+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on Restoration

Fuzu

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
I've heard from a lawyer on YouTube that in Canada, under IRPA immigration law, there's a 90-day grace period to apply for restoration ( another work permit / study permit ) once your current work permit or any permit expires. After applying, you'll be on implied status until a decision is reached. While it's advisable to apply before the current status expires, as long as you apply within the 90-day timeframe after current status expiry, you're not in violation of any laws. I simply want to confirm the accuracy of this information regarding immigration regulations.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I've heard from a lawyer on YouTube that in Canada, under IRPA immigration law, there's a 90-day grace period to apply for restoration ( another work permit / study permit ) once your current work permit or any permit expires. After applying, you'll be on implied status until a decision is reached. While it's advisable to apply before the current status expires, as long as you apply within the 90-day timeframe after current status expiry, you're not in violation of any laws. I simply want to confirm the accuracy of this information regarding immigration regulations.
This is an incorrect understanding. Yes, you have 90 days to restore your status however you remain out of status until the restoration application is approved (you do not have implied status). It also should not be regarded as a grace period. That's the wrong way to look at it. Think of it more as a last chance. Also keep in mind that there's never a guarantee restoration will in fact be approved. If you fall out of status then it's very much recommended to apply for restoration as soon as possible. It is not advisable to wait until the end of the 90 days.

• Love
Reactions: canuck78 and Fuzu

Fuzu

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
This is an incorrect understanding. Yes, you have 90 days to restore your status however you remain out of status until the restoration application is approved (you do not have implied status). It also should not be regarded as a grace period. That's the wrong way to look at it. Think of it more as a last chance. Also keep in mind that there's never a guarantee restoration will in fact be approved. If you fall out of status then it's very much recommended to apply for restoration as soon as possible. It is not advisable to wait until the end of the 90 days.
thank you @scylla I understand what you are saying and agree. But just to reconfirm let’s say someone exits Canada within the 90 days of status expiry, although they have passed their status expiry date, they are still legally allowed to stay for those 90 days given at some point they apply for restoration. And although you should declare this in future applications, these will in no way affect future applications since the 90 days is mentioned in the IRPA law, correct ? I just need to utilize the 90 days to figure stuff out like residence, money etc before I leave. Even if restoration is approved for visitor I’m planning to leave but need the 90 days to figure stuff out.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Must be an old YT video since `Implied' status was replaced with `Maintained' status a few years ago.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you @scylla I understand what you are saying and agree. But just to reconfirm let’s say someone exits Canada within the 90 days of status expiry, although they have passed their status expiry date, they are still legally allowed to stay for those 90 days given at some point they apply for restoration. And although you should declare this in future applications, these will in no way affect future applications since the 90 days is mentioned in the IRPA law, correct ? I just need to utilize the 90 days to figure stuff out like residence, money etc before I leave. Even if restoration is approved for visitor I’m planning to leave but need the 90 days to figure stuff out.
This makes no sense. If a person leaves Canada, how are they able to legally (or even illegally stay in Canada)? They are not even in Canada if they have left, right?

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I don't understand the point of what you are planning to do either. Why not just leave?

Fuzu

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
Must be an old YT video since `Implied' status was replaced with `Maintained' status a few years ago.
Hi Ponga thank you for your reply. If I am on maintenez status I did not break any rules correct ?

Fuzu

Star Member
Oct 6, 2021
During the processing of a restoration application, should an officer determine that the foreign national has left Canada, the officer shall refuse the application restoration as the foreign national is no longer eligible.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html
hi ponga i think you my have misunderstood. I was just saying after status expiry if I apply for restoration from within Canada within 90 days I am good right ?