+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR card and oath ceremony

Hopeful One

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. We received your application for a permanent resident card on April 10, 2015.
2. We started processing your application on June 16, 2015.
3. Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on June 16, 2015. Your Permanent resident card will be mailed to you or if quality assurance is required, made available for you to pick up at a CIC office.

In the meantime got invite for oath ceremony for August 6th and still haven't received new PR card. Will this matter if I give them my old PR card at oath ceremony and let them know I am still waiting for the new one to arrive? I sent a request to get my card quicker with the above reason, however haven't heard back from them.

andrew7007

Jun 2, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you should receive your renewed PR card before then for sure. 200 %. If not take a screenshot copy of your PR renewal status and your old PR card. All should be fine.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If the PR card was actually put into the mailing queue before CIC's internal GCMS reflected the decision to grant citizenship, it should indeed be on its way and should easily arrive before the oath ceremony.

But there is a substantial likelihood your new PR card was not actually mailed and now will not be. And you will need to present and surrender the old card at the oath ceremony. Odds are the respective CIC personnel know the status of the PR card application and the citizenship application, and there is at least a significant chance that CIC has stopped the process for sending the PR card pending the oath. This is not for sure, depending some on just when the respective decisions were made and entered into GCMS . . . but, for example, prior to actually sending out the oath ceremony notice, a CIC official was required to run another GCMS check on you, and probably (although not certainly) noticed the PR card application status, and probably (though again not for sure) made an appropriate referral to the part of CIC handling that, precluding sending the PR card.

Thing is, the June 15 action does not really inform you that the PR card will be mailed, only that it is on track for that to happen. The current timeline for renewal/replacement PR cards suggests it is too early to expect the PR card. So, odds are good (but no where near certain) you have been, in essence, sent the oath notice rather than the PR card.

Obviously, if you have not in fact received the new PR card prior to the oath, surrender the old card at the ceremony.

If per chance you are mailed the new PR card and it arrives after the oath, be sure to somehow surrender it to CIC. Technically just destroying it might suffice, but I would not take chances with this and would be sure it was delivered to CIC.

leeneljane

Star Member
May 23, 2010
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 1, 2009
Med's Done....
June 12, 2010 follow up sent Aug. 21, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 3, sent oct. 7
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 19, 2010
LANDED..........
Dec. 28, 2010
My in-laws renew their PR card while their Citizenship application are on process. After becoming a Citizen CIC refund then their PR application fee.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Relax if you receive renew PR card take that card with you and if not than take the
expire card and get the oath and become Canadian.

Any way congratulation.

Hopeful One

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes Neutral the PR card has expired...

Thank you for the information everyone!

odysseus

Oct 6, 2015
Hello all, i seem to be in a similar situation. My renewed PR card has still not been delivered, and I am to attend oath ceremony soon. any suggestions? any experience that can be shared? thanks

skhan123

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Hi guys
I am in the similar boat (waiting for oath though). How you check the status of your PR card renewal online? when i select PR card renewal option and put all credentials, it gives me the citizenship status not the PR card one. Is there any different site to check the PR card renewal status?

rdgs

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I'm digging up this old thread since it applies to my wife's situation:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/cancelling-a-pr-card-renewal-application-if-citizenship-is-granted-first.577821/#post-7350034

The card has been mailed out but given the Canada Post strikes, it is very unlikely to arrive before the oath ceremony. Hence she will bring her existing card and surrender that. We will ask what to do with her new card that is on its way.

Just wondering if others on this old thread have any updates (in case they still check this forum)