+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question re Quebec form (after sponsor approval received from IRCC)

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
I'm the applicant and my husband is the sponsor (he is in Quebec). We've just had sponsorship approval from IRCC and the letter he received regarding that said he now needs to complete the Quebec form (it's called the "Demande d’engagement"). I was wondering if anyone knows if we have to do that immediately, ie, is there a time frame (a bit like when they give the applicant 30 days to complete the Biometrics and medical exams)? I am due to go there in a few weeks' time so would prefer to send that form when I'm there (you have to post it anyway PLUS send another payment). My husband isn't the most patient person when it comes to administration/completing forms (basically I've done all the previous visa application stuff lol), so I'd rather do it on his behalf just to make sure there are no errors.

Thanks for any tips from anyone who knows, or has sponsored someone to live with them in Quebec.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I'm the applicant and my husband is the sponsor (he is in Quebec). We've just had sponsorship approval from IRCC and the letter he received regarding that said he now needs to complete the Quebec form (it's called the "Demande d’engagement"). I was wondering if anyone knows if we have to do that immediately, ie, is there a time frame (a bit like when they give the applicant 30 days to complete the Biometrics and medical exams)? I am due to go there in a few weeks' time so would prefer to send that form when I'm there (you have to post it anyway PLUS send another payment). My husband isn't the most patient person when it comes to administration/completing forms (basically I've done all the previous visa application stuff lol), so I'd rather do it on his behalf just to make sure there are no errors.

Thanks for any tips from anyone who knows, or has sponsored someone to live with them in Quebec.
If you are thinking of doing it within a month - then it`s ok. MIFI requires original signatures so you`ll have to send you documents by post to your husband first and this takes time to arrive. So if you travel really soon, it would be all the same. It`s maybe a good idea to start filling the forms right away as it may take some time and just bring them with you.

IRCC usually does not impose strict deadlines to get the CSQ however they do expect you to complete the process in a timely manner - general expectation is that you send your request within 2-3 weeks of receiving the sponsor approval from IRCC.. There are reported cases on this forum from people who delayed the application to MIFI and received an explicit request from IRCC to submit the CSQ within next 30 days. Which is usually not possible as MIFI can take 3 months to process your request.

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
If you are thinking of doing it within a month - then it`s ok. MIFI requires original signatures so you`ll have to send you documents by post to your husband first and this takes time to arrive. So if you travel really soon, it would be all the same. It`s maybe a good idea to start filling the forms right away as it may take some time and just bring them with you.

IRCC usually does not impose strict deadlines to get the CSQ however they do expect you to complete the process in a timely manner - general expectation is that you send your request within 2-3 weeks of receiving the sponsor approval from IRCC.. There are reported cases on this forum from people who delayed the application to MIFI and received an explicit request from IRCC to submit the CSQ within next 30 days. Which is usually not possible as MIFI can take 3 months to process your request.
Thanks for your response. Well I'm flying out there on 17 May (for six months) and have already looked at the forms we need to send, completed my one, almost completed the joint one and the one regarding his financial circumstances will have to wait till I'm there I'm afraid because I need to look at his previous tax slips for the past year/notice of assessment, etc. I think I will contact IRCC next week to explain this. As I mentioned, administration isn't his strong point (nor patience - lol!) and I'd rather do it myself to ensure it's all correct and complete. I think realistically I'll be in a position to post everything to them by the end of May when I'm actually in Quebec, I'm hoping this isn't considered too slow for them. I'll check with them, or get him to phone them.

Thanks for the tips anyway, from someone who's obviously been through the experience of dealing with the Quebec side too! :)

Last edited:

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Thanks for your response. Well I'm flying out there on 17 May (for six months) and have already looked at the forms we need to send, completed my one, almost completed the joint one and the one regarding his financial circumstances will have to wait till I'm there I'm afraid because I need to look at his previous tax slips for the past year/notice of assessment, etc. I think I will contact IRCC next week to explain this. As I mentioned, administration isn't his strong point (nor patience - lol!) and I'd rather do it myself to ensure it's all correct and complete. I think realistically I'll be in a position to post everything to them by the end of May when I'm actually in Quebec, I'm hoping this isn't considered too slow for them. I'll check with them, or get him to phone them.

Thanks for the tips anyway, from someone who's obviously been through the experience of dealing with the Quebec side too! :)
You don't have to contact IRCC, they really don't care until they ask for something directly. Since you had your SA on 18 April and you'll be here a month later, I guess you will be ok if you submit the CSQ application without delay within few days of your arrival.

In case IRCC sends you the request for CSQ with a set deadline: you'll provide them with the postage details (use tracked mail when sending your application) and AOR from MIFI (if you'll get one by that time) - that would be enough to extend your deadline.

Joey-Jo

Mar 18, 2024
You don't have to contact IRCC, they really don't care until they ask for something directly. Since you had your SA on 18 April and you'll be here a month later, I guess you will be ok if you submit the CSQ application without delay within few days of your arrival.

In case IRCC sends you the request for CSQ with a set deadline: you'll provide them with the postage details (use tracked mail when sending your application) and AOR from MIFI (if you'll get one by that time) - that would be enough to extend your deadline.
Ok thanks very much. It would seem a bit strict to expect applicants abroad to send original signed copies fast, to be honest It's almost as if they assume the applicant is already in Quebec and can do this easily. Luckily I'd already booked my trip a while ago (sorry I don't trust the international postal service!). I also think it's a bit archaic that Quebec only accepts posted applications rather than online ones with digital signatures. Bit backward if you ask me, but there you go!