+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rule for short landing in Canada to get PR card and go back to Home country

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cinderella_322 said:
Hi guys. A newbie here. Need your help for some questions regarding short landing.
My husband, I and our son need to land to Toronto before Dec this year.
Understand that the PR card will be processed at PoE and I can use my godfather's address for the delivery of the permanent card. Here are my queries:
1. My son will be 1yr and 1month old by the time of landing, my godfather said we need to register him so ge could immediately get allowance from the government. Is this a long process?
2. Do we have to immediately apply for SIN card and Health Insurance right away? I read that health insurance takes 3 months to process. Are we going to face problems if we apply for this on a later date when we plan to settle to Canada for good? Our target date is on june2017.
3. Do we need to open a separate bank account for our son and for ourselves?
4. Finally, given those things that we need to do, is 1week stay enough for us? Because we can't stay for long as we are still working in our resident country.

Need seniors advice cause i am very confused.

Thanku in advance.
1. Regardless of what your godfather says, you are not eligible for any benefits from the government for your son until you settle in Canada. If you apply for them and then leave again for one more year while taking those benefits, it will be considered fraud.

2. You should apply for the SINs for you all because then it's done and it doesn't take long. Only one visit to Service Canada. You should not apply for health care because you are not living in Canada yet, you are not eligible. Again, that is considered fraud if you apply when you are not eligible. Once you are back to settle, get temporary insurance to cover you for 3 months and then apply within the 3 months to make sure you have it once you are eligible.

3. No. Once you settle in Canada, one of the parents apply for him. Usually the mother. His benefits are not for him to put in his savings account but for his parents to help care for him so it can go into the mothers account.

4. A 1 week stay should be fine.

May 12, 2016
Leon said:
1. Regardless of what your godfather says, you are not eligible for any benefits from the government for your son until you settle in Canada. If you apply for them and then leave again for one more year while taking those benefits, it will be considered fraud.

2. You should apply for the SINs for you all because then it's done and it doesn't take long. Only one visit to Service Canada. You should not apply for health care because you are not living in Canada yet, you are not eligible. Again, that is considered fraud if you apply when you are not eligible. Once you are back to settle, get temporary insurance to cover you for 3 months and then apply within the 3 months to make sure you have it once you are eligible.

3. No. Once you settle in Canada, one of the parents apply for him. Usually the mother. His benefits are not for him to put in his savings account but for his parents to help care for him so it can go into the mothers account.

4. A 1 week stay should be fine.

Great! It's clear now. Thanks a lot for enlightening me Leon! :)

vinodm06

Nov 3, 2015
Hi,

I have applied for an got my PPR via SINP. I am now waiting for the CoPR from my LVO. I have a couple of doubts that I would like cleared.

1. Since I am SINP, I have to land in Saskatchewan. However, I am not finding direct flights to an airport in the province. Most flights are via Toronto, Vancouver or Calgary. Since one of these cities will be my first PoE in Canada, I understand that my landing will occur there. I will have to show the IO the proof of onward flights to the province of nomination. Is this understanding Correct?

2. I am planning a short stay of 3 weeks in Canada initially. In this time it is unlikely that I will get my PR card. Besides, I will not have an address in Sask. to supply as I do not know anyone there as yet. I know people in Toronto, but many on the forum advise against providing an out of province address. Question: Can I inform the IO that I will provide an address later, and then provide an out of province address? Or should I invest in a mailbox service like UPS and have my mail forwarded to my current address?

3. In case I need to return to Canada befor I get my PR Card, will I be able to apply for a PR Travel Document from outside Canada? Or do I have to wait for my PR Card to reach me?

TIA
Hey just curios as to what you did on landing. I am also a SINP nominee going to canada next week my direct flight ends in toronto so my POE is toronto. Should I show onwards journey flight ticket? Did you give address in the province or one in toronto? Did you also carry all funds?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Hey just curios as to what you did on landing. I am also a SINP nominee going to canada next week my direct flight ends in toronto so my POE is toronto. Should I show onwards journey flight ticket? Did you give address in the province or one in toronto? Did you also carry all funds?
Further to my reply on the other post,

Onward bookings to SK are advisable. You may not be asked for them, but if an IO does inquire, then you should be ready.
I gave an address in SK for the delivery of my PR Cards. You may want to consider a UPS mailbox for delivering the PR Cards. This is an acceptable method. The PR cards will be delivered to your mailbox, and you can have them forwarded to you wherever you are. The only drawback is that you will have to keep the mailbox rented till the cards are delivered, and if you are asked to resubmit photos as many people have, then the process may be delayed. Alternatively, as I mentioned in the other reply, inform the IO that you will update the address later, and use the online or telephone option to update address.

See here for UPS options.

As for funds, you do not need to carry all the funds. Most probably you will not even be asked to show the funds, but be prepared to do so. You can carry your most recent statements to show that the funds are still available.

ihonchai

Jul 21, 2017
I am also doing a short landing in Canada and then I am going back to my home country for 1 month in two weeks. Upon landing, I provided my home address where they need 8-10 weeks to send me the PR card. I am aware that if I traveled abroad without PR card, I need to apply the PRTD.
It is clearly that I won't meet the RO of 730 days in Canada after being a NEW PR, can I use the H&C and add a letter of explanation that I am traveling back because I want to see my grandmother who is aging and sick and include my return flight ticket confirmation copy, some strong ties in Canada (i.e. mortgage, car insurance, bank statement, pay stubs, etc).

