+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received old RQ in 2015 - Help!

dk_yvr

Apr 3, 2015
Hoping someone can help me out! I was issued an older version of the RQ last month (CIT 0171 (09-2012) E residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/cit_0171e_09_2012-e.pdf (Sorry doesn't let me hyperlink)

2005 - Came to Canada on a student visa
2008 - Landed as a Permanent Resident
Applied for citizenship in Dec 2014 (Hence, my relevant period for my citizenship application is Dec 2010 to Dec 2014)

All the questions in this version of the RQ ask for information since my "arrival date in Canada" Its stated on the top of the form that your "Arrival Date" is the earlier of:
- 'the date on which you first came to Canada to live' or
- 'the date you became a Permanent Resident'.
The officer has also filled out the dates of my relevant period (Dec 2010-De2014) but this seems to apply only to the supporting documents.

Should I be answering all questions 'since my arrival date' ten years ago in 2005? Or should I be sticking to my 4 year relevant period. Really confused since I have satisfied the 1095 days of physical presence. Wondering if they are intentionally issuing this older RQ or if it was issued by mistake. All the new versions of the RQ are only concerned with the relevant period.

Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
dk_yvr said:
Hoping someone can help me out! I was issued an older version of the RQ last month (CIT 0171 (09-2012) E residencequestionnaire.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/cit_0171e_09_2012-e.pdf (Sorry doesn't let me hyperlink)

Applied for citizenship in Dec 2014 (Hence, my relevant period for my citizenship application is Dec 2010 to Dec 2014)

All the questions in this version of the RQ ask for information since my "arrival date in Canada" Its stated on the top of the form that your "Arrival Date" is the earlier of:
The officer has also filled out the dates of my relevant period (Dec 2010-De2014) but this seems to apply only to the supporting documents.

Should I be answering all questions 'since my arrival date' ten years ago in 2005? Or should I be sticking to my 4 year relevant period. Really confused since I have satisfied the 1095 days of physical presence. Wondering if they are intentionally issuing this older RQ or if it was issued by mistake. All the new versions of the RQ are only concerned with the relevant period.

please contact the call centre at 1-888-242-2100 for details. They can guide you the best.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dk_yvr said:

Though it says from arrival. Your application considers only the last 4 years. I suggest you collect evidence for the last four years from the date of your application. They dont need info on when you landed first. For you its 2005 and for any applicant it could be 20 years before.
The rule stipulates to provide proof for the four year period in question. The forms may not be up to date but the rule still holds good. You can confirm the same with call center.

sam_1985

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
dk_yvr said:

Any clue as to why was the RQ issued? How come u didn't apply for citizenship three years after 2008 (when u became PR), I.e 2011? It seems strange to issue an RQ since u came as a student and have been here since 2005 I'm assuming? Would appreciate some input...

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's hard to know why RQs are issued and asking recipients can be a little frustrating. Often we are just as in the dark as everyone else. (I too was an international student and later a work visa holder, later a PR, now a citizen. I got an RQ and waited 32 months for processing).

Regarding why the old one was issued, it's hard to say. It may be a mistake, or it may have been a choice on the part of the officer. You are unlikely to get a good answer from the call center. Or, if you call many times, you may get many different good answers, but there is no guarantee of accuracy.

You may want to order you ATIP and see what you can find out from that. You may also want to contact your MP and see if they can enquire with CIC.

Focus on the 4 years definitely, but consider including the other info as well. (just listed, not documents). If you want to talk to a lawyer they may be able to advise you as well.

Another strategy would be to reply with only the info from the 4 years and include a cover letter stating that you are doing so under the assumption that the other information is irrelevant and may have been requested in error. Add that you will (happily) respond with all information, dating from your first arrival in Canada, upon CIC's explicit request (phone, email, letter) and confirmation that that such information is required.

Good luck.

dk_yvr

Apr 3, 2015
Thanks a lot for your input everyone! I spoke to the call centre today and they did mention that it would be best to just focus on my 4 year period and attach a cover letter explaining my arrival date, landing date etc.

In terms of why I received an RQ - I did leave Canada for a brief period of time in 2009/10. I also travel quite frequently. Used to live in the Middle East as well so I guess I meet quite a few of their triggers. Still frustrating though.

amazing21

Star Member
Sep 30, 2014
wow all i can say is you'll now be waiting forever ..SORRY. but maybe RQs nowadays are being processed faster

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
amazing21 said:
wow all i can say is you'll now be waiting forever ..SORRY. but maybe RQs nowadays are being processed faster
Not necessarily. My husband received the RQ last year and it only took around 5 weeks to receive the oath letter from the time CIC received his RQ package.

ItkExpert

Sep 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Not necessarily. My husband received the RQ last year and it only took around 5 weeks to receive the oath letter from the time CIC received his RQ package.
Wow that's unheard of . Canada must REALY want your husband as a citizen.

moti

Oct 24, 2012
I would suggest , fill up the form from 2008, first time landed as a permanent resident. provide supporting documents from 2010 to 2014.That's what I did.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ItkExpert said:
Wow that's unheard of . Canada must REALY want your husband as a citizen.
It's not unheard of. I've seen several cases on this forum where RQs were processed very quickly last year or this year.

I think the office processing the application likely makes some different - as well as the type of evidence you can provide. I think one of the pieces of evidence that really helped my husband is that he uses his credit card for literally all of his purchases (even those that are only a few dollars). So we had years of credit card statements that showed he made purchses in Toronto on almost a daily basis (often more than one purchase a day). And the period where he was absent from Canada were very obvious because the charges would suddenly stop and then start up again. We also had all of the airline tickets to match his entries and exits. We created a spreadsheet for CIC where we showed every single day he was claiming under the residency requirement - and then indicated what kind of evidence we were including to prove he was in Canada on that specific that day. Because of his credit card use - we had evidence for almost every day. I honestly think they took one look at his credit card statements went ahead and approved him.

ItkExpert

Sep 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
It's not unheard of. I've seen several cases on this forum where RQs were processed very quickly last year or this year.

I think the office processing the application likely makes some different - as well as the type of evidence you can provide. I think one of the pieces of evidence that really helped my husband is that he uses his credit card for literally all of his purchases (even those that are only a few dollars). So we had years of credit card statements that showed he made purchses in Toronto on almost a daily basis (often more than one purchase a day). And the period where he was absent from Canada were very obvious because the charges would suddenly stop and then start up again. We also had all of the airline tickets to match his entries and exits. We created a spreadsheet for CIC where we showed every single day he was claiming under the residency requirement - and then indicated what kind of evidence we were including to prove he was in Canada on that specific that day. Because of his credit card use - we had evidence for almost every day. I honestly think they took one look at his credit card statements went ahead and approved him.
Trust me I had also sent credit card and bank statements showing almost daily transaction for the residency period. I have also sent them t4s and notice of assessment showing them full time employment salary. And much more evidence. And..... 1.5 years have passed and haven't heard nothing back.