+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re: Oath Taking Ceremony Venue

captainivan

Jul 6, 2017
Good morning. I'm about to call the CIC call centre hotline in a few hours regarding my inquiry. For now, I don't mind getting some answers from people who probably knows the answer to my inquiry.

My name is Ivan and I applied for a Canadian citizenship last February and is now scheduled to have my oath taking ceremony in a few weeks.

My sister applied last March and is now also scheduled to have her cerermony, which happens to be a day before mine (20th and 21st).

I'm aware that there are limited slots in every ceremony and most likely the answer to my question is rescheduling of the actual date, my question is, is it actually possible to change the citizenship ceremony venue or date, without costing neither me nor my sister few more months of waiting?

Well basically since we are siblings, our parents prefer to have our ceremony on the same date. Our scheduled oath takings are a day apart (20th and 21st).

Thank you.

Last edited:

Siar

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
According to my reading on this forum, when it comes to rescheduling with CIC, that is always a bad idea... My opinion is to take oath on the date CIC proposed unless you really can not for whatever reason.

captainivan

Jul 6, 2017
According to my reading on this forum, when it comes to rescheduling with CIC, that is always a bad idea... My opinion is to take oath on the date CIC proposed unless you really can not for whatever reason.
Thank you. That's what I thought as well. I was just hoping that there are cases that changing of dates (like moving a day or two) had already happened before.

I personally don't want to make this thing complicated and we will just follow what CIC has appointed us, in fact my family is very excited about this upcoming event. Would have been better though if me and my sister will be on the same venue/time/date. As our parents are both very busy with their jobs but they will still find a away to attend both ceremonies.

Well I don't blame CIC as me and my sister applied as individuals. In fact our parents have yet to apply, I believe they will pass their applications soon.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can reschedule - but you can't request specific dates. So if you rescheduled - you and your sister may still end up with oaths on different dates since you applied separately. Also, it does typically take a few months for the oath to be rescheduled. I agree with the above advice. I would leave things as they are.

captainivan

Jul 6, 2017
You can reschedule - but you can't request specific dates. So if you rescheduled - you and your sister may still end up with oaths on different dates since you applied separately. Also, it does typically take a few months for the oath to be rescheduled. I agree with the above advice. I would leave things as they are.
Thank you. We'll just go with our assigned dates then.

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
Don't reschedule. I met someone at my oath ceremony that had rescheduled and waited 4 months for a new date.
Congratulations and stay cool! :cool:

captainivan

Jul 6, 2017
Don't reschedule. I met someone at my oath ceremony that had rescheduled and waited 4 months for a new date.
Congratulations and stay cool! :cool:
Thank you. I have a question regarding the Landing paper.

Well, instead of passing a photo copy of my IMM 1000 during my application for the Canadian Citizenship, I unintentionally passed the original copy of my Landing paper.

Is it going to be a big deal come the ceremony next week if I show up without the original Landing paper since CIC has it in the first place? And is PR card and the notice of invitation sufficient enough during the registration on the oath day?