My question is the following:
1. What else shall I include in the PRTD application, so It can go smoothly and hope they will approved it?
2. Will there be a possibility that they reject my application? if a PRTD is rejected, will my PR status be in danger?
3. or Shall I Change my return ticket to later day and wait for my friend to received my PR card and send it to me for a safe option?
4. or Disregard above option and travelled to US near Canadian border and enter with my COPR?

Thank you and I appreciate your time in answering.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It is clearly that I won't meet the RO of 730 days in Canada after being a NEW PR, can I use the H&C and add a letter of explanation that I am traveling back because I want to see my grandmother who is aging and sick and include my return flight ticket confirmation copy, some strong ties in Canada (i.e. mortgage, car insurance, bank statement, pay stubs, etc).
You misunderstand the RO. For a new PR, as long as you have enough time to accumulate 730 days in your first 5 years, you are still in compliance with the RO.

Your PRTD will be granted without issue.

Reactions: ihonchai

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
Dear Cath06
Yes I did; As regards your questions, here is my experience; I hope it'll help: I did take with me the required fund in US $ and was asked by both immigration and custom officers how much I had with me upon arrival at Toronto airport, obviously as I had the required amount with me, I can't tell what would have happened if I had had less than the prescribed sum (FYI, they didn't ask to see or count the actual money). As for duration of stay, no I didn't inform the officer of my intention for a short stay when asked, neither did I write the actual number of days I intended to stay on the declaration card I was given on the plane. Now I'm back to my home country after spending 10 days in Toronto and am waiting (and praying! ;)) for my PR card to be mailed to my friend's in time so he can DHL it to me, god willing!
Hi Sarah/All,

I am in exactly the same situation as you were. We recently received Canada PR and have obligation to travel before May 2018. Currently, I have this opportunity to travel to London and work for 5 years on long term work permit (obviously I will not be able to work all the time since i have to stay at least 2 years in Canada out of 5 to maintain my PR). So we are planning to travel to UK for 2 years and then to travel to Canada from there. Another reason is that I am unable to find job in Canada while I am still not in the country. Recruiters are not showing any interest if the candidate is not in Canada. Hence I will take leave sometime next year and travel to Toronto for 2 weeks and get all mandatory formalities completed.

My question is this : during your 10 days stay, were you able to complete all the formalities such as applying for SIN, OIHP, Bank Account opening, driving license etc. ? I am planning to do same.. basically provide address of the guest house where I would be putting up and later ask the owner to send me the PR documents through courier. Will there be any issue in that ? Can you add something that I should take care while on a trip to Canada?

Thanks for your help and all the best!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Sarah/All,

I am in exactly the same situation as you were. We recently received Canada PR and have obligation to travel before May 2018. Currently, I have this opportunity to travel to London and work for 5 years on long term work permit (obviously I will not be able to work all the time since i have to stay at least 2 years in Canada out of 5 to maintain my PR). So we are planning to travel to UK for 2 years and then to travel to Canada from there. Another reason is that I am unable to find job in Canada while I am still not in the country. Recruiters are not showing any interest if the candidate is not in Canada. Hence I will take leave sometime next year and travel to Toronto for 2 weeks and get all mandatory formalities completed.

My question is this : during your 10 days stay, were you able to complete all the formalities such as applying for SIN, OIHP, Bank Account opening, driving license etc. ? I am planning to do same.. basically provide address of the guest house where I would be putting up and later ask the owner to send me the PR documents through courier. Will there be any issue in that ? Can you add something that I should take care while on a trip to Canada?

London in Canada? OHIP is not something you do in a short landing.

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
London in Canada? OHIP is not something you do in a short landing.
Many thanks for your quick reply !

Nope, I was talking about London, UK. Its onsite opportunity from my current company. I am not very keen on that but since I don't have offer in hand from any Canadian based employer, I was planning to take this UK onsite. Can you pls suggest what all the mandatory things we have to do when we land in Canada for short term (to maintain mandatory requirements). Cheers!

paplubp

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
Calgary AB
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
06-APR-17
AOR Received.
11-MAY-17
Passport Req..
01-OCT-17
VISA ISSUED...
24-OCT-17
the landing process has changed drastically. i remember i was with a friend in border and we had to wait like 2 hrs or more where there was 2 more people in waiting. I landed 28oct17 the process have been very easy. just take the passport with the document cic sent you thats it. dont stress about taking anything else. i took the pr application form and photo which is NOT required. it took me 5 min max in waiting and I was done through the process. it was a Saturday late afternoon, they lady didn't felt like congratulating me. well who cares.

Note: must have all expired document to surrender at the POE

vivekmareddy

Mar 5, 2015
hyd
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
06-04-2017
AOR Received.
09-05-2017
the landing process has changed drastically. i remember i was with a friend in border and we had to wait like 2 hrs or more where there was 2 more people in waiting. I landed 28oct17 the process have been very easy. just take the passport with the document cic sent you thats it. dont stress about taking anything else. i took the pr application form and photo which is NOT required. it took me 5 min max in waiting and I was done through the process. it was a Saturday late afternoon, they lady didn't felt like congratulating me. well who cares.

Note: must have all expired document to surrender at the POE
Congratulations and good luck for your career in canada.

vivekmareddy

Mar 5, 2015
hyd
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
06-04-2017
AOR Received.
09-05-2017
Hi Sarah/All,

congratulations dsr and good luck for ur career and a new life in canada. do share your experience

dsr

Jul 9, 2016
London, UK
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-11-2016
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2017
Just for your information, I have been reached out by Cognizant and Capgemini to appear for interview online (Skype) for their Toronto offices. So once you have PR and you are in IT, you should get job even before landing to Canada