+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refugee claimants need advice

olaide yusuf

Jan 4, 2016
a refugee claimant here in canada and have been given date for hearing. stay @ shelter and went to alberta works for welfare assistance and was told they can only assist after my hearing. is it true? how to survive till then.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Have you applied for a work permit? I believe you must be holding (or have applied for) a work permit to potentially be eligible for Alberta Works.

Dhudson

Star Member
May 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
00-00-2011
Med's Request
00-00-2015
Passport Req..
00-00-2015
LANDED..........
25-08-2015
You may email and explain your situation straight to Press Secretary, Office of the Premier of Alberta : Cheryl Oates : email: cheryl.oates@gov.ab.ca. In your case it could help... (touch this office but be highly respect in your advice - The Hon. Premier of Albert Rachel Notley .....)

obib

Star Member
Dec 3, 2011
...that's strange from shelter as a Refugee you be entitle to some assistance until you applied for work permit and start working then you can go off welfare.Dhudson advice is your best bet then

CanDude76

Feb 2, 2016
Dear olaide yusuf,
I can share the experience of Ontario. they give the assistance before the hearing and there is an initial interview to establish the eligibility for assistance.
if you qualify they give you the assistance.
try and approach them as you are not entitled to work so they should assist you.
regards

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
olaide yusuf said:
a refugee claimant here in canada and have been given date for hearing. stay @ shelter and went to alberta works for welfare assistance and was told they can only assist after my hearing. is it true? how to survive till then.
Refugee claimants are eligible to apply for income support in Alberta.
read this link: http://humanservices.alberta.ca/AWonline/IS/4831.html

go again... this time you may most probably meet someone else (who knows the policies better than the previous guy you met..:))
Do tell them that you are in the process of applying for a work permit. (this will demonstrate your wiliness to work and make you eligible for the income support).
2ndly A Work Permit is available (free of charge) for people awaiting a decision by the Immigration and Refugee Board and you can apply easily online using alberta works computers (ask them to help you send your work permit application online if you do not have a computer).

hope it helps