+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quickest way to enter Canada

Ang3liika

Dec 30, 2012
It was over 30 grams. He made a mistake but it is still unfair what immigration did. Anyhow, Canada is actually a dream come true to us, so no matter how much work it will involve we will do anything to get there.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Canada also bans people with DUIs. It's not about the law itself. Breaking the law shows disrespect for it.

Would you allow someone in your home that didn't follow your rules?

It's the willingness to break the law.

For the record, Canada's mj laws are looser than the USA. The only way to get in trouble here is to have it in separate baggies (intent to sell) and (I think) something in a confined space with children. But I'm very allergic to it so I really don't know or care. ;)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ang3liika said:
He qualifies for Alberta's Provincial Nominee Program under mechanic trades. That is also location where we would love to settle. I understand I can't just move to Canada without proper paperwork and visa. It has been 5 yrs since probation. He was not sentenced to any jail time.

I thought that FSW re opens in May, not March??
FSW opens in May. Main discussions are happening on this thread:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-fsw-points-criteria-announced-new-federal-skilled-trades-class-fstc-t115576.0.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ang3liika said:
Well, he was trying to get residency in US based on political asylum but the judge rejected the appeal because nobody out of his family was hospitalized, and that is the basic requirment for asylum in the US. He has proofs that his family was and still is in danger if came back to Colombia. So would refugee work for Canada?? I mean, I am so scared for him to go back there!
If he was already refused refugee status in the US then don't apply for refugee status in Canada. Extremely low chance of success. Go with either the federal skilled worker or provincial nominee immigration route.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Layman said:
OMG! All this hassle just because he was in possession of 30 grams of marijuana more than five years ago? Is Canada on planet Earth? Seems likes it´s easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than anyone with a minor offence making it to Canada in a reasonable period.

In Portugal he would be considered as someone in need of reintegration. In Canada he´s just a plain criminal. despite possessing skills the country is in dire need of ... ::)
30 grams of Cannabis in Singapore can net you 10 years imprisonment and a fine of $20,000 500 grams could get the death penalty

Layman

Oct 16, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

30 grams of Cannabis in Singapore can net you 10 years imprisonment and a fine of $20,000 500 grams could get the death penalty
Yes, that´s absolutely true. Not only Singapore, but at least Hong Kong as well. By that measure, Canadian laws are quite lax.

According to this account, however, the man was in possession of 30 gr. of marijuana over 5 yrs. ago. In my view, if he has committed no ofence since then it makes little sense imposing restrictions so tightfor being allowed into Canada.

If he had been involved in armed robbery, wife beating, organized crime, etc ... OK that´s something to be seriously concerned about ... not the marijuana bit ... something perfectly legal to publicly consume in many public venues in
Holland.

As Einstein famously quipped:

“Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PMM said:
Hi

I believe possession over 30 grams is also a life-time in the US. I suspect this is why the OP is looking to immigrate to Canada.

Ang3liika

Dec 30, 2012
Yes, I believe he won't be ever able to be legally in States for more than few months and that's why Canada is a way to go. However, we were thinking about Canada for quite a while so now we just got this extra 'push' to actually do it.

And do not even get me started on the immigration laws here....just one word...REFoRM!! He was a kid who played with weed once, was very unlucky and got caught, and now he is paying for it the ultimate price. Like I said laws are there to obey them but everyone deserves a second chance. The fact that he has a child and entire family he supported did not matter. The fact that he owns a successful business and created workplaces for many people did not matter. The fact that he paid taxes and never asked government for a penny did not matter. And many may say my opinion is biased because I love the man, but you have no idea how many people I talked to about this and everyone, and I mean everyone, is saying this isn't fair!

peggiechua

Star Member
Mar 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ang3liika said:
Yes, I believe he won't be ever able to be legally in States for more than few months and that's why Canada is a way to go. However, we were thinking about Canada for quite a while so now we just got this extra 'push' to actually do it.

And do not even get me started on the immigration laws here....just one word...REFoRM!! He was a kid who played with weed once, was very unlucky and got caught, and now he is paying for it the ultimate price. Like I said laws are there to obey them but everyone deserves a second chance. The fact that he has a child and entire family he supported did not matter. The fact that he owns a successful business and created workplaces for many people did not matter. The fact that he paid taxes and never asked government for a penny did not matter. And many may say my opinion is biased because I love the man, but you have no idea how many people I talked to about this and everyone, and I mean everyone, is saying this isn't fair!

You said that very well Ang3liika. Some teenagers go through the phase of curiosity trying out what they think is cool or get easily influence by peers. But as they grow old, they mature and learn from their mistakes. Everyone does deserve a second chance. What happened to him was unfair, because he proved that he changed and like what you've said never asked a penny from the government, but instead he built his own company. One of the reason why the Canadian Government or Minister Kenny per se is becoming strict when it comes to future immigrants is because of the (some) previous immigrants who end up getting no jobs due to language barrier or education. So they changed the rules and the immigration is getting stricter with the requirements for getting a visa. I know the issue with language barrier or education of some immigrants has nothing to do or cannot be compared with Ang3liika's fiance situation. But somehow, I can relate it to the situation.

