Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am just curious as to the reasons applications get rejected. We are getting ready to be married within the next year and will be applying shortly thereafter. We've been together since 2010 and I know our relationship is geniune but I am still concerned about being rejected. Here are my concerns...

1. She is 9 years older than me
2. Her soon-to-be-ex-husband has not made divorce easy so it may appear like our relationship is more of an affair which it isn't
3. Her family is not supportive
4. Most of our 2010-2012 proof was destroyed when her house burnt down in late 2012
5. I am divorced as well

Can a application with strong familial support from my side really over come the issues above? Please share your challenges and experiences that have resulted in successful applications or that hated rejection letter. I just want to have a better idea if we can overcome these obstacles. Thanks!

~pseudowolf

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey,

CIC will reject an application for criminal grounds, or if the relationship appears not genuine. But you will be given the chance of explaining yourself with an interview before getting a rejection letter. So... don't worry too much about it!
I take it that you are a US/Can couple?

1 - it doesn't matter. 9 years is not really considered a bit age gap, especially for a US/Can couple where culturally it isn't an issue.
2 - you've been together since 2010, even if she wasn't divorced - but as long as she was not living with you AND her ex-husband, that's not an issue. Once you are married, you can apply, and you can try and get proofs from 2010 to prove your history.
3 - again : for a US/Can couple, not really an issue, there are plenty of couples with similar stories here.
4 - unusual for sure! but try and see if you can get other proofs - emails, letters from people that know you, pictures from outing with others, bank statements if applicable etc.
5 - again : for US/Can couple, not an issue, it's a fairly common thing.

Get support letters from your side of the family, and from friends. Include an explanation about her family not being supportive, hence the lack of letters from their side, and possibly the fact that they won't attend the wedding. Address any possible "red flag" up-front in the application, and explain why it isn't an issue in your case. Be honest and offer explanation so you won't be asked for more! Explain the fire thing. You don't need to explain (in my opinion) the 9 years difference, I'm pretty sure it's not an issue (I have the same difference with my partner, and my PR was approved).

with 3 years together, and applying as married, I don't see reasons to worry about being rejected. Just explain the relationship, the development of it. If there are kids involved in either side, make sure that you show that the kids are aware of the relationship and part of the picture.

So - it's definitely feasible! just start gathering proofs, read on the forum for ideas, and soon you'll see that you probably have more proofs than you thought initially.

If you have specific questions - don't hesitate to ask, there are plenty of US/Can couples around here that will give you sound advice - and support if needed!
Good luck,
Sweden

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks so much! That is a load off my mind! Nine year might not seem a big deal but when it is the woman who is older it isn't exactly conventional! And the issue with the lost proof, she can provide documentation regarding the loss and the IO can watch the house burn on Youtube if they really question the legitimacy of the loss. Anyway, we will keep our fingers crossed that her husband lets her out of the marriage sooner rather than later so we can get this ball rolling. Thanks again!!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Third reason for rejection: Danger to public health. Being from the USA, you probably don't have those issues. If you've had your TB boosters, even less likely. (TB is one of the big ones.) You'll still have to get the chest x-ray & CIC doesn't care to see your shots record, but it's fairly easy.

Btw, if you can, do your medicals in Canada. Much cheaper than the US!

Nitzan900

Star Member
Sep 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
tel-aviv
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2012
AOR Received.
02-08-2012
File Transfer...
02-08-2012
Med's Done....
13-03-2012
Interview........
18-11-2012
Passport Req..
28-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-05-2013
LANDED..........
12-05-2013
Sweden said:
I have no life? :) given the tone of your comments, the likelihood of you having one seems quite low - so good luck with whatever you have! I'm quite happy with mine at the moment and wouldn't exchange it with anybody else!
Enjoy your day!
Sweden
Sweden you one of the most helpful people on this forum and you just recently started your life in Canada and i wish you all the best! ignore this low life he is just a nobody behind a computer screen at home that spend his time with rude comments because this is all he have.

anyways keep helping out you been most helpful for me that's for sure!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
pseudowolf said:
I am just curious as to the reasons applications get rejected. We are getting ready to be married within the next year and will be applying shortly thereafter. We've been together since 2010 and I know our relationship is geniune but I am still concerned about being rejected. Here are my concerns...

2. Her soon-to-be-ex-husband has not made divorce easy so it may appear like our relationship is more of an affair which it isn't
4. Most of our 2010-2012 proof was destroyed when her house burnt down in late 2012
5. I am divorced as well

Can a application with strong familial support from my side really over come the issues above? Please share your challenges and experiences that have resulted in successful applications or that hated rejection letter. I just want to have a better idea if we can overcome these obstacles.
You are an American-Canadian couple, right? If so, you should be accepted. A nine-year age difference would be a problem in India, for example, but not really in a Western country. You are both divorced, so this is not an issue. Lots of families are not supportive - the applicant just has to explain this, and show the support they do have. Explain why you are missing some evidence, with proof her house burned down.

P90X

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-04-2013
AOR Received.
25-04-2013 - 22-05-2013 Havana
File Transfer...
02-05-2013
Med's Done....
15-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-08-2013
LANDED..........
05-09-2013

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
One person being divorced previously and the other in a first marriage, is a 'red flag' in certain cultures, for example India and Pakistan. In Western countries it is not an issue. The visa officer looks for compatibility, and if there are a lot of differences that is not good. Differing marital histories is one potential difference. Again, though, unless in Cuba it would be considered very strange for a single person to marry a divorcee, it should not be a problem.

However, if there is an interview, be prepared for questions about your partner's past relationships. Your wife is the one being sponsored, so she would be the one being interviewed. She should know the basic details about any serious relationships of yours. She should also be prepared to explain about how you were dating while she was still technically married. It should not be a problem as long as she is prepared to talk about these things and can explain clearly.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
pseudowolf said:

5. I am divorced as well

Can a application with strong familial support from my side really over come the issues above? Please share your challenges and experiences that have resulted in successful applications or that hated rejection letter. I just want to have a better idea if we can overcome these obstacles. Thanks!

~pseudowolf
I would think the fact that her ex is not making things easy works in your favour.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only issue is they are not in court, nothing is filed b/c they are trying to settle everything outside first between the two of them with no lawyers so she has been living out of the home since May 2011 and with proof but doesn't want to file before custody and division are completed amicably between them to avoid a lengthy and expensive court battle. i hope, once explained, this will make sense and be valid to the IO. he is having a hard time accepting and letting her go thus drawing out the process and she feels like she's hurt him enough already and is trying to be understanding and gentle. I hope this doesn't backfire. Thanks for all the comments and support tho!

~pseudowolf

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I don't think it will backfire... what is important to the VO is that she is in an exclusive relationship. The fact that she was still married when you met and started a relationship would be an issue if she was still living with him and the separation was not clear... but as long as the physical separation was clear, and you have proofs of your relationship with her, and proofs that you are a couple where they are not anymore, then it should be OK.
Good luck!
Sweden

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well that makes me feel better! Thanks so much! This forum is so helpful and eases my anxiety! You guys are awesome!!!

~pseudowolf