06-Nov-2014
AOR Received.
19-Dec-2014
Med's Request
02-Mar-2015
Passport Req..
01-Apr-2015
Hi Senior,

I am FSW 2014 applicant and already got PPR from VO. I would like to know the rule for those who landed Canada for a short visit to get PR card and go back to their country to settle something. I would like to know how long can we stay in other country after the first landing and got the PR card?

6 months? 1 year?

Please advise.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
tun001757 said:
Hi Senior,

I am FSW 2014 applicant and already got PPR from VO. I would like to know the rule for those who landed Canada for a short visit to get PR card and go back to their country to settle something. I would like to know how long can we stay in other country after the first landing and got the PR card?

6 months? 1 year?

Please advise.
Current PR Residency Obligation is merely 730 days (two years) within the first five years following landing.

Thus, technically, a new PR could land and soon leave and not return to Canada for nearly three years.

But that would be cutting it close. The forums are rife with personal stories of PRs who delayed settling in Canada and ran into problems making the move in time . . . or those who made the move in time but then a parent at home is suddenly terminally ill and the PR has little or no margin for being outside Canada.

Many PRs, however, do indeed delay actually settling in Canada for around a year or so, even more.

Congratulations and welcome to a great country.

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Dear Seniors,
A couple of questions on the same thread:
My husband & I are going to short land in Toronto for 1 week and then go back to our home country to do our stuff before landing in Canada for good. Now, I have the following queries and I really appreciate it if someone can help me out:

1) I'm going to give the officer my friend's address in Toronto for my PR card to be mailed there but I hear if I inform the officer that I'm staying for a week or two only, chances are he won't email the PR card. How true is this? If this is the case, then do u suggest I announce a longer stay period even if it's not necessarily so (I can't stay longer than one week due to my job constraints)? What if I have my return ticket already booked for one week?

2) What can I do during this one week in Canada which might save me time later on (opening a bank account, obtaining SIN number, OHIP, driving license, etc.).

3) What's the least amount of fund we have to have with us for landing in Canada? Obviously, for amounts exceeding 10,000 CAD for each individual, one has to declare, but is there a minimum requirement? Some people say you have to have with you no less than $14,853 for two people as you initially declared on your proof of fund. Is that right?! The reason I'm asking this is that we obviously don't need a large sum of money for a one week stay in Canada and as such we are not willing to carry a huge amount of money with us and risk losing money on currency exchange rate when we get back home and exchange them for local currency.

4) Each person can carry with him/her something like 23 k of baggage and one 8-k carry bag inside the plane, right? That is, we both can have 2*23 K PLUS 2*8 K, is that right?

5) Any other points/precautions I should take heed of?

Looking forward to your kind responses :)

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Oops, sorry...A typo in line item 1: "...chances are he won't email the PR card..." Actually, I mean "mail the PR card"

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Tell the truth

2. Many PRs apply for the docs you list - some require proof of address which you won't have so you will deal with them when you come back permanently.

3. You must fulfil all the conditions of PR visa until you are landed...showing up at the border with no proof of funds in a freely convertible currency is a bad idea. How much loss do you have on a circa $15K shift spread from currency fluctuations? Its probably less than the cost of your ticket. Is this worth the risk of your landing being delayed?

4. Depends on the airline you are using - check on their luggage situation.

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Msafiri said:
3. You must fulfil all the conditions of PR visa until you are landed...showing up at the border with no proof of funds in a freely convertible currency is a bad idea. How much loss do you have on a circa $15K shift spread from currency fluctuations? Its probably less than the cost of your ticket. Is this worth the risk of your landing being delayed?
Dear Msafiri,
Thanks for your reply. Well, actually where I come from, currency fluctuations are an everyday phenomenon and you can lose or gain huge amounts overnight let alone over a week or two. As for the figure we're talking about here, you're right, it might prove to be a huge loss of money at the end of the day but only if it's a simple currency exchange and doesn't entail liquidating your other assets to fulfill the proof of funds requirement. What I basically mean is that if I were supposed to go on with my big plan (land and stay for good), then it was perfectly fine to set fire to all your assets in your home country, turn them into freely convertible currency, meet and even exceed the 15K figure, etc. but when you're going to stay only for a week, get back home to get on with your normal life for another 9-12 months before embarking upon your big plan, knowing full well that this time you'll have to bring with you a huge saving to keep you going in the new land for a year at least just in case you're not among the lucky few who would land a job in the first few months post-landing, then you would probably think twice over how you're gonna spend every penny of your saving all along.
Bu anyway, is it just a risk of delayed landing I'll be facing or rejection?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sarah1791 said:
.......Bu anyway, is it just a risk of delayed landing I'll be facing or rejection?
The IRPA regulations refer to the persons holding the PR visa meeting all the conditions of the visa issuance as at time of landing...usually CBSA tend to focus on family changes/criminal convictions leading many landing to think they don't sweat the landing funds. For not having the landing funds you either get a pass, deferral or outright refusal. Why not hold onto that say bank draft etc until the currency rate is back in your favour? All depends on your appetite for risk.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But Sarah can bring the $14K required in her local currency (from her country). Just be careful to bring a bit more because of fluctuations on the exchange rate as CIC officer would make the maths according to the exchange rate of the day you land.

