+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Return/landing thru Niagra Falls, A few questions:

manu_pena

Jun 27, 2011
Hello, I'm a permanent resident who was able to retain my status on HnC grounds after an absence of 19 years. I'm currently in New York visiting my family and will be crossing into Canada thru Niagara Falls:

-what would be the best border to cross ( I understand there's several)?

-My family wants to drive me up to Niagara Falls , is there any car rental or greyhound station that would take me to London ON, once at Niagara?

-Do to my long absence and the fact that I don't have a last known address, etc. Will I have some sort a problem?

-I'm returning with limited funds, Is there any agency or government assistance that would help with housing, finding a job etc..? Just some kind of relief until settled.

I have a travel document. And was advised by my immigration officer to ask for a copy of my record of landing in order to find a job quickly. Basically guys I need all the help/advice/steps to follow in order to make this transition go as smoothly as possible. All the information I've been able to find in regards to assistance for newcomers is directed for refugees or protected person ( I'm not sure if that's the correct denomination) and not much for permanent resident's in my particular situation.

Thank you

farahqa

Apr 21, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus - Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2010
AOR Received.
March 2011
File Transfer...
March 2011
manu_pena said:
Hello, I'm a permanent resident who was able to retain my status on HnC grounds after an absence of 19 years. I'm currently in New York visiting my family and will be crossing into Canada thru Niagara Falls:

-what would be the best border to cross ( I understand there's several)?

-My family wants to drive me up to Niagara Falls , is there any car rental or greyhound station that would take me to London ON, once at Niagara?

-Do to my long absence and the fact that I don't have a last known address, etc. Will I have some sort a problem?

-I'm returning with limited funds, Is there any agency or government assistance that would help with housing, finding a job etc..? Just some kind of relief until settled.

I have a travel document. And was advised by my immigration officer to ask for a copy of my record of landing in order to find a job quickly. Basically guys I need all the help/advice/steps to follow in order to make this transition go as smoothly as possible. All the information I've been able to find in regards to assistance for newcomers is directed for refugees or protected person ( I'm not sure if that's the correct denomination) and not much for permanent resident's in my particular situation.

Thank you
You should consult an immigration consultant.
Good luck!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looking at greyhound.ca for example for the coming Monday, there are 7 busses leaving from Niagara Falls going to London, ON. They take anywhere from 4.5 hours and almost 9 hours depending on how many other cities they visit.

They cost between $40 and 56 depending on if you have already bought online or not.

I don't think you have a problem just because you don't have a last known address. Do you have anybody you are planning to stay with? Could you give an address of relatives for the time being if they ask?

You could apply for welfare but I do not know how long it takes. I do not think they will give you any help instantly and even if, the amount is too low to survive on. You are probably better off grabbing the first job that comes along, especially restaurant or fast food where you can get free meals. That way you will not have to worry about going hungry.

I do not know of any agency that will help you find a job. The key is read ads, apply, apply, apply. Also go in and apply at places that aren't even advertising. Get a cheap pre-paid cell phone so they can call you back. But first make sure you have a SIN number so you can work. If you never had a SIN number, you can go to Service Canada and apply for one. If you did have one 19 years ago, you might still want to go to Service Canada and ask if it is still active. I have heard that they deactivate them after a number of years.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
The YMCA or employment centres have workshops that help people acquire skills(e.g. writing a resume, cover letter, etc) important in the job search process. Yon can also search:
www.jobbank.gc.ca
www.careerbeacon.ca
www.careerbuilder.ca

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Manu-

Here is a link that you can check out. London has a lot of resources available to newcomers! All the best!

http://immigration.london.ca/getting-settled/settlement-services.htm