+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee/Asylum Claimants 2023 Timeline

Morale

Apr 6, 2023
If you are someone who has claimed asylum in Canada after 1st January 2023, please share your timeline and the office of immigration processing your claim to help each other learn what is going on, thank you!!

I filed for asylum in late January, Montreal. Since then I haven’t received any update from the immigration. (Any advise?)

Morale

Apr 6, 2023
Submitted BOC February 26th
AOC/Medicals Requested March 6th
Medicals Passed March 31st
(Documents Seizure)Interview Call In April 6th (Appointment will be on April 20th)

Etobicoke
Wow that was fairly quick, much luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are someone who has claimed asylum in Canada after 1st January 2023, please share your timeline and the office of immigration processing your claim to help each other learn what is going on, thank you!!

I filed for asylum in late January, Montreal. Since then I haven’t received any update from the immigration. (Any advise?)
There is a huge variability in processing times. Can take 6 months to 2.5+ years to get a hearing.

Reactions: PrinceIsaac254

Enose

Apr 27, 2023
Submitted BOC February 26th
AOC/Medicals Requested March 6th
Medicals Passed March 31st
(Documents Seizure)Interview Call In April 6th (Appointment will be on April 20th)

Etobicoke
Is there any difference (advantage/disadvantage) between the two options in making asylum claim in Canada: making a claim at airport of entry with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) compared to the inland (online via IRCC portal) option, as of 2023?

Bryanpaz

Star Member
Mar 3, 2023
Is there any difference (advantage/disadvantage) between the two options in making asylum claim in Canada: making a claim at airport of entry with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) compared to the inland (online via IRCC portal) option, as of 2023?
in processing times there’s no difference between one and another, sometimes it just depends on the officer that has your case

Enose

Apr 27, 2023
in processing times there’s no difference between one and another, sometimes it just depends on the officer that has your case
Thank you, apart from timeline for hearing or decision, is there any other difference, for example in getting Refugee Protection Claimant Document or AOC ? if not, then the Online (after already in Canada)would be a better option, thank you.

sky9600

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
There is a huge variability in processing times. Can take 6 months to 2.5+ years to get a hearing.
Agreed, I've seen people who got their hearing date and status in between different timelines starting from 6 months to 1.5 years. Does it vary on cases' complexity? How do the cases move basically, I mean depending what?

Reactions: Feven k

yakuza93

May 26, 2023

Applied Sep 22, 2022
Medical done: Oct 5, 2022
Background check: Feb 21, 2023
First interview: June 12, 2023
Referral decision: June 16, 2023
WP: June 28, 2023

I know people who got their hearing in the same timeline I waited to get a WP so yes, it's a case-to-case process

Good luck guys!

OBNelson

Mar 23, 2021

BOC submitted: 20th March 2023
Medicals: April 1st
Medicals updated: April 16th
Biometrics and notice of seizure: May 8
Work permit issued on: june 20th
Eligibility interview/AOC/Confirmation of referral: July 8
Current Status of application: you will be provided with a decision shortly

Etobicoke

good luck to us guys

Reactions: SinDarella41

zeefox

May 9, 2023
Application Sept 2022
Medical October
Hearing May 2023 and then postponed due to strike. Received email that decision may end made without hearing.
Background check: Pending.

How do you see if background check is approved? Mine was paper based. How long it usually take?

Unionville

Jul 13, 2023
There were a few mistakes in my BOC, one of them is about my company name which is I worked before in my country. Another one is my home address which is I living now. Can I correct them in my first interview? Do you know something like this issues? Thanks in advance!