+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUESTION REGARDING SINP STUDENT CATEGORY.

michael281001

Jun 5, 2010
Dear people,

I intend to apply for SINP under the student category. In order for me to fullfill the eligibility criteria, i need to work for 960 hours and at least 6 months in Saskatchewan. Currently, i have a full-time job and i have been working for the same employer for 2 months. I need 4 more months in order to achieve 6 months of employment period in Saskatchewan.

A few person who i met sent in the application even before obtaining 6 months of employment period, but they have obtained 960 hours at the time they send in the application.All the them had successfully obtained their permanent residenship.

Below are my enquiry:

1) Can i send in my application in advance, just as long as i have obtained 960 hours of work experience in Saskatchewan?

I really hope somebody who is familiar with SINP student category can give me some advice and answer to my question. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

akhan127

Star Member
Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP- Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2013
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
11-02-2014 RPRF Request..: 31-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-04-2014
LANDED..........
17-04-2014
Hi Michael,

I'm not so sure but I think you need 960 hours and not six months. Six months is just an estimate.

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Hi. I myself had wanted to do the same thing. I emailed SINP and they said the processing time has nothing to do with the requirements. They want us to finish 960 hours and also to have worked 6 months before we submit our SINP application.

Whiteberry

Apr 25, 2012
Yes, the same question! Can i just take 3-4 months to meet the 960 working hours in SK as long as i can submit my application to SINP?I saw somebody said YES and some said NO. Are there some people staying in the same situation similar to me?

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
I am also a SINP hopeful in the student stream. They emailed to say we must do 960 hours AND 6 months work experience.

But with the changes that happened on May 1st, anyone who graduated outside of SK needs to work 1 year :eek:

sim24

Oct 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2011
Doc's Request.
09-09-2011 (fingerprints)
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
09-09-2011
File Transfer...
04-17-2012 to LA
Med's Request
09-09-2011
Med's Done....
09-30-2011
Passport Req..
06-19-2012
VISA ISSUED...
07-09-2012
michael281001 said:
Dear people,

I intend to apply for SINP under the student category. In order for me to fullfill the eligibility criteria, i need to work for 960 hours and at least 6 months in Saskatchewan. Currently, i have a full-time job and i have been working for the same employer for 2 months. I need 4 more months in order to achieve 6 months of employment period in Saskatchewan.

A few person who i met sent in the application even before obtaining 6 months of employment period, but they have obtained 960 hours at the time they send in the application.All the them had successfully obtained their permanent residenship.

It is ok if you send it if you are more than 5 months with 960 hours.. That is what I did and I was told that by the time they get to ur application ur already at 6 months.. Buh nt aftr 3-4 months for sure... Hope that helps.
Below are my enquiry:

1) Can i send in my application in advance, just as long as i have obtained 960 hours of work experience in Saskatchewan?

I really hope somebody who is familiar with SINP student category can give me some advice and answer to my question. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

hsabharwal

May 8, 2012
Hi Michael

The rules of SINP earlier (way back ) stated that one needs to complete 960 hours ,there was no condition on the number of months worked but now it needs to be 960 hrs and 6 months .but if you do complete your 960 hrs in say 5 months ,you are good to go because by the time they will start taking heed of you application you would be well over the 6 months mark but completing 960 hrs in 3 months and then applying is not allowed now .

arif215

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2012
Doc's Request.
14-06-2012
Nomination.....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2013
peachie said:
I am also a SINP hopeful in the student stream. They emailed to say we must do 960 hours AND 6 months work experience.

But with the changes that happened on May 1st, anyone who graduated outside of SK needs to work 1 year :eek:
I called SINP office regarding this. They said that if you can prove that you started working before May 1 in SK, then you will fall under the old rules i.e. 6months AND 960hrs.

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
You're right arif 215. I am so glad about this news. My problem now is my company closed down and I am in between jobs right now. I worked 4 months and have to get a permanent full time job to work my 2 remaining months but I was told by SINP to try to find a job within 1 month.

It is so stressful. I will try to get any job I can. I wish to have a genie who can grant me this wish, it seems Saskatoon has a low unemployment and it's also employed people who are competing against unemployed for posted jobs.

arif215

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2012
Doc's Request.
14-06-2012
Nomination.....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2013
peachie said:
You're right arif 215. I am so glad about this news. My problem now is my company closed down and I am in between jobs right now. I worked 4 months and have to get a permanent full time job to work my 2 remaining months but I was told by SINP to try to find a job within 1 month.

It is so stressful. I will try to get any job I can. I wish to have a genie who can grant me this wish, it seems Saskatoon has a low unemployment and it's also employed people who are competing against unemployed for posted jobs.
You should be fine. A friend of mine completed his 6m full time work but his company is closing down so he is also job hunting now. He has already finished the 960hrs requirement but is waiting for his new job to apply with the new offer letter. As long as you can prove that you have started working before May 1, you should be fine.

For me, I am still waiting for my SINP approval but my PGWP runs out next month, so I am in trouble too :(

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Arif,

I have asked CIC about what to do when our PGWP is about to run out and the SINP certification has not come out yet. They say to change your status into a visitor visa, student visa, etc. I hope it helps because you can't be out of status after PGWP.

arif215

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2012
Doc's Request.
14-06-2012
Nomination.....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2013
I talked to my lawyer about this. What he said was this: Before my PGWP runs out, to apply for an extension. This will get refused. But it will take another month for the refusal to come. In the meantime if SINP comes back, then apply with SINP for extension. If work permit refusal comes but SINP hasn't come in yet, then with the work permit refusal, I have to leave within 90 days. And within that 90 days, SINP should arrive. Then I can apply as normal for Work Permit extension.

Now this is what my lawyer said. A friend of mine said that she simply did nothing when her PGWP expired and when the SINP approval came in, she applied with the SINP for extension.

Which one do you think is ok?

peachie

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Arif,

I suggest you call CIC call centre 1888 242 2100. These people were the ones who said to apply for a visitor visa while waiting for SINP approval. With the expired PGWP, obviously you can't work anyway so it doesn't mater if you are on visitor visa as long as you are not out of status and not breaking any law federally by working with an expired PGWP. Ask them about not being able to work also.

Well if you are working with your employer still, I recommend doing the LMO application which doesn't require the employer to advertise for your position since you are the incumbent employee with HRSDC Canada. I think this way you have "implied status" by applying for a closed work permit, send it to Vegreville with the proof that you have applied for LMO, and let them know that the LMO is on its way. This I know is correct because I have asked them this question previously. this way you can continue to work. But double check with CIC for both our sakes.

Let me know about the results. :)

arif215

Star Member
May 6, 2012
Regina
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-01-2012
Doc's Request.
14-06-2012
Nomination.....
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2013
I had actually asked SINP about this. What they told me is this: "you have to make arrangements yourself to ensure your stay in Canada."

Thats not really helpful :( I am going to have to try CIC next now. Will let you know how it goes.