+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligations 2017-2018

shahid_razzak

Apr 20, 2017
Dear Members,

I understand that this subject has been debated many times in this kind forum. I have gone through the posts and have summarized them to the best of my understanding in the following scenario. It would be great to get expert opinions on this summary.

Assumed events and assumed dates:
Landing Date
14-Feb-14

PR Issuance Date
04-Apr-14

PR Expiry Date
04-Apr-19

Scenario

The RO (Residency Obligation) for PRs is 2 years out of 5 years. This means that between your landing date and PR expiry date i.e. Feb 2014 and Apr 2019, you must have spent at least 730 days in Canada. If you left Canada and then move back in Apr 2018, you only have 1 year to go until your 5 years are up so you are missing about 1 whole year i.e. 12 months i.e. 365 days in order to meet the RO. If the immigration officer reports you for being in breach of the RO you may lose your PR.

However if you are able to enter Canada without being reported, you would need to stay in Canada for 2 years straight in order to meet the RO and you should not try to renew your PR card until you have already spent 2 years mandatory requirement.

In order to meet the RO for your PR, you need to return to Canada no later than Feb 2017 and not have spent 3 or more years outside Canada.

As for citizenship, it is 3 years out of 5 years. Your PR card is independent of the citizenship process. If you do not have citizenship by the time your PR card is due to expire, you will simply apply to renew your PR card (taking into account the above mentioned RO requirements).

SUMMARY:
· Be inside Canada 730 (2 years) days out of 1,825 days (5 years).
· If not the case, do not apply for PR renewal.
· Must not be out of Canada 1,095 (3 years) days out of 1,825 days (5 years).
· 730 days count starts from LANDING DATE.
· Citizenship requirement is 3 (1,095 days) years out of 5 years (1,825 days).
· Citizenship and PR are independent.
· If citizenship is not granted before expiry of PR, renew the PR (taking care of above points).

Thanking you all in advance for your kind feedback and opinions.

Best Regards,
Shahid

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear Members,

I understand that this subject has been debated many times in this kind forum. I have gone through the posts and have summarized them to the best of my understanding in the following scenario. It would be great to get expert opinions on this summary.

Assumed events and assumed dates:
Landing Date
14-Feb-14

PR Issuance Date
04-Apr-14

PR Expiry Date
04-Apr-19

Scenario

The RO (Residency Obligation) for PRs is 2 years out of 5 years. This means that between your landing date and PR expiry date i.e. Feb 2014 and Apr 2019, you must have spent at least 730 days in Canada. If you left Canada and then move back in Apr 2018, you only have 1 year to go until your 5 years are up so you are missing about 1 whole year i.e. 12 months i.e. 365 days in order to meet the RO. If the immigration officer reports you for being in breach of the RO you may lose your PR.

However if you are able to enter Canada without being reported, you would need to stay in Canada for 2 years straight in order to meet the RO and you should not try to renew your PR card until you have already spent 2 years mandatory requirement.

In order to meet the RO for your PR, you need to return to Canada no later than Feb 2017 and not have spent 3 or more years outside Canada.

As for citizenship, it is 4 years out of 6 years. Your PR card is independent of the citizenship process. If you do not have citizenship by the time your PR card is due to expire, you will simply apply to renew your PR card (taking into account the above mentioned RO requirements).

SUMMARY:
· Be inside Canada 730 (2 years) days out of 1,825 days (5 years).
· If not the case, do not apply for PR renewal.
· Must not be out of Canada 1,095 (3 years) days out of 1,825 days (5 years).
· 730 days count starts from LANDING DATE.
· Citizenship requirement is 4 (1,460 days) years out of 6 years (2,190 days).
· Citizenship and PR are independent.
· If citizenship is not granted before expiry of PR, renew the PR (taking care of above points).

Thanking you all in advance for your kind feedback and opinions.

Best Regards,
Shahid
Citizenship is not 4 out of 6 years. It's 3 out of 5.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

Reactions: cool_eagle