+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee

peaceseeker

Apr 25, 2020
Hello Dears,
I am a refugee claimant whose claim has been rejected before IRB. Now I am waiting the decision from Refugee Appeal Division. My passport from my home country has expired. What should I do if I win the DV lottery in cases my refugee claim get accepted or denied. Do I really have to go back to my home country to process the DV application? Thank you in advance for any reply to my post.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Dears,
I am a refugee claimant whose claim has been rejected before IRB. Now I am waiting the decision from Refugee Appeal Division. My passport from my home country has expired. What should I do if I win the DV lottery in cases my refugee claim get accepted or denied. Do I really have to go back to my home country to process the DV application? Thank you in advance for any reply to my post.
I would recommend you ask this question on a US immigration forum. Canada will not return your passport unless you leave Canada. If you need a valid passport for the DV lottery process and your embassy will not issue a new one to you while you are out of status in Canada, then you would have to leave and return home.

peaceseeker

Apr 25, 2020
I would recommend you ask this question on a US immigration forum. Canada will not return your passport unless you leave Canada. If you need a valid passport for the DV lottery process and your embassy will not issue a new one to you while you are out of status in Canada, then you would have to leave and return home.
Thanks scylla.

kri19631

Aug 6, 2018
Hello Friends,
What is the process to get back my family passports held with CBSA ( Canada)?. I applied for Refugee protection and my claim has been approved for PR
Thank you

Vips1410

Star Member
Mar 8, 2021
Hello Friends,
What is the process to get back my family passports held with CBSA ( Canada)?. I applied for Refugee protection and my claim has been approved for PR
Thank you
You can’t fly to your home country till you become citizen.

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Not worrying about home country. If I have to travel another countries what will be the scenario?
You CANNOT travel to another country with your home country passport. If you do, it will be treated as reavailment and the protection will cease. It is better to apply for a refugee travel document. With the RTD you can travel to any other country apart from your country of birth. See below link.
https://irb.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Not worrying about home country. If I have to travel another countries what will be the scenario?
When one applies for refugee in a country in effect you are saying to Canada my country CANNOT protect me . When you are flying on your countries passport , you are flying under that countries protection , flag .
You can’t have it both ways . Asking Canada for protection and when you’re traveling, using the countries passport you’re seeking protection from .
Doesn’t work like that