+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation appeal

syschka

Mar 5, 2014
Hello,
I became a pr in 2008 and traveled in and out of Canada for the past 5 years due to family and work requirements.
I tried to move back in Canada in 2013 to settle and was reported at the border post.
The officer issued a section 44 report which I appealed.
I was however able to renew my pr card for one year.
I am now waiting for notice on my hearing and my appeal.

I have come to Canada at least once every single year since i became a pr, and looked for work without success.
I am now living and working in Canada and will be starting a 5yr graduate programme in September.

I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of what I can do to win my appeal.
Do I need a lawyer? why?
What are my chances of winning?
What can I do between now and the moment I am called for my hearing?

My main reason for staying away was financial /family as i needed to work and earn enough money to visit and support my family back home and could not get a job in Canada to support myself and my family.
thanks in advance!

pecimob

Star Member
Aug 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How did you get your pr renewed? You may need a lawyer in case they rule that you do not meet residency requirements...

Pecimob

syschka

Mar 5, 2014
pecimob said:
How did you get your pr renewed? You may need a lawyer in case they rule that you do not meet residency requirements...

Pecimob
the officer who wrote the section 44 told me that i could apply once i filed the appeal and would be granted a one year card until final determination is made on my appeal.
so i applied and noted in my application that i had a section 44 appeal case ongoing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The reasons you have listed (i.e. financial reasons) are typically not accepted as reasons for failing to meet the residency obligation. So based on that, your chances of succeeding are likely on the lower side. However it's impossible for any of us to say for sure. Good luck.