+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quit my PhD for research assistance full-time job

Thehoodboy

Jan 16, 2023
Hi there,

I'm having a really difficult time, as I found that my PhD program doesn't fit my expectation -- easy and not so rewarding. I'm thinking quitting my program as ive already found another professor at an another institution to work with as a research assistant, of course within the same field. My questions is:
1-Am i allowed to start working with my study permit while my application for a work permit (LMIA EXEMPT) is being processed?
2-How likely my application to changing my status can be accepted?
3- If they rejected my application, will I lose my study permit simultaneously?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I'm having a really difficult time, as I found that my PhD program doesn't fit my expectation -- easy and not so rewarding. I'm thinking quitting my program as ive already found another professor at an another institution to work with as a research assistant, of course within the same field. My questions is:
1-Am i allowed to start working with my study permit while my application for a work permit (LMIA EXEMPT) is being processed?
1. You can’t become a research assistant while not attending school using your current study permit. You would need to wait for the WP to get processed and hopefully approved. If you stop studying you will need to change your status to visitor while you wait for your WP. You don’t want to lose status in Canada.
2. I would assume pretty good as long as the level and type of research makes sense based on your previous studies and work history.
3. If you keep on studying until you hear the outcome of your WP then you can continue studying if your WP gets denied. If you stop studying while you wait for your WP application to be processed you will lose your study permit. The school will report you to IRCC as a no show and study permit will then get cancelled. This doesn’t happen right after Christmas it will slowly happen over the next month or two. If you won’t be continuing your studies you should change to visitor status so you remain a legal resident of Canada while waiting for the outcome of your WP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

1. You can work up to 20 hours a week for your new employer provided you remain in your program as a full time student. Once the WP is approved, you can drop your studies and start working for your new employer full time.
2. I don't think ay of us can comment on that.
3. No, your study permit will still be valid. However make sure you continue your studies full time until the WP is approved.

aerospace1365

Star Member
Jan 29, 2022
1. You can work up to 20 hours a week for your new employer provided you remain in your program as a full time student. Once the WP is approved, you can drop your studies and start working for your new employer full time.
2. I don't think ay of us can comment on that.
3. No, your study permit will still be valid. However make sure you continue your studies full time until the WP is approved.
Hello, your response was really helpful. I have a question too. I am a Ph.D. student, but the last month I got a job offer from NOC B, permanent and full-time. Can I apply with my job offer, paystub, for a work permit? if they accept my request, I will resign from my program.
Can I go to the US border for the WP application?
Regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, your response was really helpful. I have a question too. I am a Ph.D. student, but the last month I got a job offer from NOC B, permanent and full-time. Can I apply with my job offer, paystub, for a work permit? if they accept my request, I will resign from my program.
Can I go to the US border for the WP application?
Regards
Have you confirmed the job is LMIA exempt?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: aerospace1365

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi there,

The very first step I would recommend is checking and assuring whether the Uni will provide you the paperwork whenever needed and to support you? Would the professor step in if need arise? As Uni and big companies only care about their research and work being done and nothing else and in the end mess everything by saying we follow standards and don't support this.