+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

residency count

pandaharo

Jul 19, 2014
Hi guys,

My parents just landed and they would like to know if my mother stays in Canada all the time, but my father goes to the States for a year, does the one year count towards residency when later

- he applys to renew his pr card?
- he apply to become a citizen?

Thank you all :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - this year won't count towards his PR card renewal. It would only count if your mother was a Canadian citizen AND she was accompanying your father outside of Canada.

No - it certainly won't count towards citizenship.

pandaharo

Jul 19, 2014
thank you scylla.

but I'm confused, because I've heart many times that as long as one person of a couple (both pr) stays in Canada, the other will always be able to keep his/her prship.

Now you're telling me that this is not the truth -- are you sure about that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pandaharo said:
thank you scylla.

but I'm confused, because I've heart many times that as long as one person of a couple (both pr) stays in Canada, the other will always be able to keep his/her prship.

Yes - I'm sure the time your father spends outside of Canada won't be counted towards PR or citizenship.

Having said that, if your father loses his PR status for failing to meet the PR residency requirement, your mother can always sponsor him for PR again using the spousal sponsorship process.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pandaharo said:
thank you scylla.

I am sure about that too. There are limited ways you can keep your PR while living outside Canada.

1) You are married to a Canadian citizen and they are living outside Canada with you.
2) You as a PR get a job working for a Canadian employer and this employer transfers you to a full time position outside Canada.
3) You are the spouse or minor child of PR who qualifies under 2) and you are living with them outside Canada.

As none of these conditions apply to your father, he can only stay outside Canada up to 3 years (1094 days) in any 5 year period. Otherwise he risks losing his PR. However, if he loses his PR, as long as your mother is living in Canada and meets the RO (residency obligation) herself, she can sponsor him back.

As for citizenship, time outside Canada does not count for citizenship except with one exception and that is when you are a PR living outside Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse who is posted outside Canada working for the govt. or armed forces.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pandaharo said:
thank you scylla.

If this was the case several hundred thousand PRs would be residing outside Canada for years. You've heard wrong. Meeting the RO when absent from Canada is an exemption granted to PRs accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse or parent (PR child) abroad or accompanying a PR working in a prescribed range of activities such as the Canadian Military and Diplomatic Service. When not sure about any exemptions then the only sure, guaranteed, undoubted and bona fide way to meet the RO is to live in Canada