+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Renewal question

abbytronix

Star Member
Sep 3, 2015
So I am in a bit of a dilemma here, hoping some members could help.

- So I have been leaving in Canada since 2016, got my PR in June 2019 and have established solid base here and making it my primary residence. Last year I had to travel overseas and was stuck outside Canada for 8 months due to travel bans and the flights which were available were extremely expensive which we couldn’t afford. So finally was able to arrive back in Oct 2021. Now I have an an opportunity overseas which I am thinking of to give a try for at least a year. So let’s say I take the job and come back in March 2023 will I face any issues during my PR Renewal in July 2024?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

- So I got my PR in June 2019 and have been leaving in Canada since then establishing solid base here and making it my primary residence. Last year I had to travel overseas and was stuck outside Canada for 8 months due to travel bans and the flights which were available were extremely expensive which we couldn’t afford. So finally was able to arrive back in Oct 2021. Now I have an an opportunity overseas which I am thinking of to give a try for at least a year. So let’s say I take the job and come back in March 2023 will I face any issues during my PR Renewal in July 2024?
You need to physically live in Canada for 2 out of every rolling 5 years to meet the residency obligation. As long as you meet the residency requirement, you'll have no issues renewing your PR card. The 8 months you spent outside of Canada last year will be counted as time outside of Canada and cannot be counted towards the residency requirement.

Reactions: abbytronix

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
You can spend 3 years (cumulatively) outside of Canada between June 2019 and June 2024. You already spent 8 months outside of Canada. Thus, you can spend no more than 28 months outside of Canada until June 2024.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

- So I have been leaving in Canada since 2016, got my PR in June 2019 and have established solid base here and making it my primary residence. Last year I had to travel overseas and was stuck outside Canada for 8 months due to travel bans and the flights which were available were extremely expensive which we couldn’t afford. So finally was able to arrive back in Oct 2021. Now I have an an opportunity overseas which I am thinking of to give a try for at least a year. So let’s say I take the job and come back in March 2023 will I face any issues during my PR Renewal in July 2024?
Have you spent any other time outside Canada other than the 8 months? How long is the contract abroad? Is the employer happy with one year? Will they pay for your relocation expenses for a year? If you didn’t hav3 the funds to return to Canada do you have the funds to move?

abbytronix

Star Member
Sep 3, 2015
You need to physically live in Canada for 2 out of every rolling 5 years to meet the residency obligation. As long as you meet the residency requirement, you'll have no issues renewing your PR card. The 8 months you spent outside of Canada last year will be counted as time outside of Canada and cannot be counted towards the residency requirement.
thanks. Will keep that in mind.

abbytronix

Star Member
Sep 3, 2015
Have you spent any other time outside Canada other than the 8 months? How long is the contract abroad? Is the employer happy with one year? Will they pay for your relocation expenses for a year? If you didn’t hav3 the funds to return to Canada do you have the funds to move?
Have you spent any other time outside Canada other than the 8 months?
- No
How long is the contract abroad?
- it is for 1 year
Is the employer happy with one year?
- that’s what the current offer is
Will they pay for your relocation expenses for a year?
- Yes, all inclusive
If you didn’t hav3 the funds to return to Canada do you have the funds to move?
- they will arrange for return tickets the day my contract ends or the day I resign. Whichever comes first

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020

Please note that if you will be absent from Canada for extended period of time, your PR card renewal will be non-routine. This means that they will approve (if RO is good) it and send to a local office for pickup in person. When exactly they email you to pick it up, nobody knows. Could be in a couple of months, could be in a year…

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please note that if you will be absent from Canada for extended period of time, your PR card renewal will be non-routine. This means that they will approve (if RO is good) it and send to a local office for pickup in person. When exactly they email you to pick it up, nobody knows. Could be in a couple of months, could be in a year…
If you’ve already returned for a good amount of time then you can have regular processing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
really personal choice. Pretty common for these placements to be extended so you’ll need to consider if the employer wants to extend what will you do.