+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Resident without the rest of the family

wissamd

Sep 14, 2009
I became a PR in June 2009 along with my family .
In August 2010 I will move to Canada , buy my own house , and start my own business .
However my wife & kids won't move in with me . My wife has a good job back home and she is not ready to quit yet , Naturally the kids will stay with her . They will visit often and I will visit them too but we will live in seperate countries for atleast 3 yrs .

My question is that after I spend 3 yrs in Canada and be eligible to getting Citizenship will I be asked why I am applying alone without the rest of the family ? Do we have to apply togather or we can do it seperatly ? Can I become Citizen before they do ?

Finally if I understand well the law my minor kids will be eligible for Citizenship as soon as I become Canadian even if they didnt stay the required time in Canada .

Pls advise

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

wissamd said:
I became a PR in June 2009 along with my family .
In August 2010 I will move to Canada , buy my own house , and start my own business .
However my wife & kids won't move in with me . My wife has a good job back home and she is not ready to quit yet , Naturally the kids will stay with her . They will visit often and I will visit them too but we will live in seperate countries for atleast 3 yrs .

My question is that after I spend 3 yrs in Canada and be eligible to getting Citizenship will I be asked why I am applying alone without the rest of the family ? Do we have to apply togather or we can do it seperatly ? Can I become Citizen before they do ?

Finally if I understand well the law my minor kids will be eligible for Citizenship as soon as I become Canadian even if they didnt stay the required time in Canada .

Pls advise
1. You can apply separately, there shouldn't be any questions.
2. The kids and spouse will probably have lost their PR status before you become a citizen, so they and their mother would have to be sponsored.
3. The kids (under 18) don't have to have 3 years residency for citizenship, when a parent applies, but they do have to be in Canada and have valid PR status.

PMM