+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received my PRTD, how can I be treated as a citizen?

aaront

Jan 5, 2014
I recently got my PRTD woohooo!!! :D :D Well not actually a PRTD but a Visa for a Permanent Resident that allows me to return to Canada even though my PR Card is expired.
It was on the basis of me being a minor and that I wish to return to Canada asap now that the decision is mine.

My only question is, how can I be treated as a Canadian citizen with an expired PR? In regards to tuition fees at University, health insurance, work, government financial aid etc...? What papers/documents must I provide to be treated as a Canadian citizen? I've lost my Social Insurance Number Card but I have a copy of it so I know the number but I don't physically have the card, is it possible I can get a new one?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You wouldn't be treated as a citizen but as a PR. Even though you don't meet the residency obligation, you could apply to renew your PR card based on that you were granted a travel document. Until you get a new PR card, with your expired card and your travel document, you should have enough proof that you are a PR.

You can go to Service Canada and ask about your SIN. Because it hasn't been used in years, it has probably be made dormant but you can get it reactivated.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
You don't have to be a citizen to be entitled to the things you mentioned. As a PR, you are treated the same as citizens when it comes to tuition fees, health care, social benefits, and non-government related work rights (you cannot become a Canadian spy, for example, or serve in the Canadian army, or work for Service Canada). About social insurance number, they are phasing out physical cards, and no longer issue them. As Leon suggested, you should go to Service Canada to get them to 're-activate' your number, since you've been out for more than five years.

aaront

Jan 5, 2014
Can I use my expired PR and Landing Papers? Cause the TD they gave me isn't really a TD it's a visa for Permanent Residents that allow them to go to Canada.
I will still be able to get health insurance and work right? Do I need to re-activate my SIN or can I leave it dormant? Will re-activating it shed any light on the fact I was not in Canada for the period necessary, will it cause any issues?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aaront said:
Can I use my expired PR and Landing Papers? Cause the TD they gave me isn't really a TD it's a visa for Permanent Residents that allow them to go to Canada.
I will still be able to get health insurance and work right? Do I need to re-activate my SIN or can I leave it dormant? Will re-activating it shed any light on the fact I was not in Canada for the period necessary, will it cause any issues?
You can use your expired PR and landing papers. You can still get health insurance and work. In order to work, you need a SIN and therefore, you need to re-activate it. You don't have to worry about not meeting the residency requirements. By giving you a travel document, immigration has already accepted your reasons so you have nothing to worry about.

aaront

Jan 5, 2014
Can I still apply for financial aid?
If so in which province must I do it? Like when I left Canada I was considered a Quebec citizen, but since I'm moving to Ontario, I want to move my immigration papers and file to Ontario, how can I do so? and in which province must I apply for financial aid?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can settle in any province you like. You will study there and apply for financial aid there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
aaront said:
Can I still apply for financial aid?
If so in which province must I do it? Like when I left Canada I was considered a Quebec citizen, but since I'm moving to Ontario, I want to move my immigration papers and file to Ontario, how can I do so? and in which province must I apply for financial aid?
Many provinces have a residency requirement that you have to meet before you can receive financial aid for your studies. Ontario's financial aid program is called OSAP and you can read about the requirements here:

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?k=POSTSEC_FIN&faq_id=4001161