+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 45th Draw

Tango123

May 13, 2016
astralsource said:
I wish I was a Syrian refugee.
Living in an unstable refugee camp unsure of the future and how many family members survived is better than your current situation right now?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mukulabd said:
150-200 points for job offer sounds reasonable. Anything more than that is more favorable towards job holders with weak human capital. eg. if someone has weak core human capital, say 300 points and gets 250 points for job offer, then that person still stands above others with strong CRS, but lets say that person gets only 150 points for job, then he/she has a total of 450 CRS points and competes with others with good core human capital candidates.

My opinion is that CRS point system should be competitive. Allotting 600 points straight for job offer doesn't make sense. Otherwise just have a different PR category and quota for candidates with job offers.
300 points is not really weak human capital. You can be around that with 6+ years of work experience in managerial position and 4 years university degree, just when you are not youngest and your language test is not that shiny and when your spouse is not giving you many points (like missing reference letter from work and troubles to get sound documents for ECA assessment).
Please be aware that 100 points are given for your age (something that you cannot influence) and additional up to 100 points is given for combination with perfect language skills (which is sometimes result of repeating testing according to one specific standard rather than reflecting your ability to use the language in the real life easily).

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vensak said:
Unless there will be max. 200 points for LMIA, it will have not much effect.
I agree. CIC are considering changing the number of points awarded for LMIA to solve the problem that there are too many people getting through with offers to work as cooks or supervisors at places such as McDonalds (16% of all immigrants last year). Now, whilst we do need fast food supervisors, it can't come at the expense of people who are young, highly educated and have perfect English who can't immigrate due to the catch-22 of not being able to get a visa without a job offer and not being able to get a job offer without having a visa.

This is why I think it's likely that the number of CRS points allocated for LMIA/Job offer will drop to around 100-150, otherwise as has been pointed out by numerous people (including myself previously) people with 300+ CRS (a very easy target to reach - if you qualify for FSW you more than likely will have 300 CRS) would still automatically get an ITA if they got 200+ CRS for job offer. CIC aren't going to make the change if it isn't going to have any effect on who receives an ITA.

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
Tango123 said:
Living in an unstable refugee camp unsure of the future and how many family members survived is better than your current situation right now?
Exactly.

dell2

Feb 3, 2011
Calgary, Alberta.
thourb said:
I agree. CIC are considering changing the number of points awarded for LMIA to solve the problem that there are too many people getting through with offers to work as cooks or supervisors at places such as McDonalds (16% of all immigrants last year). Now, whilst we do need fast food supervisors, it can't come at the expense of people who are young, highly educated and have perfect English who can't immigrate due to the catch-22 of not being able to get a visa without a job offer and not being able to get a job offer without having a visa.

This is why I think it's likely that the number of CRS points allocated for LMIA/Job offer will drop to around 100-150, otherwise as has been pointed out by numerous people (including myself previously) people with 300+ CRS (a very easy target to reach - if you qualify for FSW you more than likely will have 300 CRS) would still automatically get an ITA if they got 200+ CRS for job offer. CIC aren't going to make the change if it isn't going to have any effect on who receives an ITA.
Yes, I've heard it'll be around 150-200 points for LMIA.

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
thourb said:

OMG. THIS IS UNREAL. 16%??? Fast food industry?? The most man corrupting poisonous system of them all. And employing people from the other side of the world because they are willing to work for less money just so they can come to CANADA? Such a fair world indeed. And we with college degrees.. nor we can find work at MacDonalds because we are 100% overqualified, nor we can find any decent job online and get points. Just sit back and relax. Yeah.

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vensak said:
300 points is not really weak human capital. You can be around that with 6+ years of work experience in managerial position and 4 years university degree, just when you are not youngest and your language test is not that shiny and when your spouse is not giving you many points (like missing reference letter from work and troubles to get sound documents for ECA assessment).
Please be aware that 100 points are given for your age (something that you cannot influence) and additional up to 100 points is given for combination with perfect language skills (which is sometimes result of repeating testing according to one specific standard rather than reflecting your ability to use the language in the real life easily).
It is a deliberate decision on the part of the Canadian government to offer a proportionately high number of points to those who are young. People under 30 are going to contribute to the Canadian economy for longer, pay more taxes, generally be healthier and will be less reliant on state aid. Older people will contribute for a shorter period of time and are more likely to experience health issues and become a burden to the state. Of course, I'm generalising here and Canada needs a mix of both youth and experience, but if their justification for increased immigration is focused on economic grounds they are going to want to have more younger immigrants as collectively they will be more beneficial to the economy in the long term than older applicants.

In relation to official language proficiency, I don't have access to all of the statistics that CIC do, but I'd be willing to bet that those with higher language scores - on average - have a better chance of getting a job and integrating into the community than those with "a language test that is not that shiny". Of course, due to the fact that CIC are working with a finite target of around 300,000 immigrants per year, any change in the immigration system which benefits one group is going to disadvantage another. It's all a question of finding the right mix of people. Clearly 600 points for LMIA is having an adverse effect on people with very high human capital and is far too skewed in the direction of those fortunate enough to secure a job offer. Likewise, having anything more than 200 points would likely have little net effect on who is nominated, due to the fact that most people who are eligible for FSW have a score of 300+.

