+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Salaries in Canada compared to US consultancy salaries

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi guys,

I am currently a consultant in the US working for a Desi consultancy on H1-B. If I had a Green Card(US), then I would have made more money than I am currently making since I would have saved the Consultancy's share. For example, If I make 75 k as a consultant through consultancy, perhaps I would have made 90K or even more in the US(it might be even more actually).

If I do move to Canada and find a job there, do you guys think I can expect salaries close to my Green cards salaries in the US, if not very close (I know the salaries in Canada are less than those in the US, in general).

Or, in other words, can I make better salary in Canada than I am making now, as a consultant working for a Desi consultancy in the US?

(currency in US dollars in this post)

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I'm in similar boat and in US, but based on my research earning more than US is impossible. Expect 40% pay cut overall after factoring conversion even with a pr status. 40% lesser probably from consultant pay. Over the time you might close the gap to some extent with more Canadian experience but it is impossible to build wealth like we currently build in US.

It is as simple as this.. the lost amount is the premium you pay to live in stability and get Canadian citizenship. If you are not keen on that and just like to build wealth being in visa status, US is lot better place to be in.

Reactions: paneka penalty

Vaibhav.goel85

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
NOC Code......
Benefits I see for Canada PR:

You get unemployment benefit in Canada
You dont have keep worying about renewals/ promotions/ job changes with Administration
No one can kick you out if you loose job
Once you get Citizenship you can get TN visa

You might be able to get your Citizenship before you get your US GC.

I understand net worth would never be same. Again what I see is in coming years Countries will strict rules for immigration:

In Canada itself PNP are not resctricted as compared to 2014-2015 like
BC OR Alberta now needs education or job from province.
SK removed IT JOBS from demand list
NS onky have few spots 1250 per year and its race if you can submit you get lucky.

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just came across this thread....I moved to Canada around 3 years back after being in US for about 7 years...I think the comparison you guys are making here is not ideal....Yes, I agree salaries are less here but what you are comparing is what you get in US working as a contractor with no benefits and working permanent/full time in Canada with all the benefits....Correct ?

If you are ready to work as a contractor in Canada [in IT field] with around 5-7 years of experience as developer then you can expect to get around 40 to 70 dollars an hour + 13% of GST......if you are in testing/QA then it would be around 30-50 dollars an hour + GST......which is decent enough if not a lot....( I am assuming that the technology you work on has jobs in Canada and you are incorporated)

A people's manager on contract position makes around 100-120 dollars an hour + GST

I am talking Canadian dollars and please don't get exchange rate in between as it keeps changing with USD being on more stable side of-course...

The real problem is the number of jobs/opportunities....

One good thing in US is that you may be able to find work in remotest city where cost of living is very low so you end up saving more....
But here in Canada you have to be in a big city to get a better opportunity and money so you end up saving less...again I am talking about IT related jobs...

Hope it helps....

Last edited:

RD1

Aug 7, 2017
Just came across this thread....I moved to Canada around 3 years back after being in US for about 7 years...I think the comparison you guys are making here is not ideal....Yes, I agree salaries are less here but what you are comparing is what you get in US working as a contractor with no benefits and working permanent/full time in Canada with all the benefits....Correct ?

If you are ready to work as a contractor in Canada [in IT field] with around 5-7 years of experience as developer then you can expect to get around 40 to 70 dollars an hour + 13% of GST......if you are in testing/QA then it would be around 30-50 dollars an hour + GST......which is decent enough if not a lot....( I am assuming that the technology you work on has jobs in Canada and you are incorporated)

A people's manager on contract position makes around 100-120 dollars an hour + GST

I am talking Canadian dollars and please don't get exchange rate in between as it keeps changing with USD being on more stable side of-course...

One good thing in US is that you may be able to find work in remotest city where cost of living is very low so you end up saving more....
But here in Canada you have to be in a big city to get a better opportunity and money so you end up saving less...again I am talking about IT related jobs...

Hope it helps....
Hello,

I am planning my move to canada and wanted to talk to persons who has gone through this phase. Since you have moved to canada from us 3 years back(my case is same, currently in US), hence I feel I can get some valuable information from you. Is it possible to talk to you over phone ? If you reply to this thread then I will leave my phone # if you don't feel like sharing your phone # in open forum.

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am planning my move to canada and wanted to talk to persons who has gone through this phase. Since you have moved to canada from us 3 years back(my case is same, currently in US), hence I feel I can get some valuable information from you. Is it possible to talk to you over phone ? If you reply to this thread then I will leave my phone # if you don't feel like sharing your phone # in open forum.
Just sent you a personal message with my number....

Reactions: RD1

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

Hope it helps....

Hey do we get GST of 13% with the salary that we finally agreed? Is it applicable for full time employment too? Like if they agree to pay 90k, would it be 90k + 13%, or it is just applicable for contracting jobs?

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey do we get GST of 13% with the salary that we finally agreed? Is it applicable for full time employment too? Like if they agree to pay 90k, would it be 90k + 13%, or it is just applicable for contracting jobs?
Oh you only get it when you work as a contractor/incorporated employee (incorporation means that you have registered a company...its a simple online process or you may take professional help to register a company).....your employer must pay you that....its just like as you pay taxes when you buy something....so your employer is buying your services and pay you taxes....its just the GST that you are supposed to pay back to the government...usually you end up saving some out of it...lets say you end up actually paying may be around 8-9% (don't want to go in details here) to govt. once you are done with your taxes.....

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Oh you only get it when you work as a contractor.....your employer must pay you that....its just like as you pay taxes when you buy something....so your employer is buying your services and pay you taxes....its just the GST that you are supposed to pay back to the government...usually you end up saving some out of it...lets say you end up actually paying may be around 8-9% (don't want to go in details here) to govt. once you are done with your taxes.....
Got it.. is it possible to reach close to US salary levels (just at figure level, not conversion level) at all over the course of time with more local experience?

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Got it.. is it possible to reach close to US salary levels (just at figure level, not conversion level) at all over the course of time with more local experience?
I'll say yes and am even considering the conversion factor.....but I am quoting me and people that I know as an example here....cant say for everyone....and please read my above comment again...made a change there....

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I'll say yes and am even considering the conversion factor.....but I am quoting me and people that I know as an example here....cant say for everyone....and please read my above comment again...made a change there....
That's nice to know! Thank you!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hey also by any chance do you know how's the market for SAS (statistical language/tool for BI/data prep/report creation )?

dks2323

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey also by any chance do you know how's the market for SAS (statistical language/tool for BI/data prep/report creation )?
I have no idea about that...I don't know anyone working in SAS so cant help you there...