigration issues. I hope it helps.

funkypandaz

Mar 15, 2017
I moved here from US back in 2011 after doing my masters in US and worked in tech sector for 5 years. In terms of Salary I was making about $55 per hour in US (with desi consultant) and my first job in Canada was 90k annual permanent. I would say be patient for couple of years and gather some good Canadian experience under your belt and then you will start to see good rates (as contractor) I know many experienced (7-10yrs) desi developers with right skill sets making well into 6 figures in perm roles or making above $100 per hour (not so good ones still making atleast $65~$75) as a contractor. Another major benefit as a contractor is that you only pay 15% corporate tax (ofcourse you pay personal tax on you withdrawals for personal use but a good CA can guide you will to minimize your tax bill). As a contractor myself my total tax (corp + personal) is mostly around 20%. Also because I dont have to worry about visa issues I also have started my own business on side to make some extra cash...thats the beauty of living as a PR or citizen here..you have time to think about other ideas when you are not consumed by immigration issues. I hope it helps.
Very well said, it's true that you wouldn't be over burdened with thinking about the immigration issues once you have a PR and can start something of your own on the side.