I'm personally of the view that a score of 100-150 "bonus" CRS points for LMIA is a good target for CIC to work with. For those with CRS around 300 it makes them competitive (and they will have further chances to increase their CRS by getting better language results) and those with around 350-400 points it will near guarantee them an ITA.

thourb

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dell2 said:
Yes, I've heard it'll be around 150-200 points for LMIA.
Personally I still think that 200 CRS for an LMIA is too high. Take these two examples and decide who you think that the better person is to better the Canadian economy in the long term:

Applicant 1: Single, Age 28, Education: One year college program, Language: CLB7 in all areas, Foreign Work Experience: 3 years. LMIA to work at McDonalds. CRS=306 (plus bonus points for LMIA)
Applicant 2: Single, Age 28, Education: PhD, Language: CLB10 in all areas, Foreign Work Experience: 3 years. No LMIA. CRS=496

Whilst this is an extreme example, as the PhD holder in the current system would likely get an ITA anyway due to having a human capital score of 900+, how is it justifible that Applicant 1 "leapfrogs" him and gets an ITA first? That would be the exact case if you gave Appliant 1 an additional 200 CRS points for his LMIA (506 vs 496). The absolute best possible human capital score you can get without Canadian work experience is still trumped by someone with 306 CRS and an LMIA.

In the same situation where Applicant 1 got only 150 CRS for his LMIA, he would become competitive but would not be guaranteed an ITA as he is now.

Sluffy

May 11, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-11-2016
thourb said:
I'm personally of the view that a score of 100-150 "bonus" CRS points for LMIA is a good target for CIC to work with. For those with CRS around 300 it makes them competitive (and they will have further chances to increase their CRS by getting better language results) and those with around 350-400 points it will near guarantee them an ITA.
Agree
We here are arguing who's going to contribute more to Canada - international student or foreign graduate, but it's not what really how we are competing now.
We are competing with those with low human capital and LMIA.

aniket2789

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Pune , India
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Passport Req..
17-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2017
LANDED..........
19-07-2017
DelPiero07 said:
I'm calling it, score won't go below 482 in the next draw.
I do Agree with this. As many people are waiting on 482 since June I think.
By the way is there any chance of a draw tomorrow , as it has happened on one or two occasions previously ,draws in consecutive weeks.In that case I feel It can be 480 or 481. lets hope the score comes down fast.

mukulabd

Oct 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once this creamy layer :D in the stack gets adjusted, i dont think it will take too long for the scores to come down, but the question is when will this take effect. Even if they announce the changes later this Fall, we dont know when are they going to put the plan into action. Too much delay is just going to increase the backlog of deserving candidates.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thourb said:
It is a deliberate decision on the part of the Canadian government to offer a proportionately high number of points to those who are young. People under 30 are going to contribute to the Canadian economy for longer, pay more taxes, generally be healthier and will be less reliant on state aid. Older people will contribute for a shorter period of time and are more likely to experience health issues and become a burden to the state. Of course, I'm generalising here and Canada needs a mix of both youth and experience, but if their justification for increased immigration is focused on economic grounds they are going to want to have more younger immigrants as collectively they will be more beneficial to the economy in the long term than older applicants.

In relation to official language proficiency, I don't have access to all of the statistics that CIC do, but I'd be willing to bet that those with higher language scores - on average - have a better chance of getting a job and integrating into the community than those with "a language test that is not that shiny". Of course, due to the fact that CIC are working with a finite target of around 300,000 immigrants per year, any change in the immigration system which benefits one group is going to disadvantage another. It's all a question of finding the right mix of people. Clearly 600 points for LMIA is having an adverse effect on people with very high human capital and is far too skewed in the direction of those fortunate enough to secure a job offer. Likewise, having anything more than 200 points would likely have little net effect on who is nominated, due to the fact that most people who are eligible for FSW have a score of 300+.

1. Part of the FSW score itself is score for ties with canada and arrange employment (up to 20 points in total). with that you can enter even with lower basic points. But on the spot you will get additional points for LMIA.

2. Major reason why to give decent amount of points for younger applicants is less romanting. Younger people will not bother social system so much as they tend to be more healthy (and they will choose those healthier), they tend to work more and be less picky and demanding. And most importantly they are more flexible and it will be easier for them to return back to their country of origin after some years spent working in Canada (why else to be so lenient as to let people have double citizenship). They did not cost a thing Canada (all their education was paid by somebody else - country of origin or it was their own budget). And for Canada it preferably does not want to see that many of them to really settle down and burden social system.

3. In comparison people in mid 30th or older will be less prone to change again (usually they are already settled down and they do not want to repeat that proces any time in the future again). Some of them will leave very soon, while most of them wants to stay for good. They are also more aware of their value, thus is not that easy to exploit them as cheap paid labour (in their own profession of course). So it is clear, that they are not that wanted to immigrate. So they are higher potential for the social burden later once they become old.

4. Language test - seeing it myself and seeing lot of people hunting down just 0,5 point in order to get the needed score (including people, that were actively working with the language in their profession - like Journalist, English literature professors and such...) shows to me that there is very little difference between CBL 7 and CBL 9 user when it comes to dealing with real life or their profession. However I do understand that they need somehow differentiate among that huge amount of potential applicant even if it is for the sake of statistics rather than anything else.

Interestingly enough for programm Mobilite francophone, you need to prove to have French level CBL7 to be considered for this stream. And yes that is what a French native can achieve when tested without extra effort of specific preparation.

Interestingly enough around 50% of your CRS score is influenced by your language skills (1st and 2nd language + transferability + spouse language can give you up to around 250 points).

A the same time in most of the provincial programs, language is only around 20 to 25% and the most important part is played by combination of your work experience and related education. at the same time age penalties are usually used only after you are 35 or older (it does take time to finish university and get 6 to 10 years of relevant work experience).

JALT

Nov 3, 2015
vensak said:
Unless there will be max. 200 points for LMIA, it will have not much effect.
I think I heard McCallum say 200 points, or I read it somewhere. It might have been that Brampton (Bampton?) meeting he had where the international students grilled him