+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Travel Document - Questions and Answers

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
So you have already applied for asylum? They normally provide some leaflets with information.
No not yet,im just searching and collecting info i need,thats why i asked questions,which lawyer is better to use?my own lawyer or goverment free lawyer?and how long does the process take?does someone have any idea?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No not yet,im just searching and collecting info i need,thats why i asked questions,which lawyer is better to use?my own lawyer or goverment free lawyer?and how long does the process take?does someone have any idea?
You should really apply as soon as possible after entering Canada. Did you arrive as a visitor? If you have enough funds you will not qualify for legal aid (free lawyer). As previously mentioned the process may take close to 2 years. Nobody knows because there has been a huge number of asylum claimants in the past 2 years that have overwhelmed the system.

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
You should really apply as soon as possible after entering Canada. Did you arrive as a visitor? If you have enough funds you will not qualify for legal aid (free lawyer). As previously mentioned the process may take close to 2 years. Nobody knows because there has been a huge number of asylum claimants in the past 2 years that have overwhelmed the system.
I arrived at may24th and will apply for asylum at end of july,2monthes after enterence day will apply,and enter as a visitor,i took about15000$,what do u suggest?about timing and the lawyer?

Lovely-Canada

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018
Unfortunately you don't qualify for a Travel Document. You will only qualify after you have had your hearing and your claim has been accepted. Traveling outside of Canada isn't possible for you at this time unfortunately.
Thank you @scylla

Can I request to process my application on priority as traveling is mandatory for business?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

hamasi

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
Yes it could be up to 2 years. If you are in Canada what is your status and how long have you been here?
Another question is,during this period(maybe2years or more)do i have work permit,and can i get travel document?my brother living in usa i want to see hem.
Thank u and regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Another question is,during this period(maybe2years or more)do i have work permit,and can i get travel document?my brother living in usa i want to see hem.
Thank u and regards
You can get a work permit. You won't qualify for a travel document until you've had your hearing and your claim has been accepted. So it's possible it may be 2 years before you can travel.

Reactions: hamasi

BAH35sha

Jun 23, 2018
I recently had a very confusing experience with travelling to France. I have RTD and PR, I went to the France embassy website and it says all visa enquiries are now directed to VFS global, a third party organization. I emailed them to see if I need a visa and all they said was you can use visa wizard on the website to see if you need a visa instead of giving a clear answer. I started the application for visa on the France-visas.gouv.fr and when I want to choose the type of my travel document it does not have the RTD option. The options are: Diplomatic passport, Temporary passport, Regular Passport and Special passport. I called the helpline and after asking the same question over and over again in 3 separate calls they suggested that I write my country of origin under the travel document issuing country (which is Canada, but seems like we need to write the country of origin there!) Anyways, I was very suspicious throughout the whole process and I'm just going to wait for my citizenship and travel to France like that. Just wanted to know if anybody had the experience of travelling to France with their Refugee Travel Document and PR before? Did anybody apply for a visa?

tehtaimuriirl

Sep 24, 2014
Have anyone recently applied for turkish visa and got stamped on RTD ??
how long they take to process the application???
has anyone recently traveller as well???