+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-applying for PR after losing it because of unmet obligations

pixeldim

Apr 6, 2010
Guys I have a very imortant question

I applied for PR in 1997 and got rejection in 2001 due to insufficient experience and education. During that period I gained more exposure and got my degree. Unfortunatley I lost my immigration application and all documents including my diploma and experience certificates. Unfortunately the companies I worked with are not existing in the market anymore.

Now I want to reapply as I recently got an offer from a Canadian employer. How do I communicate this to CIC how I lost my documents and only have ome of the latst documents in hand. Can I request a copy of file from CIC?

Kindly advise.

fmz

Aug 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/05/2014
Doc's Request.
Waiting......
AOR Received.
Waiting......
IELTS Request
Send with Application
File Transfer...
11/09/2014
Med's Request
Waiting......
Med's Done....
Waiting......
Interview........
Waiting......
Passport Req..
Waiting......
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting......
LANDED..........
Waiting......
Hi guyz,

Im have an enquiry regarding keeping our PR valid.We became landed immigrant on 25 august 2015,lived in Toronto for a month and came back to our country of origin.Later on during Feb 2016 we moved back for period of 4 month in Toronto for the purpose of our baby delivery.
Now we've been living in our country of origin since June 2016 till present date.i would like to know will my days count towards my PR NOT residency requiements since im accompanying a Canadian citizen

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
fmz said:
Hi guyz,

Im have an enquiry regarding keeping our PR valid.We became landed immigrant on 25 august 2015,lived in Toronto for a month and came back to our country of origin.Later on during Feb 2016 we moved back for period of 4 month in Toronto for the purpose of our baby delivery.
Now we've been living in our country of origin since June 2016 till present date.i would like to know will my days count towards my PR NOT residency requiements since im accompanying a Canadian citizen
I'm guessing you never informed OHIP that you left Canada and the birth was covered by OHIP? If so, you committed healthcare fraud.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
fmz said:
Hi guyz,

If you are asking whether having a child who is a Canadian citizen living with a parent abroad will get the parent credit toward the PR Residency Obligation, the answer is NO.

A child PR living with a Canadian citizen parent abroad gets credit toward the PR RO.

A PR living abroad with a Canadian citizen spouse gets credit toward the PR RO.

Those are the only two accompanying a citizen allowances toward the PR RO.

fmz

Aug 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/05/2014
Doc's Request.
Waiting......
AOR Received.
Waiting......
IELTS Request
Send with Application
File Transfer...
11/09/2014
Med's Request
Waiting......
Med's Done....
Waiting......
Interview........
Waiting......
Passport Req..
Waiting......
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting......
LANDED..........
Waiting......
Thanks guys,this cleared a lot of issues i wasnt aware of.

duMaurier

Apr 19, 2015
Canada USA border don't stamp your passport but it is swiped electronically and it goes on their system when, how many times, etc. You been through the border. Its the e-Passport system. So they do have record.

gary94066

Apr 5, 2017
I immigrated to Canada in the 1995 but lived there for only 6 months. I haven't set foot in Canada for almost 20 years. The only papers I still keep with me are the landing paper and social insurance card. I never got a PR card and I believe there were no such thing at that time. I am now thinking about moving to Canada for good. I can enter Canada because I have a US passport. I want to know if I enter Canada by car with my US passport, stay for 2 years without leaving the country, then is it possible to apply for a Canadian PR card. Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gary94066 said:
I immigrated to Canada in the 1995 but lived there for only 6 months. I haven't set foot in Canada for almost 20 years. The only papers I still keep with me are the landing paper and social insurance card. I never got a PR card and I believe there were no such thing at that time. I am now thinking about moving to Canada for good. I can enter Canada because I have a US passport. I want to know if I enter Canada by car with my US passport, stay for 2 years without leaving the country, then is it possible to apply for a Canadian PR card. Thanks
Yes - you can certainly try. If you are able to enter without being reported, then you can remain in Canada for two years straight and then apply for a PR card once you meet the residency obligation. Of course there is some chance you may be reported at the border for failing to meet RO. If that happens, you'll have to appear at a hearing and should expect to officially lose your PR status (and be ordered to leave Canada). But again, entirely possible you'll be able to get in without being reported.

tg-gill

Apr 6, 2017
Hi,

I need help to re-apply for PR after losing it because of unmet residency obligation.

This is about my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law and father-in-law came to Canada as PR in 2005. Mother-in-law went back to India due to after 1 year due to some family issues. She could not come back to Canada due to her health conditions. My father-in-law staying in Canada and he visited India few times to meet her and other family members.
Our most of the family members got PR and most of the family is in Canada now. We applied for her Travel Document in 2015 but it was denied due to unmet residency obligation. My father-in-law is having very low health conditions now and we all want them to stay together in these last years. She got visitor visa in December 2016 and she is here now. But as she is also having delicate health conditions it is not possible for her to travel back and forth.

Is there any way we can re-apply for her PR status and she can live with all of us permanently. It will be a great help if you can share your thoughts

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The best and fastest way would be for her husband to sponsor her for PR again. She should stop travelling and stay in Canada for now. She can apply to extend her visitor visa before it expires. He does not have to show a specific amount of income to sponsor a spouse and neither does she have to meet any medical requirements if being sponsored as a spouse.

However, if he dies during the processing time of the application, the application is gone and you would have to sponsor her as a parent which is much harder, takes much longer and she can be refused PR if her health is not good.

Therefore, you should not lose any time and have your father-in-law start sponsorship of her right now.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Alabaman said:
I have argued this several times on this forum and I still maintain that what they know is only as good as what you tell them and the stamps on your passport.
Well that's demonstrably wrong: https://www.thestar.com/news/privacy-blog/2015/03/what-your-canada-border-services-agency-file-looks-like.html

tg-gill

Apr 6, 2017
Thank you, Leon. It helped me understanding the scenario. I have a quick question.

My Mother-in-law has got multiple entry visitor VISA. She is here since 18 December 2016 and in May it will be 6 months now. Can we apply for her extension now?

Can we apply online for my father-in-law to process sponsor PR to my mother-in-law

I am sorry for this late reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
tg-gill said:
Thank you, Leon. It helped me understanding the scenario. I have a quick question.

My Mother-in-law has got multiple entry visitor VISA. She is here since 18 December 2016 and in May it will be 6 months now. Can we apply for her extension now?

Can we apply online for my father-in-law to process sponsor PR to my mother-in-law

I am sorry for this late reply.
Yes, you can apply for her extension now. I suggest they pay the PR fees and include the receipt in the extension app to show they are applying for sponsorship.

No, they can't apply online. It is a paper app.

YTL

Jun 21, 2017
My family and I immigrated to Canada back in 2009. We landed, received the PR cards, spent a month in Toronto, but then we had to come back to our country of origin. Unfortunately, in all these years we did not have the chance to come back to Canada except for short trips. So we didn't meet the residency requirements and I guess we now have to surrender our (former) PR status and reapply if we want to try again and immigrate to Canada. Is that correct, or is there any way to use an "expired" PR status to enter the country again?

navneet1983

Star Member
Jul 21, 2011
My family and I immigrated to Canada back in 2009. We landed, received the PR cards, spent a month in Toronto, but then we had to come back to our country of origin. Unfortunately, in all these years we did not have the chance to come back to Canada except for short trips. So we didn't meet the residency requirements and I guess we now have to surrender our (former) PR status and reapply if we want to try again and immigrate to Canada. Is that correct, or is there any way to use an "expired" PR status to enter the country again?
Hi.. can you please update what did you end up doing.. Do they hold it against you if you had to renounce your PR due to unmet residency obligation?