+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recent Graduate Jobs in Canada for US citizens

KCinCanada

Jul 26, 2010
Hello everyone -

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a recent graduate looking to move to Canada. My boyfriend has a degree in International Business and a minor in Marketing and is looking for work in Canada (specifically the GTA). He has been working as a marketing manager for a small company in the US for a little over a year now and is having difficulties finding a company who will hire outside of Canada.

Any help would be appreciated.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Please read the forum discussion by Media and understand the difficulties faced by many trying to find employment in canada, especially those without canadian degrees and canadian work experience. U will also need Canadian PR status at least to be able to seek employment in Canada.

Resumeshop

Dec 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should not get discouraged! Anything worth doing is worth working for. I would say that it much easier for Americans to come to work in Canada than it is for other nationalities. For one thing, Americans are familiar with the way in which people market themselves in North America. Resume formats are also basically the same in both countries as are the typical procedures for looking for job and job interview etiquette.

If he has a bachelor's degree and at least one year of experience, it would be worth looking into immigrating as a skilled worker. Start by reading CIC's website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree, there are a lot of similiarities for US, UK and even Australian new immigrants, if you have the required documentation, follow the processes for applying for positions, it will come. As many people mentioned, it takes determination and patience. Some people will be fortunate and find something very quickly, while others will take a few months to find the right position.

Keep in mind the average timeline for any Canadian job searcher is 2-3 months to find your targetted position.

http://careego.com/CareerResources/ImmigrationJobSearch/JobSearchStrategies/tabid/325/language/en-CA/Default.aspx#

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
This has also been my experience. 2-3 months is realistic. It's important to be positive during your job search as there will be ups and downs before you get the job you really want.