Cath06

Aug 7, 2015
Hi Sarah,

I have same concerns as you, just to check with you if have you landed in Canada and process your PR status? Can you share your experience with me? My questions like did you actually inform the immigration officer of your short stay and what happend next?
Also whether they ask you about your funds?

Thanks a million!

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Cath06 said:
Hi Sarah,

I have same concerns as you, just to check with you if have you landed in Canada and process your PR status? Can you share your experience with me? My questions like did you actually inform the immigration officer of your short stay and what happend next?
Also whether they ask you about your funds?

Thanks a million!
Dear Cath06
Yes I did; As regards your questions, here is my experience; I hope it'll help: I did take with me the required fund in US $ and was asked by both immigration and custom officers how much I had with me upon arrival at Toronto airport, obviously as I had the required amount with me, I can't tell what would have happened if I had had less than the prescribed sum (FYI, they didn't ask to see or count the actual money). As for duration of stay, no I didn't inform the officer of my intention for a short stay when asked, neither did I write the actual number of days I intended to stay on the declaration card I was given on the plane. Now I'm back to my home country after spending 10 days in Toronto and am waiting (and praying! ;)) for my PR card to be mailed to my friend's in time so he can DHL it to me, god willing!

Cath06

Aug 7, 2015
Sarah1791 said:
Dear Cath06
Yes I did; As regards your questions, here is my experience; I hope it'll help: I did take with me the required fund in US $ and was asked by both immigration and custom officers how much I had with me upon arrival at Toronto airport, obviously as I had the required amount with me, I can't tell what would have happened if I had had less than the prescribed sum (FYI, they didn't ask to see or count the actual money). As for duration of stay, no I didn't inform the officer of my intention for a short stay when asked, neither did I write the actual number of days I intended to stay on the declaration card I was given on the plane. Now I'm back to my home country after spending 10 days in Toronto and am waiting (and praying! ;)) for my PR card to be mailed to my friend's in time so he can DHL it to me, god willing!
Thanks Sarah for sharing your experience. At least we will know what to do upon arrival in Toronto.
Dont worry, you will definately get your PR cards. Good luck!

Kk2033

May 1, 2015
Sarah1791 said:
Dear Cath06
Hi Sarah,

Good luck for your PR card. I am also thinking of a short visit before making a permanent move in Canada. Could you please update us about your PR card once you receive it in your local country? Looking forward.

Thanks.

Sarah1791

Aug 4, 2014
Kk2033 said:
Hi Sarah,

Good luck for your PR card. I am also thinking of a short visit before making a permanent move in Canada. Could you please update us about your PR card once you receive it in your local country? Looking forward.

Thanks.
Sure, I will

Dsiraj

Star Member
Jul 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2014
Doc's Request.
Additional: 18-11-2014
Nomination.....
03-09-2014
Med's Request
24-01-2015
Med's Done....
29-01-2015
Interview........
Waived off
Passport Req..
04-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2015
LANDED..........
21-10-2015
Canada's entry requirements are changing

Starting March 15, 2016
, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada. Permanent residents who are citizens of visa-required countries will continue to need to show their PR card when boarding a flight to Canada.

If you are in Canada and do not currently have a permanent resident card, find out how to apply for a permanent resident card.

If you are outside Canada and do not have a PR card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident travel document.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=64&t=10