I think the reason why Minister Kenney is being strict now is because he doesn't want the immigrants to depend from the government. Like what he said from his previous speech, he doesn't want the new Canadians (immigrants) to step in pearson international airport and wonder if they will have a future or not in canada or wonder if they did the right decision on leaving their home country, selling their properties and leaving nothing for Canada. He wants the future Canadians to have the thoughts of security and no regrets of choosing Canada once they step their feet in Pearson International Airport. He doesn't want to see cab drivers in Canada who are professionals in their home country (doctors/dentists/managers etc) driving a cab and can't use or practice their profession back home. He said that's the reason why they're going to make new changes for the FSW. The reason why all future applicants have to have their education evaluate first in Canada and it will be up to the evaluators how many points they will give to the applicants under education. If you'll think about it, even if you reached the maximum points of age and language under FSW, a person will not pass unless he/she has an offer from an employer in Canada and unless that applicant took up a master degree or PhD. Or it depends on the country if they have the same years or level of education with Canada. Most of the applicants here in the Philippines who took up engineering will take 5 years to finish the said course, but some people said, in Canada the equivalent is only 4 years. From elementary to secondary, all in all, we only have 10 years of study + 3 years college (trimester) or 4 years college in our country and that will equal to 13 or 14 years FTS. And some are not even sure if they will be given 14 years FTS since under the new rules of FSW you have to send your TOR in Canada for evaluation. So it's either you advance your degree to master degree or PhD or have an employer or spend thousand of dollars to study in Canada. I understand Minister Kenney and can see where he's coming from. It does make sense. What's the use of having a bachelor degree or working as a doctor or nurse or teacher or dentist from your home country if you will be given an impression that your life will be much better in Canada, not knowing that in Canada most employers require experience or have a certificate from one of the colleges or universities in Canada or you have to take up the board exam for doctors or take up some subjects for the nurses to fit their requirements for whatever position they're looking for. If you will try the "Determine your Eligibility" in CIC website, and try doing the FSW, even if you choose your occupation under NOC O,A, or B and choose High Proficiency for the 1st language, and choose No for the question of having an employer, the result will tell you sorry but you are not eligible to apply under FSW, but you can trying applying as a student etc. Even the IELTS has already a requirement. You need to have this specific score for you to be able to reach the points of 67. And you even have to do better and make sure you calculate your points more than 67 because how you score yourself in each category may be different for the VO's score. It might be higher than the score you got for yourself or lower.

just my two cents

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
Ang3liika said:
It was over 30 grams. He made a mistake but it is still unfair what immigration did. Anyhow, Canada is actually a dream come true to us, so no matter how much work it will involve we will do anything to get there.
No it's not unfair. Are you aware that good honest hardworking people who have never broken a single law in their life get refused all the time? That is not fair. In your case, its very fair and very lenient. Canada gets to chose its immigrants, and chosing to keep out the criminally-minded ones is very right and very fair. Hopefully CIC will take it seriously that he stayed as an illegal for 7 years in the states and not give him a PR. I dont think either of you have any committment to Canada.

Ang3liika

Dec 30, 2012
Steerpike,

Illegally??? Im sorry but US have him social security number, gave him permission to work and contribute. Yes, it is unfair because everyone commits mistakes. He was a child when he did a ONE TIME stupid thing. He did not hurt or stole from anyone. There are people who walk among us who are thieves, who abuse others, and who take advantage of country's help. My fiancée learned from his mistake and contributed to this society. He created workplaces, and now that he's gone many US citizens who were his employees suffer. Yes, Canada gets to chose its immigrants but we are not asking it to let a criminal in. He admits to everything he did and he does not try to hide it. Do you think it's fair a person is separated from their entire family, including a 3 year-old son, and gets sent to a country that essentially is foreign to him?! Do you think its fair that a perosn who came to US as a child gets Colombia after 12 years and has no one waiting to pick him up at the airport? Is that fair to you? Obviously, you carry a lot of bitterness inside of you, and seeing someone write 'I hope you won't get a PR' just proves what is wrong with people nowadays. If something didn't work out for you, you shouldn't wish others bad luck. How would you feel if I said I wish you will never see you husband/wife again or see them only couple times a year?? I am fighting his case not only for our family but for everyone else's sake, so this will never happen to anyone. I am pretty sure that the fact that he has been working with people from Canada all those years does show our true interest in relocating. We are young and we are ambitious. We are not some deadbeat kids who run the street wild all day long. He works, and probably works harder than anyone else. And it's not only my opinion. I work two jobs, go to school, and have big plans for the future. I don't want to sound obnoxious but honestly, not many people my age can say they already achieved what I did. So please, before you go around judging people and wishing them the worse, refer to your own issue and I really hope you will resolve them.

Patience09

Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 06 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 06 2014
File Transfer...
Jan 13 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 18 2013
Angeliika,

I feel for you and hope that you will not lose your determination. As you said, it is a mistake and you both and your family are paying for it. Be prepared to have a lot of patience and don't give up.

My boyfriend and I have been waiting for 22 months for his rehabilitation application to be processed, and it's the most frustrating thing that we've ever done. We've been dealing with Visa office closures and transfers of his file. I think that no matter what route you both decide on, he will need to apply for rehabilitation if he hopes to come to Canada.

Good luck with everything!