+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refusal of TRV application for my Fiancee

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Experts,

I'm a permanent resident based in Toronto now from the past two years.

I'm writing this as I seek help with regards to my finacee's tourist visa application. She received a refusal letter for the application submitted last week from India on the grounds of "you have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:

Purpose of Visit.

Apart from this there was no other box checked.

My application was submitted on the grounds of a campus tour to explore various study options (in journalism profession) in Ontario, Canada. We researched and selected the best colleges in Toronto and Niagara for the journalism program. Though I feel that I made a strong case for her application and included all the supporting documents like her employment letters, payslips, employment holiday approval letter, bank statements, term deposits, correspondence from the colleges in Toronto and Niagara, my invitation letter and paystubs, I DIDN'T INCLUDE RETURN AIRTICKETS. Could this be a possible reason for rejection?

Also consider this - her passport was freshly issued with no travel history.

I now need to reapply at the earliest. How much time should I ideally wait before I re-apply. If anyone would please provide me with some insights, I would be highly grateful.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
It’s not the lack of air tickets—even paid air tickets mean nothing.

It’s very clearly stated: her purpose of visit.

It’s the fact she intends to study in Canada.

She ought to apply for a study permit outside Canada to do it properly. While it’s technically allowed to apply for a study permit inside Canada, it’s discouraged to avoid complications that may lead to overstays. The application was correctly refused, IMO.

Reactions: Bryanna

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi bellaluna,

Many thanks for the revert. So the basic grounds of the application was to explore the possibility of a future study (Fall 2019) in Ontario, Canada through a campus tour visit. For a campus visit tour, a TRV is required.

Once she selects the college, she comes back to her home country and starts with all the legwork necessary for starting the student application process for her program that will begin in Fall 2019.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding or interpretation.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi bellaluna,

Many thanks for the revert. So the basic grounds of the application was to explore the possibility of a future study (Fall 2019) in Ontario, Canada through a campus tour visit. For a campus visit tour, a TRV is required.

Once she selects the college, she comes back to her home country and starts with all the legwork necessary for starting the student application process for her program that will begin in Fall 2019.

Did you mention that she is your fiancée?

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No..I didn't @Bryanna.

Can I please request you to share my application file with you for a quick review? You can guide me so that I make a reconsideration request with CIC.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
She has stated in her application that the purpose of travel was to search for universities, on a Tourist Visa. This looks like she she wants to study here, so it was silly to say that. Therefore, they now know she wants to study (but come here on a tourist visa), that's why it was rejected.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi bellaluna,

Yeah, but that's not the way visa officers think--they will always consider the worst case scenario that the applicant will want to stay in Canada permanently. Slippery slope, yes. Unfair, possibly, but that's how it works.

The visa officer can rebut that your fiancee can look up virtual campus tours online, as thousands of prospective international students do. That's why the officer thinks the purpose of visit is weak.

Reactions: Buletruck and south

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yes, take for instance, me for an example. I wanted to study in Newfoundland, so I researched all campuses and all programs that interested me. Looking around the websites, VIRTUAL TOURS, talked to faculty from the colleges. It is a very easy thing to do, without actually going.

Reactions: bellaluna

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, but that's not the way visa officers think--they will always consider the worst case scenario that the applicant will want to stay in Canada permanently. Slippery slope, yes. Unfair, possibly, but that's how it works.

The visa officer can rebut that your fiancee can look up virtual campus tours online, as thousands of prospective international students do. That's why the officer thinks the purpose of visit is weak.
Thanks@bellaluna.

Now what I should do in this case? Should I change my narrative as a tourist (to visit friend) and reapply? Will that be accepted by the visa officer?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks@bellaluna.

Now what I should do in this case? Should I change my narrative as a tourist (to visit friend) and reapply? Will that be accepted by the visa officer?
You can certainly try that, but the visa officer will find the campus visit purpose from the previous rejection in her record. I can’t guarantee it will change the application; that depends on the new visa officer’s interpretation. If you ask me, I would jump straight to getting admissions and the study permits. International students need to apply earlier for admission anyway. I’m surprised it’s not yet too late for Fall 2019.

Reactions: niravk

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@bellaluna, I completely second your thought. If I apply immediately for a tourist visa now, it will change the narrative and the visa officer may reject the application again. I need to make a strong reason for the narrative change.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
@bellaluna, I completely second your thought. If I apply immediately for a tourist visa now, it will change the narrative and the visa officer may reject the application again. I need to make a strong reason for the narrative change.
Glad you're able to see that perspective. It'll take time and a lot of research to explore your options together, but it will work out if you guys work hard.

niravk

Jul 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@bellaluna many thanks for your motivating words.

Is there any timeline after refusal within which I need to submit my reconsideration application?

Many thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate your time and efforts.